1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why doesn't Morey get the same criticism Stone did?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Aug 26, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You know nothing.

Alexander was known to arbitrarily make decisions for Morey.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/...says-he-wants-to-be-more-involved-this-summer

Nook likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You know nothing. Alexander intervened a lot. I do not understand but I at least add newspaper online articles while you sit on your arse.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/...says-he-wants-to-be-more-involved-this-summer

3. MultipleSauces

Before money no one cared about the GM. Stone is a better drafter and was a huge part of moreys success . Morley loved to extract value from inefficiencies in the market like undersized 4s

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey is washed and every GM knows it.

Stone is a mark who gets taken to the woodshed on trades.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Morey is incredibly overrated, and he’s an attention ho

always yapping and barking and looking for attention on social media, meanwhile he’s never even had one finals appearance

he also loves to oversell and underdeliver

napalm06, roslolian, PDJACK7 and 2 others like this.
  6. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

All Stone has done so far is not draft a bust with a high pick in two attempts (likely 3 for 3). Morey also regularly got value from late 1sts and early 2nds (Capela, Parsons, Harell, Melton), Morey even admitted the best talent evaluator in the NBA is still in Houston, Eli Witus, which makes me question why he's not GM.

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

yeah i remember him getting prime Tmac with prime Yao and running that team to the ground with some bs signings. The moment he finally lucked out with Scola (after several misses) Tmacs knees were done due to the burden he played with, and Yao toe was about to be done. All those Stromile Swifts, Bonzi Wellses... bruh. Imagine you get second coming of Kobe with best bigman since Shaq and you cant fill their supporting cast for 5 years. I will never forgive him wasting that team

8. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Morey only became GM in May 2007, Stromile Swift wasn't his signing (2006), and he only had two years with that core until Yao and Mac broke down for the final time. He inherited a team that had only three dudes score more than 6 points in a playoff game and within two years, assembled a team that took the Lakers to 7 games without McGrady or Yao.

You can hate the guy, but don't make up nonsense about him being around in 2004.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The OP’s transparent agenda is comical. Surprised they can take a break from stroking Stone to write this post.

I’ll wait for the, “you’re not a real rockets fan” response lol.

Nook likes this.
  10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

The first three players on your list were the consensus pick when we stepped up to the podium. Sengun is the only player that really stands out as being the one who has clearly outplayed his draft position, and IIRC that was mostly an Eli Witus pick.

Udoka was clearly influenced by the amount of young top tier talent that we have and the HUGE cap space that was going to be available at his disposal! That, along with the knowledge that the whole team had been mismanaged by an incompetent colleague under a mandate to tank made Houston an extremely desirable landing spot to resuscitate his coaching career!

Stone, if anything has been extremely lucky this far, being at the right place at the right time, but nothing really stands out per se from his resume! Having said that, either by luck or competence, I hope he's able to deliver what Morey was never unable to deliver...

Go ROCKETS!!!

#50 BamBam, Aug 28, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
    BaselineFade, DeBeards and Easy like this.
  11. bmelo

bmelo Member

So i have bad memory, i still think it was best Rockets potential since Hakeem and Clyde. Amazing somebody messed up that bad. We not only got talent we had whole ****ing Asia behind us. My God I hate to the guts whoever ****ed this thing over. Its easy to hate McGrady now but the moment he came be was another Kobe and he actually crushed in the playoffs

12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Are you talking like on a national stage? Most people don't even know who Stone is. The criticism is usually directed at Tilman. To casuals Stone is just the shadow GM. Can you name the Wizards GM off the top of your head? That's how other fans see Stone.

Dobbizzle and bmelo like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Stone is also a shadowy character.

14. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I’ve always thought Morey was a good but not great GM. He made his share of mistakes, along with some good moves. Same can be said for Stone. It’s worth mentioning that, even though we don’t know exactly what influence Tillman exercised on Morey, Stone appears to be operating under the “new and improved” version of Tillman, who learned from his mistakes, while Morey didn’t have that luxury.

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Daryl Morey had a All Star Team in the Front Office, Drafted Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry

Sam Hinkie, Gersson Rosas, Rafael Stone, Eli Witus.

Eli Witus has done a Great Job at the Top of the Draft especially.

#55 rockets1995, Aug 28, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    Nook likes this.
  16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

How did we GET into a position to have those consensus picks? The same way SAS got their consensus pick for Victor, but somehow the Spurs are celebrated as smart. Stone played the exact same game they did. Also all of those picks are great rebuilding blocks, especially Jalen & Jabari. Sengun's more of wildcard given his inability to defend

Young top tier talent, ridiculous cap space & yet Stone's incompetent? That's not by accident lol. Udoka saw the situation and wanted here because we had the resources to be a great team in a few years. We took on bad contracts for a REASON. Stone was patient and it paid off. You just don't give him credit because he's not Daryl Morey smh

There is no luck as a GM. He took on bad contracts, made cost friendly deals & built the organization back from scratch. You can't argue we were incompetent, and mismanaged, but then say he's in the right place right time lol. Doesn't make sense

Go Rockets!!!

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Spurs are not celebrated anymore but on the contrary they are viewed as still feeding off their 5 championships......

Udoka and Steve Kerr are all Spurs alumni so I would not underestimate what they did.

They had more success than the Rockets in the last 23 years but both franchises should move on from that.

Victor may not be Duncan but he certainly will sell a lot of jerseys, make big money, bring big money.

18. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

I don't care what Victor does. The point is the Spurs were revered the perfect place for Victor because their "culture" & a celebrated destination for him. Stone and the Rockets did the same thing but were seen as a mess. Mind you, our star player wasn't waving guns on ig. So why is the perception Stone's in over his head? Udoka wanted us for a reason

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All I meant is that your sentiment that people think the Spurs are above every other franchise is not true......they just have had a great tradition.

------- Solid organization with a solid management that never changes pursuing greatness.

The Spurs would have cut players like Primo, in Rox case KPJ.

The Spurs would not have hired Udoka when he had sexual affairs.

Of course they do things differently. We will see in 5 years who would be better.

#59 daywalker02, Aug 28, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
  20. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Morey made some good moves and he made some bad ones. Can't blame owner for his bad ones if you can't give the owner credit for his good ones. I see his fans want to always use the owner as the scape goat for his bad moves.

I didn't like Morey for all the analytic stuff, and the constant roster change, that never led to a Championship. So I had to endure unwatchable basketball and watch players get traded like crazy.