1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Meet Me in the Middle

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by MadMax, Sep 5, 2023.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I get ya....I question him too...a lot!

2. verse

verse Contributing Member

I will say the nihilism is tiring. Even in my nadir, I have hope.

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I forgot the exact user name but something like "cangere" was the OG of being highly critical and negative in game threads. This was just as the Astros were finally good after all those terrible years and he ticked off all the regular posters who had been here through the bad years. Now that there was finally a good team to talk about, he angered many with his negativity. He was banned for what was probably tame compared to what is said in game threads these days.

4. MadMax

If we had never won a WS before, I'd get it. If we were Rangers fans...or A's fans with a team about to move away...or Rockies fans...I'd totally get the no hope ****. But I'll never get it as fans of a franchise that has done what the Astros have done since 2017. I can't make people see it my way, and that's ok. But this forum is exhausting to just be an Astros fan in.

5. MadMax

you're so tortured. i'm so sorry.

Buck Turgidson and marks0223 like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

It took me until a few weeks ago to accept that forum of the past is long gone. Some people just want or need to be whiny and angry all the time and that's what we have here. Even if we ultimately win the WS, the majority of people on this forum will have spent the last 6 months being angry and having their blood boiling every night - that's what sports is for them. You and I can't imagine what anyone gets out of that, but it is what it is. You'll enjoy life a lot more not bothering anymore and spending it with the people that actually find some happiness in sports.

7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

It really should be understood, at a very base level, by anyone here, that we all have hope.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. MadMax

you're right. thank you for saying that!

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. MadMax

Is there a way to delete a thread? @Clutch seriously just kill it if you can. Thanks!

10. red

red Contributing Member

GTFO MADMAX. No one is here for rational and nuanced discussion.

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

I'm sure you agree that it is exactly that fact that makes this team so sweet. We lived through the decades of hopelessness, never having reached our goal, never having won the race. We have...TWICE. So now we know the delectable joy of success. In the Killer B Era, I never actually BELIEVED they were going to do it, largely because no team in Astros history ever had. Now? I know these cats can do it because they've proven it...TWICE.

Games like yesterday only cement that belief. 90s Astros would've folded like a cheap suit, retreated into Operation Shutdown, and we'd be left with nothing but shame and public scrutiny. These guys get punched in the mouth, chuckle, then throw haymakers. I love that resolve, that unshakeable faith.

They aren't perfect. Their Skipper certainly isn't. But, I love this team and the way they represent the city, the state, and anyone who has ever been doubted. Come at them and find out how hard we fight, how hard we believe, and what the spirit of Houston really is.

12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

You gonna be ok?

raining threes likes this.
  13. MadMax

just not interested in offending people or "fighting online". I deal with enough conflict in my real job that I don't want it here or anywhere near my personal space. Dealing with my wife's dad dying and a bunch of client **** that is exhausting. thought I'd post my feelings about the Astros here, but I don't need to. Again, if I offended you, I'm sorry. I wish I hadn't posted it, honestly, because the people closest to me already know my connection to this stupid team.

14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Ok but you are the one who seemed offended. That’s why we have your thread here. At least don’t get that part of it twisted. Nothing here ever offends me. Go Astros.

RKREBORN likes this.
  15. MadMax

can't make it anymore clear. not interested in confrontation over being a fan of the astros. if that's what this thread did, I hope it's deleted, and i've asked for it. not why i started writing this to begin with. i'm not trying to fight with you. i don't need to "be here" to watch games, and that's cool. it's why i messaged you, to let you know I'm sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way, because it's not at all what I intended, and clearly I got it wrong thinking otherwise.

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Some of us are

17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

yeah your message struck me as passive aggressive but I guess I could be wrong. Try lightening up a bit, perhaps. In no way should anything here ever offend you. If it does, then absolutely why would you come here? I agree.

Go Astros!

18. MadMax

yeah i'm working on that

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree with you on the negative comments about the players as soon as they make any mistake at all

Verlander for example, some people are complaining about the trade to bring him back, saying he is trash

dude has given up 3 or less in 11 of 13 starts, he has been one of if not THE best pitcher in baseball for the past two months

But on Dusty, **** that dude. He may be "happy" when we win, but he don't try to put us in position to win. He has his favorites and he would rather watch them play than put the best team on the field. I tried with him for a while, but that dude is trash

As for him being a "championship" manager...**** that too, took him 29 years to win one....TWENTY ****ING NINE...and he had some great teams in there too

So na, he just finally had a team with a pitching staff too good for him to **** up

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

F*** that. Don't apologize to these children. Posts like this:

are beyond the pale. The man is beloved throughout baseball. Yes, I absolutely disagree with his lineups and some of his decision making. But some of these kids are taking this waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too personally...as if it somehow affects their daily lives in any form or fashion. I'm sure there was plenty of b***hing and moaning about tonight's lineups...and not for a bad reason. But I'm typing this as it's now 9-0 in the 3rd inning and Altuve just hit his 4th consecutive hr. Maybe there's a method to his madness. Maybe not. But we keep winning and the experts are still going to pick us as the favorite to get to the World Series for the 3rd consecutive year (under Dusty). I'll criticize where it's due. But saying stupid s*** like "he's a sh**ty human" (how did that word get through the filter, btw?) is simply wrong to me.

Hey Now! and BonziWellsGOAT like this.