1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP @Rockets2k

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AroundTheWorld, Aug 22, 2023.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sad to hear. Very tragic.

cheke64 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Terrible to read this. I never met him in person but he was definitely a good dude. In spite of this tragedy, it is also wonderful that he was a good part of the lives of so many random people connected by the internet.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thanks for sharing, sad though it is. I remember the heart scare and Clutchfans rallying around him and making some donations. Rest in peace.

Deckard, Houstunna, cheke64 and 4 others like this.
  4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

He was good people.

Jontro and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah 58 isn’t really that old these days. Many of us are now in that side of 50 so a good reminder to take care of ourselves.

As noted while things like keeping weight and blood pressure under control is very important cardiac issues and strokes can happen to even in shape people. My dad had a heart attack at 54 while he was swimming laps. It’s important to get regular check ups even for those who are otherwise in shape.

Houstunna, MadMax, Nook and 3 others like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I remember that story about your dad, glad he's ok. That's an outlier but usually it's due to health neglect.

It's imperative to be proactive with your health starting around 40. My doctors tell me that getting a colonoscopy at 40 is a very good idea and at the very least 45. I've had two (one at 46, one because of my upper GI bleed earlier this year) and both times they found and removed polyps. Also you should start getting a 'digital exam' 50....every man will get prostate cancer if they live long enough.

58 isn't old but right around 60 is the magic number for people who beat the hell out of their bodies for decades with alcohol, tobacco and/or poor diet to start to fall apart. That's why it so important to right the ship. It's never too late to do it, but the earlier the better.

Also want to mention that a very good friend of mine died last year at 42 from a heart attack, mostly due to his terrible diet.

All of this underscores the need for great insurance as you get older. IMO it's more important than chasing that higher salary, because you're going to need it. Get a job with good insurance, leverage the hell out of it. It's honestly why I've stayed in corporate America instead of semi-retiring or just building my own stuff out more.

#66 Xerobull, Aug 24, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
  7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I echo the posts about getting yourself checked out each year by a doctor. A good friend of mine that I met through playing bridge 12 years ago has stage 3 (I think..definitely not stage 1 and don’t think it’s stage 2) prostrate cancer. This could have been caught and avoided if he had done yearly checkups but he hadn’t been to the doctor in close to 10 years.

tinman, Yung-T and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

RIP thanks for buying a few beers back in the day in Austin so so long ago. Take care

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

All of us naturally assume we will live to be 85-95 (or more) years old but there is no guarantees in life. It sucks to see people go way too early. I stay in shape mainly due to work, don’t smoke, hardly drink, everyone says I look younger than my age but owning a lawn business means I can’t always eat like I should…

If I could give any advice it is cut the sugar, trash cola and try carbonated sparkling water …just doing that alone will do a lot

also my condolences to R2K family and friends

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Sincere condolences to Larry's family. Far too damn young. May he RIP.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Damn man, damn.

new, or was it monitored for years

12. Xerobull

Had health issues for a while now, (go back a few pages, his emergency surgery thread is linked). Not sure if this specific issue was monitored.

Jontro, rocketsjudoka, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

:/

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

For a long time, I was in good physical shape and I was able to get away with eating whatever I wanted without worrying about gaining weight. I stopped lifting weights after my car accident in 2012, and I have seen my weight go from 205 to almost 285. I am down to 260 but I need to lose about another 20 pounds. I am tall (6”3) so I carry the extra weight ok but it has already caused me to go through sciatica, and I’ll be honest, I don’t like seeing myself in the mirror being that big.

Cutting out sugar would cause me to lose weight but it is very hard for me to do that. I am trying to limit sugar intake and be more physically active. I have never been a smoker or a drinker, so I have that going for me.

Smoking and drinking will cause you to age tremendously, in my opinion.

rocketsjudoka, IBTL and Xerobull like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is important at any age but especially as we get older.
    1. Eat right.
    2. Get exercise.
    3. Get decent sleep.

I know I struggle with all three especially the last one. Thankfully due to martial arts I get plenty of the second but as I'm getting older it gets much harder to do what I used to do (particularly sparring) and because of preexisting injuries have trouble doing as much as I used to. Because of work, laziness or just craving don't always eat as well. I rarely sleep all the way through the night and because of stress and natural insomnia don't usually sleep well. I do take naps including power naps daily. Also though because of a almost a lifetime of martial arts I wake up frequently siff and sore.

Yung-T, Houstunna, Jontro and 4 others like this.
  16. Xerobull

4. Socialize - this has been proven to increase longevity and quality of life

5. Read this book:

[​IMG]

Yung-T, Houstunna, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

****ing hear that. Especially on the stiff and sore stuff.

Yung-T likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes being social is very important and having a network of family and friends I think is a necessity to a good life.

One thing that I've really appreciated Clutchfans for is the community here. While I never met Rockets2K in person or many others here appreciate being in a virtual comunity with y'all. For anyone else out there who might feel isolated and alone (like I do when I go to see the Stros play in Target Field ;)) don't hesitate to reach out to this community.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Ah, damn…

Just now seeing this. Terrible news. Glad I got to meet Larry. Super cool guy. RIP, sir.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

RIP R2K