1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Targets for a KPJ Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jags, Sep 13, 2023.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I can't get in the head of a narcissistic billionaire who has a TV show about himself, but I think he SHOULD care that the fans now have reason to believe he knew about someone who had violently abused his girlfriend on his sports team, and he went beyond doing nothing, but also had the front office paint a picture of someone who has matured.

Obviously Tillman isn't as principled as I would like, but it is what it is. He didn't become a sleaze bag billionaire caring what fans like me think I guess.

As I said a couple times already, I'll be rooting for the Rockets next year because of the players, the love of Houston, and our community here. I do not root for the organizations leadership though in any way. That is a change in my behavior as a fan that, if a large percentage of the fans also feel the same way, absolutely could have tangible net negative affects. Word of mouth to stay at MGM instead of Golden Nugget, reputational harm on the restaurants, etc. etc.

When you make yourself bigger than your brand, as we saw with Trump, it can have harm eventually on the overall brand, and products you are selling if you start to be known as a scumbag in the public eye.

Do I think he cares about reputational harm... no. Do I think he should... yeah. If I was his business strategy consultant guess what.... I would tell him to handle this situation differently.

#181 dobro1229, Sep 14, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What are those things, Forest cafe or Coral something, never cared about his Landry coupons.

I would rather just eat at Burger joints.

3. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

I don’t discard the possibility of KPJ involved in Dame’s trade, where the Blazers prefer one or 2 extra 1st picks instead of a player from another team (Herro, etc…), absorbing KPJ as expiring

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

you should because its never going to happen. wishful thinking, being delusional, not understanding value whatever you want to call it doesn't change that

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cool story, bruh!

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You are putting all of these different troubles with different players on equal footing to two violent felony charges. There was a lot of outrage against the Astros after the Osuna deal even though there was technically no crime.

If Lebron got caught beating the **** out of his wife, strangling her, and breaking her neck with multiple felony charges filed immediately then he would be exiled from the league and lose every single deal he has. Michael Vick lost everything with his dog fighting. He showed amazing contrition and rehabbed himself in prison and was allowed back into the NFL.

That said Kobe got away with choking and raping a girl and got the charges dropped so there's a point in your favor.

However all this is extremely trashy and sloppy to even have this leak. Yeah sure I get that it’s a business and business can be cold and calculated and **** gets covered up…but maybe don’t let your amoral calculations leak to the public immediately after a story like this breaks.

7. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

I don’t think it will happen because of the horrible optics. Otherwise, as if he were for example badly injured instead of a horrible human being, it could make sense

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah I'm sure Portland (which had to abandon Jason Kidd pursuit due to his DV history) and then hired Chauncey (who also had a rape allegation in the past) is eager to recreate the Jailblazers era as it tanks its way to supremacy even if it 's just on paper.

A very real possibility! I'm sure Jody Allen wants to make that her parting gift to the franchise, city.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

nah it wouldn't. in no way is portland trading the face of their franchise for a kpj regardless of what picks. You act like portland hasn't received plenty of offers for Dame in the past several years. Easily better than the best player you can offer kpj lol

This is what i refer to when talking about player value evaluation around here. Too many folks think the outside overrate rockets players as much as people do on this board.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That sounded just like a JailBlazer fantasy.

11. i3artow i3aller

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I don't think that the Rockets have the assets ( that they are willing to part with) to trade for a guy like Siakam.

There's multiple teams who would make more attractive offers. The inclusion of Porter in the deal makes our offer even less attractive.

YOLO likes this.
  13. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wrong. We can look to recent examples with Sarver and Sterling in the NBA, Snyder in the NFL. Fans and team employees have and should continue to hold these owners to a higher ethical standard.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Testing the market and also the maximum pain tolerance level of NBA teams.

Ancient Moabite and Plowman like this.
  15. TheSource

TheSource Member

keep an eye on Finney-Smith and Duncan Robinson

16. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

I just heard on a Shams vid on Twitter . The team that gets Porter Jr not only can waive him but will get help being freed up some with his contract . Houston is trying to take advantage of all this and getting a player out of this from a team willing to trade .

Corrosion and DaDakota like this.
  17. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

Yeap that one lol .

Ancient Moabite and daywalker02 like this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

See even Shams has a reasonable take on "you have to weigh the optics"

News flash - they're really really bad!

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not just the optics.

You do not give the beggar when he most needs it but give him kindness around Christmas, when he least expects it.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's the thing, charges get dropped because how the American legal system works it protects those with money and power, as we've seen time and time again. Yes, Kobe likely got away with choking and raping a girl, that's true...but then Kobe is celebrated, the cover of the latest NBA game, has awards named after him.

Ask yourself this question, would any of this be true if the rest of Kobe's career he was an okay player, a fringe all-star? My guess is if the rest of his career was disappointing Kobe's legacy would be that, that he raped a girl, but his winning, his success, wiped all of that away. Great example of this is Tiger Woods, that he did not come back and dominate after his scandals means all of that is more factored into his legacy.

Here is the difference between Porter and Vick right now. Vick was guilty and went to prison. Porter is charged. Vick pleaded guilty, Porter has not. I'll stress here, I'd bet everything that Porter is guilty here but if he gets a lighter sentence/punishment then what he (I feel) deserves he would not be the first man with money that got away with abusing his partner.

Another thing supporting my point here, the Falcons did not release Vick DESPITE him pleading guilty, not only that, they then also put him up for trade (but no one traded for him) and how has that hurt the Falcons reputation or their owner? Barely at all. People talk about it for a year or so then move on. Reality is no one gives a flip about the PR, if the Rockets suck next year people will meme and joke more about their lack of success than they would this KPJ stuff and if the Rockets are a respectable team people will just say getting rid of KPJ helped the team that's about it.