1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I was really surprised to see Perez DFA’ed and it would not surprise me if he was claimed. I half expected he was only DFA because they had a trade lined up that included him. He hasn’t had a good year but he is only 23 (the same age as some guys like Collin Price who were drafted just last year) and has a very high arm/power combo. But he is another example of how players with limited defensive ability have such a low margin for failure in their bat.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Dezenzo or Leop
    Some are very high on Dezenzo - really big frame, but can play well multiple spots on the infield - has cut down strikes, moved multiple levels and I know some think the power will come back.

3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Dezenzo is the reason I am not too worried about extending Bregman again.

Nook likes this.
  4. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

This is either how bad our farm system is, and/or how meaningless the top 30 Prospects list is that is featured prominently on the Astros website... Perez is listed as our #11 prospect.

vince likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Now that we're a couple of years removed, Luhnow's international crop from 2016 to 2020 was absolutely terrible. Almost all of the young talent we acquired was via draft.

Maybe I'm missing somebody from our top 30 groups, but Luis Garcia and Cionel Perez (who was a big bonus cuban, not a find) are the only players of note. Freudis Nova (another big bonus guy) Misael Tamarez and Jairo Solis are the only other guys that even made the top 10 organizational chart. There's still some guys lingering around in the system from that era that could change that, but It looks like we really struggled.

6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

There's a lot of dead weight on the 40-man roster right now still... Paredes has completely dropped off the cliff with a near 6 ERA in AAA.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

My post-deadline Top 30:

No research, just vibes tbh

1. Luis Baez
    2. Jacob Melton
    3. Brice Matthews - likely to be a slow burn
    4. Spencer Arrighetti
    5. Colin Barber
    6. Alonzo Tredwell
    7. Zach Dezenzo
    8. Colton Gordon
    9. Kenedy Corona
    10. Joey Loperfido
    11. Pedro Leon
    12. Nolan DeVos
    13. Andrew Taylor
    14. Rhett Kouba
    15. Miguel Ullola
    16. Kenni Gomez
    17. Trey Dombroski
    18. Michael Knorr
    19. Jake Bloss
    20. Zach Daniels
    21. Jose Fleury
    22. Quincy Hamilton
    23. Shay Whitcomb
    24. Forrest Whitley
    25. Tyler Whitaker
    26. Nehomar Ochoa
    27. Chase Jaworsky
    28. Camilo Diaz
    29. Alimber Santa
    30. Raimy Rodriguez

Next 15

Jaime Melendez
    Tyler Guilfoil
    Waner Luciano
    Carlos Espinosa
    Anthony Huezo
    Zach Cole
    Miguel Palma
    Ryan Gusto
    Will Wagner
    Angel Macuare
    Julio Robaina
    Jeron Williams - my "exceeds expectations" guy from the 2023 draft class. These picks haven't gone well for me, but I think he'll find a way to contribute.
    Sandro Pereira
    Germán Ramirez
    Eduardo Perez

#2287 tellitlikeitis, Aug 2, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
  8. vince

vince Member

Was hopeful that Joe Perez could continue to progress. I know he’d been trekking along slowly, but it seemed he was making solid progress.

Nonetheless, space on the 40 man roster is valuable and needs to be on folks the club really believes are in the club’s trajectory.

9. vince

vince Member

Was hopeful that Joe Perez could continue to progress. I know he’d been trekking along slowly, but it seemed he was making solid progress.

Nonetheless, space on the 40 man roster is valuable and needs to be on folks the club really believes are in the club’s trajectory.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Joe Perez looks like he's finally healthy. He'll get a shot somewhere else.

He was also nowhere close to being the #11 prospect in the system.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Not gonna lie, watching Pedro Leon is why I’m fine with the trade we made for Verlander.. you can say Gilbert and Clifford are better, and I believe it, but man, so much hype for Leon and now how he has dropped. Similar drop could happen to Gilbert or Clifford at any time, needed to strike while the iron was hot and help keep our chances to win it all again.

vince and Amadeus Rooster like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Just know, there was a Dodger fan making this same point on this same date in 2016 after they acquired Josh Fields.

You win some, you lose some. Not every trade is going to work out. I'm happy with this one, but I am against the mentality that prospects can bust so we shouldn't worry about trading them.

Nook, vince, Wulaw Horn and 1 other person like this.
  13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I didn’t mean to sound like I am for sending out all prospects as they can bust. I was all about keeping Whitley and Tucker a while back, although I did consider Tucker for one of the star pitchers at the time. And I was dead wrong.

