1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best bike for kids to learn how to ride a bike?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AroundTheWorld, Aug 26, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Doesn’t matter. It’s all about heart. If you’re determined enough you get sponsored by a factory, qualify for Helltrack and win. You get aunt Becky, bike dance at prom and the twins leave with their girlfriend.

3. Buck Turgidson

Does Diamondback still exist?

4. Salvy

Salvy Member

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You’re overthinking it

Invisible Fan and Yung-T like this.
  6. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Yes, I agree. Because if there's a thunder in your heart, every move is like lightning.
    It's a power you feel when you get your taste of the glory.

[​IMG]

But honestly to answer OP's question, not an expert, but here are some listed that may be worth a look:

https://www.twowheelingtots.com/best-kids-bikes-the-authoritative-buying-guide/#:~:text=woom Bikes&text=The woom 2 (14”),woom is the perfect solution!

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This. My daughter wanted a regular cheapo, $99 Frozen-themed Huffy from Target and learned to ride it just fine. The bike won't really make a difference, UNLESS the kid absolutely loves one bike over another. In which case, get the bike the kid loves and that could help.

That said, this same daughter is outgrowing the Frozen bike and I plan on getting her a Guardian bike around Christmas. Their bikes are made especially for kids and measure a bit differently. So she could fit on a 24" bike from them but other brands she'd have to use a 20". And this is a good thing because it will take her much longer to outgrow the 24".

I don't want to act like I'm some expert on the topic, and I am of course aware that no two kids are exactly the same. So I don't want to come off as some know it all jackass. But here's what worked for me:

Practice as privately as possible. Even sincere, well-meaning friends, siblings, and family members can add pressure to the kid.

We practiced for 10-15 minutes a day for maybe 5-7 days, and by then she had it under control. We probably usually did it for 10 minutes.

Always end the practice session on a high note. If a major high note happens at like 8 minutes in, go ahead and call it a day.

We practiced falling off the bike in the grass on like day 3. That way she knew it wasn't the end of the world to fall and crash. It happens.

Your back will hurt. There's just no graceful way to do it. You will have to bend over and jog behind the kid almost the whole time. It's not fun, especially for those of us who are taller. But whatever. I'd rather have a week of back pain than be 5'5" (no offense to those who are 5'5" cuz y'all are all jacked nowadays and I don't want to get my ass kicked by someone who is a foot shorter than me).

#7 Haymitch, Aug 27, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Buy a bike they like, you can, but don’t have to, take the pedals off, and(this is THE most important part) find a gentle hill or incline and let them roll down the gentle incline a few times with or without petals to learn balance, and then put the petals back on if you took them off, and the next time they roll down have them start pedaling at the bottom of the incline. It’s ridiculous how quickly they learn.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I suggest one with two wheels. You could start with a one-wheeler, but I think that's a bit risky since it's a lot to invest in something that may get damaged.

pirc1, Yung-T and DonkeyMagic like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Skateboards have 4 wheels, which is more than 2

Think about it.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This. Was about to recommend the same thing

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

My kids learned on cheap huffy bikes from Walmart. They both had balance bikes before they got a real bike, and were scared to not have training wheels still. So I let them use training wheels for a while.

First kid decided one day he wanted to take the training wheels off and started riding no problem.

Second kid was scared to take the training wheels off, but we made him after several months (we could tell he had good balance because the training wheels were hardly ever on the ground). Once we took them off, he was riding no problem.

For both I didn't have to do the hold on to the bike and run behind them thing. I'm glad.

They'll pick it up faster or slower depending on how much they actually want to ride a bike.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The thing is, I have been trying with my daughter, but I can tell that the bike is super heavy and hard to steer, and that's what is making her struggle.

As a sidenote, I had never heard of "Woom Bikes", then we had some friends visiting and they recommended those, and like 5 minutes later, when I looked at Instagram, I had an ad for those bikes.

Nobody can tell me that Zuckerberg isn't eavesdropping.

14. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Both of my boys learned to ride off of a cheap balance bike - used it for about a month until they got the balance part down and then I bought them a bike with pedals and there was zero learning curve outside of learning to use the brakes. Highly recommend going the balance bike route or what Pole/ Invisible Fan suggested.

Xerobull and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Had that with nerf water guns a month ago.
    Niece came over and we played with these outside in the pool, dad sent a video of it to me.

A day later, I suddenly got these nerf water gun ads in my browser, although I never searched for the guns online ever. No idea whether we randomly talked about the nerf guns and the phone mic picked it up, or maybe the phone somehow analyzed the video my dad sent to me.

Definitely spooky.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bikes are for sissies, get her a helicopter

Xerobull likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

....real talk

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

My dad took me to a steep hill made of large rock gravel when I was 5, I hit a big rock half way down and did a front flip, didn't learn how to ride a bike until a few years later

AroundTheWorld and Yung-T like this.