1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

In other words, he looks like an Astros SP prospect.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yep, if he had command, he wouldn't be in the minors.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m thinking JP France as an upside without the 2 run over performance on his FIP. That’s still pretty valuable for minimum wage.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The DSL Orange team is currently leading the Blue team 4-0 in a game that's been delayed by lightning.

Karniel Pratt is 2-4 with a triple, two runs scored, and a stolen base (21) for the Orange team. Jose Varela continues his impressive debut season by allowing a hit, walking one, and striking out six over five shutout innings. Varela lowered his ERA to 2.49 and has 71 strikeouts in 47 innings.

Jeremy Martinez was the first man out of the Blue team bullpen and he allowed a hit while striking out four over three scoreless.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hard to believe but the DSL and FCL seasons end on Tuesday. Looks like the full season affiliates have staggered the end of their seasons, as Fayetteville and Asheville end on 9/10, with Corpus ending 9/17 and Sugar Land going thru until 9/24.

prospecthugger likes this.
  6. prospecthugger

JP France seems like an easy comp for any sort of overachieving Astros pitching prospect. Not that it's bad, but there was never really any reason to believe that France would be what he is in the majors. He had an 11 K/9 and 4.27 BB/9, which some how became 6.44 and 2.65 over 100 MLB innings. JP France is somewhat perplexing.

vince, Zen Tabak, xcrunner51 and 2 others like this.
  7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

More meant mid 4 era, low K’s and low walks. That’s my guess if he’s a success. Call it a 3/4 on a normal staff but not a playoff guy.

8. Buck Turgidson

I wish he was on the 40-man and thus Sept/Oct possible postseason bullpen eligible. Oh well.

Wulaw Horn and No Worries like this.
  9. prospecthugger

Right, I get what you mean. I mostly used your comment as an excuse to talk about France. JP France just kind of broke how I typically think about prospects, because he's been a completely different player at the major league level. Is there something the Astros had him do differently while developing as a player vs trying to win major league games? Is he just an aberration, or will other players be different as well?

Wulaw Horn and No Worries like this.
  10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

IIRC if you are in the Astros organization, you qualify for the post season roster, right?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes.

12. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Brantley starting tonight? Looks like he already needed a day off yesterday

13. prospecthugger

This, though with not being rule 5 eligible, there's less incentive for the Astros to try it. Arrighetti/gordon/kouba are looking like nice AAA depth to start 2024.

vince, Wulaw Horn and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

I'm sure I'm wrong and it's probably changed (I can't keep up with all of the changes), but you have to replace an injured player, right?

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am not 100% sure but I don’t think there are any other stipulations. As far as I know, to be eligible to be placed on the playoff roster, a player just has to be in the organization by Sep 30.

16. the shark

the shark Member

To be eligible for the playoffs a player needs to be on the teams 40 man roster (or the 60 day disable list) as of Aug 31st.

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yes you do. It as long as you have an injured player on any length Il (10, 15 or 60) you can do it, so there’s essentially no real limit to being able to use the loophole.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

That's the old rule, didn't know if it had changed, and I like that it hasn't.

Also old rule: If someone is injured during the postseason (ie out for the whole postseason), you can replace him with anyone in your Org as of 8/31. This loophole has been use several times in the past, I just don't know if it's still around.

When you get bored you could look this up?

**additional point of order: MLB does not have "playoffs", they have a "postseason"**

19. the shark

the shark Member

"When you get bored you could look this up"?

You know how Google works....

20. raining threes

I would be happy if he turned out to be another France type pitcher. Gotta work on the control.