1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

man those bottom 2 numbers are depressing, but brooks is what he is

Rolliepollie likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If you make a all defensive team you aren't more than decent as a defender.

3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

all that stuff is voted on by humans, and i agree he's a good wing defender. He's so bad on offense though and so stupid that overall he's a massive negative as a player. He would have to be a center for his defense to be worth him being on the floor

Rolliepollie likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't think Brooks is a low IQ player in the traditional sense. Perimeter defense requires a lot of bball IQ, especially if you're less athletic than the players you're guarding. He has poor shot selection on offense which is low IQ but he's actually good at setting screens and moving without the ball. If his shot selection improves, you can say he's a high IQ player.

Hart is imo a very mediocre player. Doesn't do anything major exceptionally well. The game is half offense and half defense. At offense he's a 10ppg player, that's his absolute ceiling. On defense he's closer to average while Brooks is top 2 at his position. He would be nice off the bench, but I wouldn't pay someone more than the MLE to come off the bench unless I was already a contender and capped out.

At the very least Brooks has one elite ability. I'm totally comfortable him guarding great wings. He made a mistake with Lebron this past season but he's been otherwise great at that in his career.

I'm not a Brooks fan, but I'm also not buying the Hart hype. Would have been just as unhappy with Hart at $80m.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Hart is significantly better than Brooks. And he is actually on an upward trajectory with his advanced metrics unlike Brooks.

jordnnnn likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no question any team would rather have Josh Hart than Dillon Brooks. You essentially have to play keep away from Brooks when your team has the ball or he'll sabotage your team, that's not the case with Hart.

justtxyank likes this.
  7. Dredd

Dredd Member

[​IMG]

8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I think people are in for a real surprise with brooks and how bad he is. There’s a reason that every metric says that he’s one of the worst players in basketball, and it ain’t cause they’re all wrong

justtxyank and jordnnnn like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I can’t believe we paid him this much and guaranteed 4 years .

I think Tate is better

slothy420 likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Let's go to the charts.
    Which of these guys is the better player?

This guy
    upload_2023-8-10_9-20-56.png
    upload_2023-8-10_9-22-44.png

Or this guy

upload_2023-8-10_9-23-52.png
    upload_2023-8-10_9-24-22.png

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don’t care what my team is comprised of. Hart over Brooks every single time. Not even close. Even if you want to ignore the mountain of statistical evidence, it’s hard to ignore the fact that dumb players generally remain dumb.

astrosrule and YOLO like this.
  12. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I can. I think Stone is a terrible GM who has gotten very lucky up to this point. Eventually, though, I'm afraid his luck is going to run out.

I would have liked to have seen him get dumped along with Silas, and maybe promoting Eli Witus to GM
    https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...iew-rockets-executive-eli-witus-as-future-gm/

For the sake of the team I really hope that I'm wrong, although the decisions he's made the past few years (outside of hiring Udoka) have not really given me much faith

Little Bit and Easy like this.
  13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Some people just can't understand how something impacts a team until it's on their team.

It took baseball fans years to realize that having a good defensive player who couldn't hit wasn't ok.

Having a horrible offensive player on your team who demands the ball is brutal for an offense.

The only reason I'm not all that mad is because I don't expect them to be a good team anyway.

harold bingo likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

This 100%.

"Heart", "effort", "tenacity" means nothing if you are not a good basketball player.

Brooks should have been an MLE guy for a contender.... not a major signing for a team like the Rockets.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

harold bingo and justtxyank like this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Man he's a perfect example!

Nook likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

slothy420 likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

A mle contract is $15m in the 4th year, so he is overpaid by $5m the final year under current cap. But by then a mle may start at $20m the way cap is rising.

For a team who’s reputation has plummeted and is desperate to become better, $5m a year is less than peanuts, it’s really not worth even talking about.