1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 21, 2016.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I finished it. Not an easy read.

Tomstro likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Dang, y'all. This had drifted to page 4 in Hangout.

Anyway, I just read the novella Silence by Don DeLillo. A believable and cerebral present tense dystopian fiction set in Manhattan.
    Highly recommend it, and at worst, you won't have to invest that much time. But for those who want an intricate sci fi type plot, Silence won't scratch that itch. But I thought it nicely grappled with a serious "what if?"

arkoe and Xerobull like this.
  3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

ScriboErgoSum mentioned The Shadow of the Wind by Zafón a long time ago, I read it at the time but never got back to the rest of the series. After rereading The Shadow of the Wind since it's been at least ten years I thought The Angel's Game was fantastic and am in the middle of very much enjoying The Prisoner of Heaven. There is a fourth novel I will continue with after.

I also agree with Scribo's comment about Fermín being an exceptional character.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. MadMax

Demons by Dostoyevsky

5. elrond

elrond Member

I enjoyed all of the books, but Shadow of the Wind was definitely my favorite.

B-Bob and arkoe like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

I hope everything is okay, LOL.

MadMax likes this.
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Slip Runner series, on the final book now :)

Xerobull likes this.
  8. MadMax

If this thread is duplicative of another, please kill it…I searched and didn’t find one though admittedly I didn’t spend a lot of time looking.

I know there are threads about what you’re watching…but what are you reading?

Every December I re-read Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” which is my favorite fiction story of all. So that’s what I’m reading now.

We’re fortunate to have some authors in our midst like @B-Bob !!

So what are you reading?

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I’m glad to say that the Hangout does have a pretty big thread on reading books. :)

ofc, started by “Hangout Boy 2” @Xerobull

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/what-are-you-reading.271999/

Manny Ramirez, Xerobull and MadMax like this.
  10. MadMax

11. VanityHalfBlack

12. VanityHalfBlack

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I attempted to read Zoe Is Too Drunk For This Dystopia by Jason Pargin (John Dies at the End books) but it was just too much like the previous two books. I love Pargin’s writing but I just couldn’t get into it.

Nerd brag: my wife has access to advance reading copies (ARC) so I can get most digital books free before they hit the streets.

I’ve been reading the new Hulk comic run. It’s a horror comic which works very well for the Hulk since he’s essentially the rage/anger part of Banner’s personality. There are other aspects of Banner that come out as different colors of Hulk too.

Also continuing to read fiction on RoyalRoad.com. It’s really one of those hidden gems of the internet.

Murderbot is fantastic. I need to read book 7.

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'll have to check this one out. It's not easy for me to explain, but ultimately I credit listening to Ebert talk about films is what taught me how to appreciate art of all forms. The way he could coherently/eloquently express what he liked (or didn't like) about a movie at an atomic level is something that even a dummy like me could learn from and appreciate.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Zoey Punches the Future in the Dick is possibly my favorite book title ever. Just audiobooked all three entries in the series this last week.

images (2).jpeg

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Does book three diverge from the tired ‘people hate Zoe and there’s a mysterious plot against her?’ Plot line?

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. The central theme of the series seems to be 'social media sucks and amplifies mysogenistic assholes which in turn triggers people who are already mentally ill'. More of the same.

Xerobull likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Ah well. I’ll probably finish it anyway. I like the philosophical meanderings.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Reading Dead Souls by Nicolai Gogol (published 1842). It's been on my shelf for over a quarter century now, but only now reading it. Its a satire of Russian 19th century aristocratic life. It is funny, which you don't expect from 19th century Russian literature, but I'm also finding it interesting as history because it betrays a Russian inferiority complex they had in competing with Europe.

B-Bob and Xerobull like this.
  20. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Currently reading

'Runnin With The Devil' by Noel Monk
    "The True History of The Conquest of New Spain" by Bernal Diaz Del Castillo
    "Forget The Alamo" by Burrough, Tomlinson, Stanford

In the queue

Tonechaser "Understanding Edward: My 26-Year Journey with Edward Van Halen" by Steve Rosen