1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[What If] the Rockets did not trade for Russ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Aug 3, 2023.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

If we had only won in '96 we could've saved 2pac.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hell, we would have been better off.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah I dont think veganism is a sudden type decision. Seems it can take months of research even years of mental prep for it

4. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

They've been sucking at PG eval since Cassell. Remember the Alston years or the whole Lin mess or forcing KPJ to act as a PG? I think Harden is an outlier.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden wasn't the official PG until MDA came. Bev was the official PG under McHale although Harden had been doing PG things the whole time.

6. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

OK I will be the AHole. I am still amazed that everyone looks at this trade and not the blunder of Ryan Anderson and not unloading him and picks for PG13. You have a $20M anchor on the bench that provided NOTHING and we keep pointing to something else. Morey was SO AFRAID to be proven wrong on his mythical "Stretch 4" that he never swallowed the bullet early but did later with disastrous effect. Look at what Clippers gave up for PG13 or what we gave up for Brodie. A couple of years back that was unheard of but what did all of that get us. Sometimes, you have to admit the flaw early or it does become fatal. Morey with Bosh, Portions, Ariza, Lin, and Asik proved he knew hot to pivot but didn't on Ryno.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It comes down to how special you think Jalen is. If we had kept Russ, we would have rehabilitated his value and probably get a lot more for him than John Wall and a late 1st rounder. We probably would have picked in the mid to late lotto and ended up with Sengun. So would u rather have Sengun, Kazuma, Calwell-Pope, the #22 pick in the 2021 draft, and keep our protected 1st round pick from pistons. Or Sengun and Green? Keep in mind that Walls untradable contract prevented us from taking on salary for additional assets to rebuild, and we didn’t even get veteran leadership out of it.

I still would probably take Jalen, but we would have had the assets to move up and get another really good player along side Sengun, like a Trey Murphy.

if Jalen takes a big step this year this debate becomes irrelevant.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is in his 3rd year and he has not shown the ability to elevate a team outside of scoring........I think times have changed where scorers have been seen as the go to guy for a franchise.

Brooklyn was led by Mikail Bridges and Cam Johnson, 2 two way players.

You have to at least sign 1 or 2 triple threats next to him for it to work.

If he has not sniffed the first deep playoff run by age 24-25.....then chances are he would be on mediocre teams for more than half his career.

We have not even touched on potential injury issues yet.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

and thats why we got rid of the wrong guy... imo

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not so sure if we could have rehabilitated Russ's value. Russ is Russ. He was not going to change. But, yeah, we have seen in the subsequent years that some teams still thought he was the superstar they thought he was. Maybe we could have fleeced LeBron and got a decent haul by trading him to the Lakers if we could wait a little longer.