1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If you are right about how many major leaguers they put out that farm isn't anywhere near below average. Are you just putting out guys that you think, if they ever get to the majors, will get there in that year?

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That was just a timeline of when I expect their top prospects to reach the majors if things go along normal development tracks. But no, I absolutely do not expect all of those guys to reach the majors or become long term pieces. But out of those 8 guys per year, only 1-3 per year need to “pan out” to keep the roster competitive.

BlindHog and Wulaw Horn like this.
  3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Raimy Rodriguez allowed a hit and struck out four over three scoreless innings in the FCL.

Rodriguez has had his share of growing pains... as expected from an 18-year-old in his first journey away from his homeland. Will be interesting to see if he gets a little run in Fayetteville to start 2024.

Snake Diggit and prospecthugger like this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake. But I do deny them my essence.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Baez will probably be a left fielder only but he has a chance to be a really special bat. It’s amazing how quickly the farm can turn over. He was just a sleeper guy coming into the year, a big bonus international signee that not too many people talked about. Now he’s a consensus Org top 10 guy and at least on the radar of every national site. It would shock almost no one if 365 days from now he was hitting well in AA as a 20 year old and was listed by most as one of the top 75 prospects in the league.

Nook, vince, AznH-TownFan and 6 others like this.
  7. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Not sure why you think he would be left fielder only. He certainly has the arm for right field.

AznH-TownFan and No Worries like this.
  8. HeyBudLetsParty

His prospect profile reads a lot like Domingo Santana when he was in the system, long way to go with him being 19 so hopefully he can continue to refine his game and project better. Power potential is obvious, he sent that ball today into space.

9. prospecthugger

Ryan Gusto went 5.1 IP 0H 1ER/R 2 BB 11Ks. The one run scored when Diosmerky Tavares couldn't strand the runner at first. He had an ERA of 20.25 in his AA debut, and had brought that down to 3.21 over 8 AA games. I'm starting to think it's possible that pitching in Asheville is currently tougher than in Corpus.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think he will strike out less than Santana with the same or even more power, and I think Santana might’ve had a better arm and thus more defensive value. Santana was a really big guy (6’5” 220), whereas Baez is average height but already pretty thick (6’1” 205). Overall at this point I’d say Baez is a better prospect but we will know a lot more a year from now.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting comp. Santana ended up a top 100 prospect 3 or 4 years after being the 3rd or 4th most important piece in the Hunter Pence (after Cosart and Singleton!). He had a couple big seasons at age 23-24, and then fell off a cliff and was out of the majors by 27.

If Baez can have that sort of rise and impact (without falling off a cliff), that's not a bad thing at all.

12. prospecthugger

So one thing I noticed about him today, he gets hit with a lot of pitches. He got hit twice today, bringing him to 20 on the season. He's been hit more than he's walked (15) and nearly as much as he's struck out (24).

travfrancis and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

So…short 2B who gets hit by a lot of pitches and doesn’t strike out much and hits for enough power…basically combination of Biggio and Altuve!!!

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

prospecthugger likes this.
  15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I wish the Astros would have signed Cesar Prieto which was rumored to be a possibility after he defected from the Cuban team while they were in Miami a couple years ago. Orioles got him and then traded him for Flaherty at the deadline.

Here are his numbers for this season in AA and AAA....

.348 AVG, .392 OBP, .875 OPS, 7 HR, 7 SB, 31 K, 25 BB

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes I really really liked him as well. I don’t think the Astros had a chance and I actually think they offered him as much as the Orioles did.

17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

RunninRaven likes this.
  18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

indeed it is

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Julio Robaina allowed four hits, walked one, and struck out seven over five shutout innings for Corpus. Zach Daniels went 4-4 with a couple of doubles but the Hooks lost 2-1 to Frisco.

prospecthugger likes this.