1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green vs Ant Edwards - who will be the better combo/sg when all is said and done

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Aug 22, 2023.

?

combo/sg of the future

1. Jalen Green

42 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Anthony Edwards

114 vote(s)
    71.7%
  3. others

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. kpdark

kpdark Member

this is a video taken before both entered NBA

right now, Ant may have the upperhand

and substantially it seems..

MVP conversations even o_O....

will Jalen be able to catch up

guess we'll find out soon...

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I feel like this is a Steph Curry vs a James Harden lite approach.

The media and the league have already crowned Edwards.

Barring injuries of course.

#2 daywalker02, Aug 22, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Minnesota is not a big enough market for someone like Edwards.

So in this sense Houston is a better destination.

Going to either of the marquee teams soon enough.

kpdark likes this.
  4. kpdark

kpdark Member

[​IMG]

#4 kpdark, Aug 22, 2023
    DeBeards likes this.
  5. kpdark

kpdark Member

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You weren’t able to see that this tweet is waaay of on Green’s TS%

Dude is posting Sengun’s TS%

Green was 53.8%

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

at the moment Edwards is just better. skills are only part of the equation he is way better and more prepared physicaly

8. Garner

Garner Member

What exactly is the debate here?
    If minny and Houston traded ant/JG straight up, Houston unquestionably becomes a better team and Minnesota becomes worse.

9. Dredd

Dredd Member

Ant doesn't like gay ppl.

dfbreyes and Jontro like this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Edwards is clearly better right now, that's not debatable at all. Really coming into his own and now has playoff experience plus significant Team USA experience.

Green has a lot of catching up to do but I believe he'll get there. His journey is much rougher than Edwards' first two seasons with the underwhelming Wolves. Edwards' maturation coincided with the acquisition of a floor general (Conley) and rim protector (Gobert). Not to mention the presence of an elite wing defender (McDaniels) and incredible shooter (KAT). The worst of those 4 teammates would have been one of the best players on our roster the past couple of seasons. If we just had Conley instead of KPJ, we'd have less scoring talent at PG but the other 4 players would have done much better. Unfortunately the strategy was to tank really really hard.

The next 10 years at SG will be about Booker, Mitchell, Edwards, Bane and Green imo. I will take our chances now that we have Udoka and some experienced role players on board. Give Green 20-30 games of trial and error with Udoka's heightened standards, I expect to see dramatic improvement after that.

#10 Mathloom, Aug 22, 2023
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lol at the blatantly wrong stats..

Really bad time to ask this question. Ant is on a hype tour now and the national media has annointed him as the face of the league while people still joke that Green is the next Jordan Clarkson so things really aren't looking good for Green in this comparison.

Let's come back in a year and reassess but ya Ant is better at the moment no doubt.

Nook, BigMaloe, Dobbizzle and 3 others like this.
  12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I expect Jalen to take the "year 3 leap". Edwards came into the league with a grown man's body. Jalen was 172 pounds with no muscle. Easily getting bumped off of his spots and not having the strength to play through any type of resistance was one of his biggest issues imo. Now that he approaches 200 pounds, I expect him to take a sizeable leap on both ends of the court. His jumper looks cleaner and his mechanics look more consistent on his 3 point shots this summer.

Edwards is obviously ahead right now but I expect that Jalen closes the gap significantly this season and by year 4-5 he could surpass him. Ime will push and challenge him in a way that will either make him or break him. Sullivan will fix any mechanical issues with his shooting.

I was a little down on Jalen because of his defense. If he can show adequate improvement on that end then I believe that he becomes a legitimate superstar in a couple of years.

Edwards is a beast of a shooting guard. But Jalen's first step and overall speed and quickness may give him the edge as he continues to mature physically. It will be fun debate for years to come.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Ant is a year ahead and is obvi better at this point. I have him as a top-40 guy right now.

We'll see if Green makes that third year jump.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

what does ant do that green can’t?

DeBeards and Dredd like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One thing Edwards cannot be is a true combo guard. He is probably a 2, small ball 3 at best.

This is a niche JGreen can develop into.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Refuse to paint nails?

clos4life likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The one trait Ant is better at than Green that is a big gap is strength. That's what Ant does better and is the route that will make Ant have the better career. But Green can overcome that with his more creative handles and better agility. But Ant is special because he's built like a tank AND has like 90% of Green's quickness.

Jontro and clos4life like this.
  18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Ant is a proven actor. Shaq level.

Jontro, Williamson and clos4life like this.
  19. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Ant without a doubt is the next best SG but I see them being comparable in a couple of years. Anthony Edwards has about 40 lbs of muscle over Jalen Green. That's a MAJOR difference when attacking the rim and creating space and I also believe there's a direct correlation with FG% there. Guys like Harden, Luka, and Edwards... strong swingmen can get to any spot they want in the paint and defenders just literally bounce off of them. Watch JG's FG% and confidence tick up as he gains muscle/strength.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

This graphic is wrong. Green's TS% last year was .538, not .599. If he did have a .599 TS% last year he'd be considered at least a top 50 player in the NBA if not a top 30 type player. And there would've been only one Franchise player thread in GARM rather than the 10 we see right now.

BigMaloe, kingjosh, Corrosion and 5 others like this.