1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He said it was not his strength but where was the interview where he specifically said Sengün should not shoot 3s at all.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He said it was not his strength but where was the interview where he specifically said Sengün should not shoot 3s at all.

Not encouraging -/ discouraging.

There is a whole lot of grey areas there.

What he did was he discouragingly used Alperen ......for no reason other than his BS excuses.

The 3 pt shooting part is the only part that is probably on the Shooting coach or the lack thereof.

#5822 daywalker02, Aug 7, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    HardenReturns likes this.
  3. fckbandwagons

fckbandwagons Member

Dobbi Getting cooked out there LOL

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's true that he did not directly say it. But he was asked by a direct question whether he told Sengun not to shoot 3s. In his typical evasive answer when it came to Sengun, he said it was not Sengun's strength. The question was direct. His answer was not. He could have answered the direct question directly and said "No, I did not discourage him" and then supplemented it by "It's not his strength, so I want him to concentrate on the post game."

Someone might be able to pull that video out. I thought it was pretty clear that he did ask Sengun not to shoot 3s.

He did answer directly about not running plays for Jabari.

HardenReturns likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Look man. This is not the reason Sengun does triple pump fakes at the three point like with zero defenders around him. It's a very bad excuse especially given the vague language of a non answer.

Sengun simply is hesitant to take shots ANYWHERE outside the paint. He hesitates on open middies for goodness sake. This means defenses completely ignore his existence the moment he isn't in the paint. They pay attention to him if he starts rolling towards the rim obviously.

This is going to impact spacing heavily

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. maj21

maj21 Member

He was also hesitant when he played In Turkey. I agree with you 100% on that

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Delete.

#5827 daywalker02, Aug 7, 2023
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think we are all Anti Silas guys but let's view another angle.

How many threads have there been on Stone commenting on Alpe......not many or like none.

Therefore there are likely more than one force within the Rockets organization that is absolutely not pro Alpe.

Since the news broke out that Witus was behind the Senguen pick.

Stephen is just the fall guy for everything bad happening. People are just at his lips because he was the only dude giving interviews almost every day.

The majority of us do not know what was going on behind curtains, and those who have a clue would not comment further.

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Alperen also said it in a turkish interview that Silas asked him to pass the Ball even if he had an open 3.

Easy and HardenReturns like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Silas was a muppet or puppet, the voice that speaks thru him has to be found.........hope it is not Stoney.

All that Silas ever does was giving interviews and smiling to the camera.

Probably talking to his staff and Stone.

Easy likes this.
  11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dang, did realize Turkey summoned Alperen without making the Fiba World Cup.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

got posted on this thread a few times

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I find it hilarious how people on this forum (Rockets fans ALLEGEDLY) keep bashing Alpi while the amount of players/coaches around the league that love/like his game simultaneously keeps growing! Mind-boggling.....:confused:

Go Rockets!!!

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I get what you say. I am not even trying to blame Silas or give excuses for Senguns' hesitation. I'm just saying that coaching has a lot to do about his shooting hesitation. Whether Silas was just obeying orders from above or not is not the point.

BTW, IMO coaches should encourage players to shoot when open unless the guy obviously does not have shooting touch outside of 3 feet. If the guy has shown that he really can't shoot, then you either bench him or you do something to work around it. Spacing is premium in today's basketball.

cml750 and HardenReturns like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is why I said they have additional shooting or assistant coaches.

The head coach is not doing everything.

He is to blame for the failures of his assistants also, yes, that is his responsibility but deep down we know who should do what in a structured coaching setting.

The Rockets basically cheapened out at the assistants too, they took less distinguished assistants alongside a coach like Silas.

It was basically bad PR.... Silas should not have said so many stupid things if he is in a bind, or said NO COMMENTS.

He was doing a talk show......which is truly perplexing.

#5836 daywalker02, Aug 7, 2023
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think shooting coaches are responsible for HOW they shoot, not WHEN and WHERE they shoot.

The "when and where" part should be directed by the head coach's or the offensive coordinator if they have one. It's about strategies, not about shooting mechanics.

AroundTheWorld and HardenReturns like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This was pretty much known before the Rockets took Silas in.

That Silas was a coach who preferred guards over bigs......and that he could not coach finesse bigs, just rim running ones.

Should have included Hakeem or someone in there.

In the end the Rockets cheapened out with both Silas and his assistants...... and the fans are whining about that.....it sucks but the selection was made years of years ago.

Just go back to where Silas was signed and the first 2-3 pages, people are cheering.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I understand now, with that said I would like to hear it from Sengun in English and not some translated stuff.

There is no doubt he is probably regretting this as well not having developed a consistent shot.

It is very easy to speak in his native language and shoot back when nobody understands, and all this Twitter stuff thru his channels but rarely thru Alpe himself.

Of course someone has to convince me that Ime Udoka is using Sengun the right way and emphasize the use of Senguen.

Easy likes this.
  20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I agree with the bold part. But Silas was absolutely incompetent, he didn't fail or do what he did because he was forced to. He was dealt bad cards, and that gives a bail out if you don't want to believe he is the worst head coach in nba history. If he was not incompetent and there was stuff going behind the curtains, he could have resigned in time and get himself out of that.

AroundTheWorld and daywalker02 like this.