1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

It's insane how folks here think Gilbert is the next Barry bonds. Guys take a deep breathe. Let's win more rings baby

#3921 astros123, Jul 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
  2. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Pretty sure he ended up needing Tommy John surgery

3. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

So much Veruca Salt in this thread.

CheezeyBoy22 and Nook like this.
  4. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

which farm system has produced the most ML players the last several years? Teams have gotta be taking that into account too

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I really think the pandemic has made prospect and farm system rankings very questionable. Things are straightening out but there are loads of guys drafted in 2020/2021 and who have broken out in the last 2 seasons that are very undervalued; similarly many of the the guys drafted highly in 2020/2021 could be drastically overrated. I can say with full confidence I would not trade Zach Dezenzo for Jack Leiter.

Houston does lack elite pitching prospects but their overall pitching depth is very good and their position player prospects are very very good. Their farm is not what it was during the peak Luhnow years but it’s in range of average.

6. jayfree

jayfree Member

Gilbert is being coveted due to his position in our farm system and potential. You hold onto a guy like him for 2 reasons:

-As a replacement to a current starter on your team
    -As trade bait to add to your team.

If the Astros felt he was close to his ceiling now I'm sure they'd sell, but it's obvious they feel he will be worth more in a trade next season when he hits AAA and they can better assess their outfield situation at that time as well.

It's too early for them to trade him away for a rental (even if it does go into 2024).

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

All much higher overall prospects than Gilbert, plus, even more importantly, it was a way different stage in the build of the franchise as well.

You have to give something to get something. I don't think risking the future potential of a lower top 100 prospect at a position that is our top organizational strength anyway, to increase our extremely realistic chances of winning another title in any of the next 2 or 3 postseasons, should even be a debate.

raining threes and mikol13 like this.
  8. Xopher

Xopher Member

I'm guessing you're talking about the character and not the band.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  9. jayfree

jayfree Member

That's just it. Who could we trade Gilbert for that would be controllable for the next 2-3 years to give us that chance? If that was out there right now then I'm sure the Astros FO is discussing that very thing.

My guess is Gilbert will stay an Astro

raining threes likes this.
  10. cardpire

cardpire Member

fans will generally lack perspective when it comes to prospects they've followed in their team's farm, and view them through the lens of their best possible major league outcome. easy to get attached to "their guys".

astros123 likes this.
  11. cardpire

cardpire Member

If they want JV, and they could get him with Gilbert, but cant without him, they should. But I'm more referring to the general concept and Ari Alexander saying there are 4 players that teams want that they do not want to part with.

astros123, J_Hunter_1977 and jayfree like this.
  12. jayfree

jayfree Member

JV would be the exception that it may be worth Gilbert for, but it looks like the Mets want a ton more.

Only way he comes to us is if JV says he would only come to Houston (or specifically states he doesn't want to go to LA).

13. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

The band or the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory deuche??

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

that's what i think is most likely as well, but we don't know if there's a salary + prospects mix that could potentially enable us to even the playing field with them.

jayfree likes this.
  15. Radricky

Radricky Member

Seether is neither loose nor tight
    Seether is neither black nor white

16. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Farm system rankings have always been questionable. The Astros have had a poorly ranked farm system for years now yet continue to churn out quality players that weren’t on any list. Player development is a huge factor.

scott_summers likes this.
  17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Via ESPN:
    July 31 updates

[​IMG][​IMG]

Could Verlander be headed to L.A.? The Dodgers have been engaged with the Mets on the potential of landing Justin Verlander, sources have told ESPN. But the prospect of pulling something off has seemed unlikely given the nature of Verlander's 2025 option, which automatically vests with 140 innings in 2024. If he hits that number, the acquiring team would be on the hook for somewhere in the neighborhood of $92 million for two-plus seasons of Verlander, who will be 41 in February.

But the machinations of the Max Scherzer trade made this interesting. In it, the Mets paid down all but $22.5 million of Scherzer's remaining salary in order to acquire a premier prospect in Luisangel Acuna, the brother of Braves star Ronald Acuna Jr. The younger Acuna is now the Mets' second-best prospect, according to MLB.com.

Each of the Mets' top five prospects is a position player. What they need are pitchers, and the Dodgers have plenty of those. The question is whether they're willing to give up the ones who would prompt the Mets to pay down enough of Verlander's remaining salary to make both sides comfortable.

It'd be a complex scenario, potentially made even more difficult by Verlander's no-trade clause. If Blake Snell and Marcus Stroman are off the table, and Logan Gilbert isn't really available, Verlander -- and potentially Eduardo Rodriguez -- could be the last high-ceiling starting pitcher remaining. The Dodgers aren't expected to add another starter if he isn't of that caliber. -- Alden Gonzalez

18. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

He could trade Maldonado and only the players and Dusty would roast him.

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Fighting chance?

Look, I want us to make a couple of bold moves myself

But what team in the AL, as currently constructed, would we go into a series with and say "damn, we don't have much of a chance here"?

Framber
    Javier
    Brown with France
    Graveman/Neris/Abreu/Pressley

With our offense, which when healthy and putting our best players out there (and in the past, Johnnie has played our best in the playoffs) is as good as any, and better than most

There is no team we would go into a playoff series against as a major underdog

Having said all of that, for those 8 pitchers listed above to be ready to go in the playoffs, we need some reinforcements so they aren't worn down. So while a JV or Cease and a Hader or Barlow would be awesome

I'll take a Lorenzen and a random solid bullpen guy. Either that or I hope they believe Araghetti or someone else on the farm is ready to help now

BigMaloe, raining threes and toby like this.
  20. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think Gilbert would be available for a Cease or Robert or both trade. Not alone no but a start. @Nook don't you think?
    Or completely off limits?