1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. conquistador#11

What I like about the throw, it was just with a flick of the wrist. He has a stronger arm than some give him credit for.

On the Woods throw, I like how he evaded pressure and threw on the run again, another thing he is better at than people give him credit for. Other than Bryce dodging 4 defenders in the backfield, there was no difference from the type of throws, stationary or on the move or the 'processing' reads.
    That's the thing though, this is not the type of offense where you will have hold the ball, dodge 3 defenders and throw a strike to Will Fuller. The scheme is going to have guys open.

Also, Stroud is really good at the fake handoffs in play action under center. Under center wasn't a thing at the Ohio st so it shows Stroud is studious and not an airhead. Kind of important.

Now on to the regular season where things are going to get real.

primtim24, cmoak1982 and Fulgore like this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I just rewatched the Stroud throw to Nico a few times with the video in the game thread.

Nico never really had separation. It's not clear to be that he ever slowed down. The only time he had any space was when he turned a bit to the sideline.

That to me was a perfect throw. It's a throw that's dropped into the breadbasket on the sideline where only he can get it. His hands touched it. Just bad ball security/good hands from the defender to jar it.

Fulgore likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

https://x.com/aryepulli/status/1695957655909540246?s=46&t=J0JxURw-eBJcofK4L5bBAw

this video very clearly shows Nico has 1-2 steps on his man and turns around to track while ball is in air and then slows down to catch it. The DB was beat and was able to catch up.

5. justtxyank

This video skips almost the entire route being run as it stays on the QB. Go watch the video in the game thread. The DB is caught up to Nico before the ball is ever thrown. He's right on him.

But we're splitting hairs. Good throw, great throw, whatever.

6. justtxyank

[​IMG]

There is the moment Stroud released the ball. The defender has already caught Nico and is on top of him. He gets a small separation a second or two later when he turns to the sideline.

TheFreak likes this.
  7. SuraGotMadHops

Goodness gracious @cmoak1982 you are squeezing the fun out of the Texans section like the Hulk clenching a tube of Colgate White.

8. conquistador#11

Back and to the left,
    [​IMG]

That one throw has like 10 pages in this thread.

TheFreak and justtxyank like this.
  9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Even is beat, right after that there’s 2 steps on him. He then had to slow down for the ball

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not interested in gulping some average play. Sorry

12. TheJet

TheJet Member

Nico didn't slow down as much as the DB closed the gap. Sorry man, you're reaching. That was a great throw. There's a difference in being objective and being overly critical.

And although I agree we should temper expectations (see below) there's no reason we can't be optimistic when we see examples of his potential.

Historically even elite QBs have rough rookie seasons so I've set the bar pretty low for this year. I don't expect a great year from Stroud but these flashes of ball placement and arm talent are encouraging.

rusHour likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Jesus. The DB has a magical gear that makes it look like Nico has slowed down.
    Nico clearly slowed down for the ball, he has 2 steps on the DB. I’m sorry but a DB isn’t making up that distance in that amount of time against a guy that runs a low 4.4.

It was a good throw, 3-5 yds longer and it would have been house call. Elite

14. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Then why in the world do you have man on man love for Will Levis? Is it the looks and not the play for him in particular?

Fulgore likes this.
  15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Nobody "NEEDS" to do anything. Says who, you? Who are you to command people's involvement? What you haven't done, is prove what gets lost by someone overrating Stroud. People's hopes getting ruined, thats the big issue? Its generally discarding it away, and finding the next shiny toy. Its not that deep having hope of Stroud. Its oddly insufferable to NEVER give out anything above a 4/10 credit. Thats not a Texans player issue creating that restrictiveness

16. cbass

cbass Member

Getting excited about the progress our 2nd overall pick is making isn’t “slurping average play”. What a disingenuous way to phrase things.

Every single person this board knows your opinion on Stroud. You have made it abundantly clear over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. For some reason you think this constantly pissing in everyone’s cheerios schtick is truth telling or something, but it’s frankly unnecessary and grating.

You are becoming like Bobby and Jalen Green, and you’re a better poster than that.

Just my 2 cents.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. TheJet

TheJet Member

Nico did slow down a bit when he looked up to track the ball, true. Maybe that was enough for the DB to make up ground. I still wouldn't negatively call that underthrown. Another 5yds and I don't think Nico gets two hands on it, honestly.

If you're saying that it wasn't a "perfect" throw then just say that. I'd agree it wasn't "perfect" but it was still a great toss.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I didn’t. Some here just want to overlook that Bryce was my guy because it makes them feel better

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Just like I don’t “NEED” to embellish a play to feel better about a player.
    You jackasses were blaming Nico and receivers immediately, hating on our number 1 WR so that your precious QB didn’t take any heat. It’s pathetic

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is fair. I’m honestly not knocking Stroud, just saying the throw wasn’t perfect like some are saying