1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

They should have been able to extrapolate out from his BABIP numbers. It wasn't hard to see.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Depends, is it a playoff game? I'd probably trust Hunter Brown more in the playoffs than 40 year old Justin Verlander.

That's why I'm not really high on trading for him in the first place. He helps during the regular season so long as you don't have to give up any starting pitchers on the big team, but will he have anything left in the playoffs? Will he be healthy for the playoffs?

I can't be certain about either.

everyday eddie and ROXTXIA like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Thanks. And 2017 he was the ALCS MVP and was the best starting pitcher the Astros had in that WS. His playoff/WS struggles are overblown with some of that happening earlier in his career with the Tigers.

Framber had one of the best/most dominant playoff runs of any starting pitcher last year… and in 2021 also had one of those dominant performances in the ALCS… but also had a lot of duds in 2021 that labeled him as a questionable playoff pitcher.

With such a small sample size, and with every game under the scope, just one sub-par outing leads to a lot of faulty narratives.

raining threes likes this.
  4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. raining threes

Does it hurt them in 3-5 years if the under 21 prospects you listed are what we hope they are? Even the AA pitchers look solid. There's a deal to be made. Brown has to figure out how to acquire another top 100 prospect from another team to get a deal done.

A trade with the Giants could look something like this, Meyers, Gusto, Loperfido for a Giants top 100 prospect that the Mets want.

6. conquistador#11

Sonny Gray is only 33. Thought he'd be the same age as Kate's husband.

ROCKSS and raining threes like this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Justin Verlander has a 2.26 ERA with a 7/1 K/BB ratio over his time with us. In 19 playoff games, not a small sample, he has a 3.87 ERA (FIP over 4) and a 3/1 K/BB ratio.

He is still a solid playoff arm, and I would love to have him back, but he has been a noticeably worse pitcher in October than any point in the regular season since he's been here, and for his career. That's a fact, it's not overblown.

Having said that he does have some great starts, even whole postseasons where he was good, so it's not as if he's never looked like himself in October.

8. mustang98

mustang98 Member

The only negative I see in trading for Verlander is that Dusty will want Maldy to catch him. I don’t want to see Maldy out there more than he already is.

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So considering Julks's BABIP has hit rock bottom lately, one should clearly see that he's had some bad luck in mid July followed up by a 4-5 days this past week in which he's lost his plate discipline trying to swing his way out of a slump. Julks should rebound. He's performing like a Tony Kemp quality player. Maybe he fades into nothing. Maybe he bounces to a team or two starting sometimes on bad teams and a 4th/5th OF on good teams. Maybe he figures out how to get some more power in the games to become a 2nd division starter.

This should not be construed that I think he should start instead of Meyers or Chas. Meyers's defense is too good not to play. I just don't think a team should give up on a player quickly that is likely better than a replacement player because the manager plays him too much.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

12. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

There are only two pitchers on our staff currently who have better numbers this season than Verlanders "down" playoff stats: a rookie and a guy who has given up 15 runs in his last 3 starts.

13. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I wouldn't mind Maeda. Shouldn't cost much right? His ERA is yikes but it looks like he had 2 bad starts at the beginning of the season before his injury and only 1 bad start after coming back. Only issue is it seems he doesn't go deep into games. Maybe 5 to 6 innings average.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Jesus Christ - can Hayman possibly do any more heavy lifting for the Mets here.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's so transparent, It can't be effective.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Just Dusty being stubborn.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is speculation on my part, but I believe Houston made a formal offer to the Mets letting them know it's good thru mid-day today; they will not budge from that offer (that does not include Hunter Brown) and are working other deals (for RP and SP) in case Verlander either accepts a trade elsewhere or NY decides to keep him. I believe they are hoping Houston is the only place Verlander will waive his NTC for. If lunchtime comes and NY hasn't accepted, Houston will up their pursuit of Rodriguez and/or Lorenzen.

18. lnchan

Well Buster Olney has yet to stan openly for the Dodgers this trade deadline... so far...

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Getting JV to drop his no trade clause for the Astros is the best reason to keep Maldy.

20. lnchan

Castro was his primary catcher before he got hurt...