1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Yankees

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 3, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I still think Pena can hit 2nd vs LHP but he is brutal vs RHP and should be 8th or 9th.

I actually like Bregman 2nd vs RHP, especially now that Chas and Diaz are productive lower-middle type hitters for 5th-7th spots.

jim1961 and CinematicFusion like this.
  2. toby

toby Member

I'm gonna be super interested to see the lineup with Verlander out there . . . will he have his personal center fielder? Who will DH? Who's in left?

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the Astros play Chas and Meyers in LF and CF against LHPs and as long as Maldy is batting 9th, the Astros should be the best offense against LHPs regardless of who bats 2nd. Though if we are going to move up guys due to splits against LHP, Chas probably has the best claim about for batting in the top 4 among guys not considered stars by most.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Not that I know of.

Javier is gassed and possibly hurt.

He has gone from pitching 100 innings, to 150 innings and the post season and the WBC to pitching this year without really having a break. There were some that said that the World Series and WBC with little rest would impact the pitching on the Astros and I think it has with Javier, who is traditionally more dominant than a workhorse - he had given up 22 runs in 24 innings going into yesterday. He got hit early and then kept them off the board.

It isn't my call, but I would skip him a couple of starts and see if it helps some.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

I agree. and now would be the time to do it, instead of waiting closer to the postseason and just hoping he'll suddenly snap out of everything. With the return of Urquidy and JV, there's enough depth to go down this path and see how that works out at this point and go from there. Could also be pen time in the end as well

clos4life and whiskeyred like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

His velocity looks like it is back. His arm slot looks back. The movement on his fastball and slider look more like last year's. I'd probably go with a piggyback limiting his innings, but giving him time to find his control.

If the Astros were going to give him time off, they should have done it earlier.

#546 Joe Joe, Aug 4, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  7. Major

Major Member

They didn't really have the starting pitchers to do it earlier. But now they have 7 - so either a 6 man rotation or just skipping him entirely and maybe IL'ing him for a couple of weeks seem like viable options.

8. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

you spelled clown wrong
    Johnny loves him some Julkes

Tomstro likes this.
  9. conquistador#11

They're talking about possible rain.

Tomstro likes this.
  10. mightybosstone

When Urquidy is back, rather than going with a six-man rotation as has been publicly suggested, I wonder if it's worth doing a five-man rotation that allows for each guy to get some rest and miss a few starts down the stretch before the playoffs? Or maybe they just go with five guys until they feel like Javier is ready and then implement the six-man? Having a surplus of starters with the Verlander addition certainly gives them flexibility to get Javier right before the postseason.

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I’m seeing the rain starts around 9.

12. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

GD! Only on Apple TV tonight. Their broadcast is pure trash and the commentators don’t know **** about baseball. Ugh

13. CinematicFusion

14. CinematicFusion

6 man rotation will help Arms of brown, France, even Framber.
    Rest looks like it’s helped Javier some, skip a start again and then go into a 6 man rotation?

mightybosstone and Pringles like this.
  15. Pringles

Pringles Member

Anything will be better than what we just had to go through because of injuries.

Hopefully, we can get Javier and Brown some much-needed rest. If Javier can come close to what he was last post season, then we will be rocking for the playoffs.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  16. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Oh look at that, Dusty puts out a lineup like he wants to win today.

17. CinematicFusion

I like it

jim1961 likes this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I like the idea of pitching Framber and JV every 5/6 days depending on how schedule falls. Make sure both pitch in the Rangers series.

Then schedule Urquidy every turn.

Then fill in France, Brown, and Javier in the open games piggy backing them and putting them in the bullpen for turns as needed to help keep innings down.

mightybosstone likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is the best possible lineup. Likely the playoff lineup.

jim1961 and htownrox1 like this.
  20. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Love it. Only thing I would do differently is swap McCormick and Diaz.

Wulaw Horn likes this.