1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Maddux could throw 95 MPH in high school, it is why he went in the second round out of high school.

The problem was that his 95 MPH was as straight as an arrow and good hitters would crush it.

In the minors they had him dial it back a bit, to 93 mph... while it wasn't quite as straight, he didn't have pin point command.

Early in the big leagues he figured out command/control and movement was more successful that velocity.

He threw 90-91 in his prime with the Cubs and first 4-5 years with the Braves.

By the second half of his career he was at like 88 mph and as low as 85 when he finally retired.

Zen Tabak and raining threes like this.
  2. raining threes

Quoted for truth

I've been saying this for months.

They dont have the cushion due to injury to allow Dusty to do Dusty things and they're very close to Dusty's decisions coming back to biting them in the butt.

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  3. Marteen

Marteen Member

It appears CFer Jacob Melton has been promoted from High-A Asheville to Double-A Corpus Christi.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

JP France is really disappointed in Melton's stache game.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I really hope I'm wrong about this guy. I really wanted him traded out and to keep the 2 guys we lost. IF he can be a 3 or 4 WAR player that's a really big win. I hate guys that have shitty hit tools as prospects. He's not super young. Here's to him producing in AA Corpus and maybe breaking camp (or being close to it) in AAA next year.

Nook likes this.
  6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I expect he and Loperfido to compete for the 1st base and left fielder spots at Spring training next year.

7. Nook

Nook Member

It’s about damn time.

I get why people like him - but I really question if he will make enough contact to be a solid big leaguer.

8. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have their first baseman and left fielder for 2024.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Yup - reminds me of Derek Fisher, the former top 100 prospect and Astros draft pick. Great power, great speed and poor contact and hitting IQ.

Melton is a great base runner - he has the kind of instincts and speed to steal 75 bags in the big leagues if he gets on base. He has lots of power too and can walk some - but his OBP in A+ at 22 years old was like .330.

10. raining threes

Abreau and Alvarez plus?

Nook likes this.
  11. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I hope you are right but I fear that you are wrong. If Abreu's back holds up through the rest of the season and all the way to the end of the series I will not be worried about 1st base next season. Until then I have no expectations. Who is in left field will depend on who the new manager wants to play DH.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Luis Angel Rodriguez walked one and struck out four over five no-hit/shutout innings for Asheville.

Trey Dombroski turned in another nice outing to follow up that 11-strikeout outing over five perfect innings. He allowed three hits, walked one, and struck out three in four scoreless for Fayetteville tonight.

13. Screaming Fist

As a hitter he reminds me a little of Leon with a little bit better hit tool.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  14. Screaming Fist

What's the word on Sandy Mejia? He has a 37% SwStr% in the complexes this season which leads all other non-DSL (where they apparently don't even track SwStr% correctly) prospects with Luis Vega in second place.

Raimy Rodriguez is also interesting - only 17 and gets a ton of whiffs but apparently has the command of Ricky Vaughn.

One last note - it appears that something has dramatically changed for Cole McDonald this season. His performance this year blows away his numbers from 2022 and prior. Almost looks like someone who could help the big league club now....

raining threes, Nook and Wulaw Horn like this.
  15. HeyBudLetsParty

I feel like he’s next in line for toolsey 4th outfielder with long hair and last name that starts with M.

Your grandpa had Marisnick, your Dad had Meyers, you have Melton.

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I get it... we love to analyze these guys to death as they move through the system. However, we never know if/when guys might figure it out. In 2018 at age 23 Chas McCormick had a .332 OBP at the A+ level.

McCormick A+ 2018 at age 23
    .332 OBP, .733 OPS

Melton A+ 2023 at age 22
    .338 OBP, .792 OPS

In 2019 McCormick put up a .426 OBP and .822 OPS in 51 games in AA. Then moved up to AAA and had an .812 OPS.

Yes, I would love to have the prospects like Bregman that just mash almost right away and sail through the minors. That just doesn't happen very often.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There are enough “high strikeout, 25+ homer power, 20+ SB speed, decent walk rate, average or better CF defense” guys in Houston’s system that one of them is just bound to hit. Leon, Loperfido, Melton, Daniels, Brewer, Corona, Cole, Cerny, that’s 8 guys who should all be in the upper levels next season.

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

We need a 75 SB guy on our playoff roster for the late innings. I don't think Meyers can steal a base on demand.

Wulaw Horn and raining threes like this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Who should that be?

I would say it would need to be someone who is on the 40 man roster, or will be required/expected to be put on the 40 man within the next 12 months.

20. Nook

Nook Member

To be clear, I am not ruling out him figuring it out - my point is that someone with his profile shouldn't be your number one prospect.

I will say, if the baseball get excited about him - I will too. I still remember them in 2018 being excited about Chas even with mediocre numbers.