1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 21, 2016.

1. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Gonna start posting classic books I've read or reread in the past. There are a lot of them so it helps me refresh the ideas as well.

Napoleon Hill's classic set the tone for a lot of books today for visualization, positive thinking, persistence, and planning for achieving goals. "What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve" is a famous quote.

[​IMG]
    Amazon Link and Audiobook

I encourage people to read the book or if short on time listen to the audiobook, but here is a summary as well for those wanting visuals:

FrontRunner and Xerobull like this.
  2. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Sticking with the Finance foundational books theme, it can be eye-opening for those who have never read or heard info like Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki.

Many books have built off these ideas, but like looking outside the Matrix, understanding Assets over Liabilities, and the thought processes that separate people for better results is extremely useful.

[​IMG]

Amazon Links

Book Summary for Visual Learners:

Space Ghost likes this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Haven’t had as much time to read lately as I’d like, but currently working through “Pathogenesis: A History of the World in Eight Plagues.”

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I've been aware of web serials for a while and read the excellent Worm several years ago.

I recently discovered RoyalRoad.com, a site where web serial authors can post their stories, get feedback and reviews and link to their Patreons.

I read two really good books there over the past two weeks.

One was the amazing Skadi's Saga, a Norse/Viking mythology and culture inspired fantasy book. It's really fantastic if you love nonstop action, battles and character progression. It's really very, very good and written by a successful published author with a few other book series under his belt. I couldn't put it down and learned more about Viking culture than I have from any other book or show.

[​IMG]

Blurb:

An obscure jarl’s daughter will rise to wield the power of the gods.

The old order is collapsing. The Archean Empire devours all in its path, toppling kings, razing cities, and massacring any that oppose it. Sweeping into the north, a land of brutal cold, ragged mountains, and dark myths, they believe their infamous discipline will crush the white-hot rage of its sea reavers and dreaded berserkers.

And at first they are right.

But their invasion dislodges a pebble that is destined to become an avalanche. When Skadi Styrbjörnsdóttir is forced into exile to escape the Archeans, she begins a journey that will bring her to the attention of the gods, arm her with legendary weapons, and set her against immortal foes.

Wielding the power of her ever-growing wyrd, Skadi seeks to avenge her people, and in doing so defy the world-devouring Archean Empire—and one day destroy it.

The other book I read on RoyalRoad was a dark, twisted action horror book called Father of Monstrosity set in a grimdark fantasy world with elements of cosmic (Lovecraftian) horror, body horror, necromancy, demon summoning and fleshcrafting. The main character is raised from a young age to be a powerful necromancer/fleshcrafter (think Frankenstein) and is somewhat bereft of empathy for other people. It's very well written and builds to a really big climax. If you've ever seen or read Berzerk it's very similar to the darker scenes.

[​IMG]

Blurb:

Jakob was only seven when he was summoned to Helmsgarten’s sewers by the Fleshcrafter calling himself Grandfather. For seven painful years, Jakob studied the depraved craft of his monstruous mentor, before being let loose on the populace of the metropolis.

With the vague task of creating the ultimate being to rival the greatest creation of Grandfather, he is left with nothing but the flesh-stitched robes on his body and the loyal wight Heskel. Together, the pair explore a civilisation that is utterly alien to them, as they were both raised in the dark and damp of the city’s underbelly.

Along his journey, Jakob constructs many monsters and constructs, while dodging the noose of the guards and the Kingdom’s justice. He cavorts with demons and their spawn, joins the Adventurers’ Guild in his voracious hunt for knowledge, fights nightmares of his own creation, and parleys with Demon Lords and Great Ones.

Many who believe him a weak child suffer eternally for their arrogance. Even the Kingdom, with its inexhaustible wealth and power, rues the day it chose to cross the Fleshcrafter Boy and interfere with his great undertaking.

And in the end, even Grandfather must face the realisation that his creation is greater than he could ever have imagined.​

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Reading and liking Demon Copperhead by Kingsolver.

I can see why it's been so widely acclaimed and awarded. Great, great main character with a hilarious wit and voice on every page.
    Super dark content though, in terms of dysfunctional Appalachia.

gifford1967 likes this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Just started “Japan’s Infamous Unit 731.” I’m told it’s a very tough read, and knowing the history of that group to the extent I do, I don’t think that’s an exaggeration.

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Read it a couple of month's ago. Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors. The book she wrote just previously, Unsheltered, is also excellent.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

reading Stephen Budiansky's biography of Oliver Wendell Holmes. Quite good on Holmes's Civil War experiences

9. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

finished like 2.5 weeks ago:
    Killers of the Flower Moon-grann

finished today:
    red notice-browder

started today:
    the river of doubt-millard

i'm a big non fiction guy

Blake likes this.
  10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

River of doubt is fantastic. Good call

FlyerFanatic and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Finally getting around to Harrow the Ninth...... About a third of the way through.... I have no idea what's going... but damn is it a good book IMO. The writing style/prose just really keeps you coming back and you certainly have to be locked in otherwise you may repeat the same pages a few times.

Thought Book 1 had a really fantastic, WTF, type of ending. Really enjoying these (false?) memories being presented in book 2... you clearly know something is up.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Been on a Cormac McCarthy tear. Read The Road years ago but have ripped through The Border Trilogy, Suttree, Blood Meridian and now No Country for Old Men

B-Bob and BMoney like this.
  14. Frank_Duhon

Frank_Duhon Member

Yes. It is a great book.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its not reading but I recently finished listening to the Expanse audiobook "Nemesis Games".

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It counts.

17. B-Bob

I've read all those. I'm partial especially to Blood Meridian and The Crossing.
    But I like his sentence and dialogue style so much, I would probably also read his emails to COMCAST customer service over and over.

Blake and BMoney like this.
  18. B-Bob

Have any of you sci fans read All Systems Red from the Murderbot series?

I haven't tried any cut-and-dried sci fi in a while, but that little book was really fun. I might read more of the series.

19. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I finished Desert Start early this morning.

I was satisficed.

BMoney likes this.
  20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Please read. ****ing fantastic