1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade TyTy Washington and Usman Garuba + stuff to Atlanta for Alpha Kaba

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Jul 1, 2023.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's all about context. He has more mins than half the league simply because he was healthy enough to play over 70 games while
    averaging 12.9 mins a game.

If tate wasn't injured, Garuba would have gotten even less mins. Also note that nix played 18 games less than garuba but was only down 66 mins.
    Rotational mins pffft. Man was just given garbage time mins and he made the most of it.

Imagine thinking a guy who averages only 12.9 mins, a player getting regular rotation mins.

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Would love to give TyTy another chance somehow. Is he really not better than Trevor Hudgins?

Yung-T, Hank McDowell and Mathloom like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

People have picked some dumb ****in hills to die on on this board, but "guy who played in the rotation for 75 games was not a regular player " is down there in the toilet, where Usman is cleaning his shorts.

We (well, not you i guess) all saw those minutes - its part of the reason why 2 teams had to pay to get rid of him this offseason

Take the L here and pray he makes the OKC final 15 - > the epilogue will be yours ;)

#523 SamFisher, Aug 18, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
  4. Rokman

Rokman Member

Agreed. Would prefer TyTy in the depth charts more than Hudgins. Plus, we used a 1st Rnd Pick on the guy. Also, he can switch to a 2 in spots. Hudgins is a point only.

P.G. - VanVleet / *Amen / *TyTy
    S.G. - *Green / KPJ
    S.F. - Brooks / *Whitmore
    P.F. - *Smith Jr. / *Eason
    ..C. - *Sengun / Landale

* - drafted by Rockets

#524 Rokman, Aug 18, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
  5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'm for it. Odds are there's a PG injury during the season so it's always good to have three and I don't want KPJ getting time there. His future is as a wing.

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Participating in 75 games while averaging about 12 mins a game, is all of a sudden part of the rotation. U Lack so much context, but keep pushing your anti garuba stance.

He played only 99 games over 2 season averaging 12.2 mins, but apparently that is enough to judge and gauge his skillset. Ignore the fact that we had a sht coach and no pg to utilize his skillset.

Him, jc and tyty were not given a fair shake due to an incompetent coach. normally it wouldn't have matter, but we got rid of them for jack sht. Since we didn't properly play them, we weren't able to showcase their actual value, hence the sht trades to off load them

#526 DatRocketFan, Aug 19, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
  7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Agree, would love to have him back however NBA by-laws prohibit us from signing him back for 6 months.

8. SamFisher

No it's not "all of a sudden".

Its the fact that he was the first - and only - big man off the bench for the vast majority of the season (except for when his ineptitude caused him to get yanked for Boban in non garbage time first half minutes - this happened a few times). Bruno barely played and then got traded. It was Sengun-Garuba-Boban.

I'm wondering if maybe you think Garuba and Boban are each other and are confused? Because if anyone fits your definition of Garbage time it's almost certainly Boban - 27 of his 31 appearances were 0-9 minutes - basically the opposite of Garuba.

We knew this. We saw it. I don't have to look it up

The fact that he played the median number of minutes in the NBA doesn't tell me this its just confirmation of what we all (again, excluding you, apparently) saw - that he was an NBA regular in games 3 through 82 last season.

Enjoy your weekend.

#528 SamFisher, Aug 19, 2023
    don grahamleone likes this.
  9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

For me it wasnt about giving up Ty Ty, I think the front office could do a better job at picking the right guys to begin with to warrant keeping vs. giving away first rounders like they are hot dog vouchers at toyota center. I get theres a low success rate for late firsts, but being 0/3 w JC, Garuba, Ty Ty in back to back years just means they are not good at managing assets. Either you pick a winner of the 3 picks, or trade the picks to someone who thinks they can. Blame is still on the FO on this to even be in this situation. I think all will be forgiven though if Cam works out, or even if enough of our guys work out in general. Right now it looks bad.

#529 BallSoHarden, Aug 19, 2023
    Easy likes this.
  10. NewAge

NewAge Member

Garuba was pretty good for Spain in the Euros... I think he'd be a good player in a serious structure, but was lost in the AAU ball that we played under Silas. If Aussie Hartenstein can't go and if Thunder waives him, I'd like to see him back...

Didn't see much from TyTy, but what I saw was pretty decent. Given an opportunity he can develop into a good player. That opportunity was not given to him by the Rockets, and would not have been given to him this year as well.

Yung-T likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's not a case of bad picks, they dumped them to add Lopez. If anything it was poor trade management. They didn't give up on those projects outright. Also, with the money we ended up with Landale to be backup C and a lesser C than him would not have been sufficient. So we did need the cap space.

In Christophers case, KPJ projects to be a better 2 and barely older (1-2 years). Made the right choice there.

The other two will be fine and ultimately will be seen as good picks at their spots. Life is a bunch of trade offs, you often have to give up an opportunity for a better opportunity. Wish we still had Tyty and Garuba to develop but the organization is moving forward and we needed some more established depth and fewer unknowns.

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Stupid rule. Why would the players association allow something like that? It doesn't seem to benefit anyone.

AXG and giddyup like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fredderick
    Amen
    Holiday
    Hudgins(2W)

Don’t think there’s a spot for him anymore.

14. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

I think someone going to claim the waiver, to bring TyTy to be 3rd PG on their team. if that doesn't happen TyTy'd be lucky to go any team that willing to give him a contract to be the 3rd PG

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Lakers should be all over TyTy.

DD

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  16. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why? Why?

17. SamFisher

They resigned D'Angelo Russel, resigned Austin Reaves, signed Gabe Vincent, and drafted Jalen Hood-Schifino....

...But they should all crycry bc what the Lakers actually need is tyty

Corrosion and Ancient Moabite like this.
  18. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

They should have tried to get some value for those picks in trades maybe even before using the picks, or tried to consolidate for future picks knowing how many young guys they had and that they wouldn't have even gotten the minutes to develop them. To me it looked like Ty Ty didnt even get a chance, and they had to have known that going in, they are using first round picks as if they are training camp deals for G leaguers. The value of those picks had to be worth more than the value they got out of the players chosen.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Rockets have FVV, Amen, Aaron Holiday, possibly KPJ that can play point. Then Hudgins in a 2 way. Is there any room for TyTy realistically?

Corrosion and DrNuegebauer like this.
  20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

PG VanVleet/ Amen/ Holiday/ Hudgins* (2 way contract)

Also KPjr has played a fair bit of PG and could possibly take the backup PG minutes to start the year?

I don't see why TyTy would take a 2-way contract to be 4th-5th string PG and play GLeague. Unless that is all he can get, in which case I don't know if he is our best option?

Corrosion likes this.