1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Emptive Jonathan Singleton Appreciation Thread Sequel

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Jun 24, 2023.

1. Screaming Fist

2. the shark

the shark Member

Interesting comment from Dusty on "earning" playing time (and I don't disagree with it) and yet Diaz has clearly shown that he's "earned" the majority of playing time at catcher and he's still rolling with Maldy the majority of the time.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Not to mention Julks was handed LF (or at least more LF and 6th most games and PA on the team) and was allowed to do exactly what the fans have been clamoring for with Diaz and ANYONE at 1B.

Complete double standard

4. Elienator

Elienator Member

I hope Singleton’s figured it out last night is a
    sign of what he can do going forward.

Realistically, he’s likely to perform closer to what he’s done previously and arguably Detmers is an AAAA pitcher.

Anything would be better than Abreu, and hopefully Singleton gets a shot to prove he can play at the big league level. I’m tempering my expectations though.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Singleton has a very high level of natural ability. That's why he was a top prospect.

He threw it away, realized it, and dug through the dump until he found it and recovered it.

A true, wonderful, all Ametican feel good story.

I don't think he is going to suddenly be Jeff Bagwell but he may be peak Chris Carter who averaged 51 extra base hits and 78 RBI, with a 113 OPS+ over 3 seasons in Houston.

That's an exceptional 6th, 7th, or 8th best hitter on a team.

Maybe he can at least be a LH power bat off the bench that has a few good PAs late in games and helps the team get an extra couple of wins.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Singleton went 8 years and 13 days between MLB home runs. It's longest gap for a player since Rafael Belliard whose little ass went a full decade in the majors between homers.

IBTL, raining threes and jim1961 like this.
  7. cdain3

cdain3 Member

The home runs are awesome but his patience at the plate is what has me excited.

8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

That is intentional. He wants to use the song starter from the bottom now we are here when he has a ops of .1200

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Hahaha! What about Julks, Maldonado, Dubon in CF, McCormick. What a joke!

everyday eddie likes this.
  10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Already has a shirt...

No Worries likes this.
  11. jayfree

jayfree Member

Maldy's different. He's grandfathered in ;)

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm sure in his head there is something holding Diaz, Chas, and Meyers back. He makes a decision on a player, and then loyalty makes it an incredibly high bar to change it. Granted, this is only my impression of him. I'm sure the Dusty accolytes disagree.

Chas has an wRC+ over 140. Dubon 81. I'm not sure if the best defensive CF over the worst defensive fulltime CF has a big enough defensive edge to make playing Dubon acceptable if Dubon was the best and Chas was the worst. Much less that most stats favor Chas as a defensive CF.

#132 Joe Joe, Aug 12, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
    rockbox likes this.
  13. Elienator

Elienator Member

It’s not the first time he’s been in the majors this season and while short, it was bad. One game does not mean he’s found it. Even with the 2 homer game, he’s worth negative WAR on the season with an OPS lower than his career numbers.

I’m hoping for the best, but realistically I’ll be happy with just a little better than Abreu.

jim1961 likes this.
  14. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

What a god awful
    Way to manage

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Chas is still earning playing time.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Hard to know what to expect from him. His past informs me that he is streaky and inconsistent.
    I also think one great game doesn't define him in the present.

Saw a story yesterday claiming Singleton's comeback story is the best in MLB history.
    That is a shortsighted and way over the top to me.
    He hasn't proves a thing, yet.

I do hope he does well. I just think its premature to pencil him in as some sort of miracle story.

Xerobull likes this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Getting back into the league after 8 seasons is a big comeback story in itself.

18. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

Dusty Baker needs to be fired for displaying public ignorance like that.
    Yes, you DO need help managing.
    Yes, your lineups ARE non-sensical.
    Yes, we absolutely WOULD have won more games ... you deliberately and intentionally are being a saboteur bc the players you "thought hadn't earned it" were benchstronauts while those who couldnt contribute SH!TT were / have been trotted out there like the team needs them so much in the lineup that there's no way the team can win w/o them...
    GTFFHOHtx.

#thatmanisplayingGalaga
    #weallseeit

Sit back, watch, enjoy the game & be the ra-ra guy... just keep your hands away from the cake batter & cookie dough.

jim1961 likes this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A good story, yes.

Best in MLB history? No.

InTheGroove likes this.
  20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Josh Hamilton story was interesting

Mickey Moniak comeback after being the 1st Pick for the Phillies, Breakout Year on the Angels.