1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem is WAY better than you think

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Caesar, Jul 31, 2023.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The Athletic:
    No. 11: Hakeem Olajuwon

Complex.com:

14. Hakeem Olajuwon

espn.com:
    12. Hakeem Olajuwon

lines.com

11. Hakeem Olajuwon

sportsnaut.com
    11. Hakeem Olajuwon

hopehype.com
    11. Hakeem Olajuwon

clutchpoints.com

12. Hakeem Olajuwon

ranker.com
    11. Hakeem Olajuwon

bleacherreport.com

14. Hakeem Olajuwon (after david robinson lol wtf) https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-100-ranking-the-greatest-players-of-all-time

theresourcenexus.com
    12. Hakeem Olajuwon

cbssports.com
    11. Hakeem Olajuwon

ainsworth.com
    11. Hakeem Olajuwon

So I was actually mistaken I went down the list ranking after ranking and could not find him top 10 in a single list. Where exactly are you reading that I am missing here? It's all good I am just curious. I would personally put Hakeem around 8 or 9 i guess.

Yung-T likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Fixed that for you.

Drift Monkey and cml750 like this.
  3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i haven't heard of most of those let alone read them, i know thinking basketball had him like 5th or so? There's very few people who's opinion i care about i guess so those are irrelevant to me

peleincubus likes this.
  4. cml750

cml750 Member

All of those GOAT rankings are putting a ton of weight on championships. The video @Caesar put in the OP which is the focus of this discussion is spot on that Hakeem had the least amount of help and did more than anyone when considering the teams he had to work with. If he had more help throughout his career, he would have won more championships leading to being ranked higher on every single GOAT ranking list. He may have been #1 because if he won more rings some of them would have come at the expense of the Jordan led Bulls.

He is definitely GOAT on my list! ;)

daywalker02, Mathloom and Caesar like this.
  5. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Rockets sweep the Bulls in 95.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Member

Bulls wouldn't make it without size to deal with Orlando and then Indiana

7. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

8. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Hakeem played with 0 HOF (not including K.Smith who likely will go in as broadcaster) in 2 championships which makes him Great.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Hakeem is anywhere between 4 and 8 or so but firmly in the top 10 by any competent analysis. At no point should he ever be ranked by anybody behind Kobe Bryant.

napalm06 likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They try to fit Curry, Durant and their generation in....at the cost of Keem.

And they commemorated Kobe after his demise.

#70 daywalker02, Aug 7, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would say Hakeem, Kareem, Russell are closer to MJ and Bron, just to be fair to the others and shed a tad of that homer glasses.

Personally I also really like Magic Earvin.

Magic and Hakeem oh boi.

#71 daywalker02, Aug 7, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    cml750 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Kobe over shaq, you gotta be pretty damn brain dead to actually say that out loud

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Most rank Jordan #1. Why don't we ask him his thoughts on Hakeem, as they were peers? He has always praised Hakeem as one of his most worthy foes. What is Steph Curry doing against Jordan? Nikola Jokic? Kevin Durant? Case closed.

15. Ancient Moabite

Wherever I see Bird/Magic on those list I immediate place Dream there, I would draft him over those two if starting my franchise from scratch

BigM, peleincubus and cml750 like this.
  16. Ancient Moabite

Gasol clearly had a brain freeze moment leaving off Shaq/Dream/Wilt and possibly even Dr J

But its his personal list so he gets a pass on that note

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. cml750

cml750 Member

Nice article. It is good to see Dream is #1 based on an objective measure by a guy who was a Jordan fan. He confirmed what I already knew. I watched just about every Rockets game during Dreams career and also quite a few Bulls games. There is no doubt in my mind I would pick Dream over Jordan any time. Nobody has EVER said the Rockets made a mistake taking Dream over Jordan. It is crazy they both were in the same draft along with Barkley and Stockton. I remember how excited I was back then that the Rockets won the coin flip again knowing they would take Dream keeping him home in Houston after he tore up the NCAA with the Phi Slama Jama Cougars.

#77 cml750, Aug 12, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rockets arch-enemy and legend Cornbread Maxwell is asked about his 5 best players after Dr. J announces his 10-best players. Listen to the whole interview if you want, but it's cued up to the relevant topic (he does make a mistake about Hakeem getting more than 2 quadruple doubles, but I'll forgive him) :

cml750 likes this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It’s too bad the primes of players are what they are. Would be cool if they played 30 years and had like a 20 year prime. Hakeem would have retired less than 10 years ago if that were the case.

20. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I dunno man. Those Jokic behind the back passes are looking like a rare feat for a center of any era. The playmaker to the extreme of any position makes a player look truly special and provides metrics you can't fully measure and appreciate.