But let’s not point to the freak accident that was Yordan alvarez and say “see! Prospects are worth it” it is very rare that happens. Also, when it does happen, it’s the dodgers. The Astros have lost 1-2 strong prospect and the best was Hader, who is not Yordan level.

vince likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Let's not point out one prospect busting that wasn't traded when the Astros are a team mostly built on prospects that weren't traded. I believe keeping prospects such as Altuve, Springer, Keuchel, Correa, Bregman, Alvarez, Tucker, Chas, Pena, Framber, Javier, Garcia, Urquidy, and Brown have had a much bigger positive impact than the guys the Astros kept and busted have hurt the team.

On guys the Astros traded, Musgrove, Laureano, Hader, Houser, Stassi, Rogers, Sandoval, Teoscar, and Siri all have provided at least a good year for other teams. The Astros may not have given out a player at the JV or Cole level, but they have given out a lot of value to get a few great players. Take out the OG JV trade, and I'd guess the Astros have sent out a ton more value in prospects (though not concentrated) than they have received as MLB players (i.e., trading MLB players for prospects don't count).

#2294 Joe Joe, Aug 2, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
  15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Austin Deming, the Astros' 10th-round pick a couple weeks ago, just hit his first home run as a pro down in the FCL.

16. prospecthugger

Asheville is playing early today. Ullola went 4.2 IP 4H 2R/ER 1BB 11Ks. Between the strikeouts and a caught stealing, the Tourist's defense didn't record an out on a batted ball until the 5th inning.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Chase Jaworsky went 2-4 and drove in the FCL squad's other run with a single.

18. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Singleton has dropped his Ks to less than 16% in his last 13 games, which had been his biggest weakness, while still hitting .380 w/ 6HRs and 11BBs. Hopefully he keeps it up.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

$400,000 and up signings from that time period:

Gilberto Celestino, $2.25 million - struggling with injuries in AAA this year for the Twins
    Yoanys Quiala, $794,000 - nice 2017, but scuffled badly in 2018; made it to AAA in the Giants system
    Alejandro Garcia, $750,000 - Cuban who signed at 24, really fast... but that was pretty much it to his game. Spent most of his time as an AAA 4th OF
    Yeuris Ramirez, $500,000 - Released last year; never made it out of Class A
    Enmanuel Valdez, $450,000 - made his MLB debut with the Red Sox this season

Elian Rodriguez, $1.9 million near the end of this IFA period - Big Cuban arm that couldn't throw strikes
    Anibal Sierra, $1.5 million - made it to AAA but was a non-factor offensively, barely clearing the Mendoza Line
    Freudis Nova, $1.2 million - had an excellent pro debut, but an underwhelming full-season debut and injuries pretty much wrecked him. Retired earlier this year.
    Yorbin Ceuta, $1 million - Played a grand total of 9 games outside of the complex leagues
    Angel Macuare, $695,000 - Made it to Sugar Land, but he has yet to put everything together. I think he's eligible for minor league free agency after this season.
    Nerio Rodriguez, $480,000 - Has flashed offensive potential but hasn't been able to stay healthy
    Deury Carrasco, $480,000 - Couldn't really hit, but is having a nice year as a pitcher
    Jairo Solis, $450,000 - Miraculously back in AAA after missing 5 years. I think he's also eligible for minor league free agency too.
    Jeury Castillo, $400,000 - Never made it out of the DSL

The Astros couldn't sign anyone for over $300,000 in this period. Everyone here signed for $300,000

Heitor Tokar - large Brazilian RHP released this year, probably would've benefitted if short-season leagues still existed
    Yefri Carrillo - Recently released, converted to pitching after originally signing as an OF
    Jairo Lopez - Recently released, had not appeared in a game since 2021
    Wilyer Abreu - having an OK year at AAA for the Red Sox
    Ricardo Leon - had less than zero idea of what/where the strike zone was
    Yimmi Cortabarria - Never got out of the complex leagues

The Astros couldn't sign anyone for over $300,000 in this period either. This was the last year of the IFA period starting on July 2.

Ricardo Balogh - Having an okay season in Fayetteville but moving to 1B has put big pressure on his bat
    Cristian Gonzalez - Big potential, but 2023 is pretty much a lost year for him

This class really got hurt because of COVID canceling everything.

Dauri Lorenzo, $1.8 million - struggling in Fayetteville

20. vince

vince Member

Awesome recap!