1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. raining threes

To get an ace you trade Pena and go with Dubon and Kessinger at SS this year. Then look to trade for a SS this off-season.

I would trade Gilbert and a guy like Knorr for JV.

Then try to trade Barber and a pitching prospect for Hader. How would y'all feel about a Gordon and Ullola for Burleson trade?

Load up on Pitching.
    Adding 3 more players by using the farm system isn't ignoring the future. Uness you don't believe in Brown's ability to do what he was brought here to do. Build the farm system up in short order. I believe in Brown, he's proven himself with the Jays, Braves.
    Agreed, but if I could trade Pena for an ace with control then it's a done deal

2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

On paper, they are winning the trades getting A.Chapman for unproven players and a bonified starter, a HOF for a potential starter. Yet, we end up with Graveman, a player that Chi White Sox let everyone know they are having a fire sale. What our GM needs to do is be pro-active, engaged with teams that haven't been on the radar as teams that are unloading players. Remember those days where we traded with Mariners (Astrodome), Diamondbacks, Tigers and Pirates?!?!?!?!?!?! Imo, Verlander is going to end up in the division with the Spankees.

IBTL likes this.
  4. raining threes

For this year and In the future, would you rather have Pena or a young ace like Cease? In the future?

5. mustang98

mustang98 Member

Quickest way to build a deeper lineup is by benching Maldy and make Diaz the everyday catcher.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Congrats!!! Fantastic news! It will be your greatest accomplishment. You’ll feel a love you never knew existed.

Take turns for a while feeding and sleeping. You’ll find energy you had no idea you had. It’s not hard, it’s just constant.

7. jayfree

jayfree Member

I have more faith in Pena coming close to his playoff production last year than I would Cease being an ace in the playoffs when we need him.

8. CinematicFusion

9. Buck Turgidson

10. raining threes

Strokes and heart attacks are common for older people in high stress jobs. Not saying I want this to happen, but for his own health, he should retire after this season.

11. Nook

Nook Member

All I have heard is that Verlander may come down to the wire. The Mets want a lot for him and Astros aren’t inclined to give up several of their absolute best prospects. I would say there is no way a deal happens - except the Mets have lots of money and if they pay enough of Verlander’s salary - it may happen.

Teams are waiting on Rodriguez and a couple other starters (including the Astros). Astros think the Rangers gave up a lot in deals but know they are in a different spot than Astros.

Cease off the market according to Sox, but Astros are still trying to pry him away.

Red Sox have taken calls as buyers and sellers. Can make a difference because Astros were somewhat close to getting a starting pitcher from them a few weeks ago.

Astros and Royals have talked recently, as have Cards and Astros and oddly - Astros and Yankees.

12. Nook

Nook Member

We are restocking, just that the players are in the lower minors at this point.

BigMaloe, IowaAstro, Radricky and 6 others like this.
  13. raining threes

I've grown tired of posters that tell others what they should be doing with their time here on earth.

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

If the Astros hold onto their current roster this trade deadline, it may be harder for them to get back to the World Series than if they DID follow through for a big trade or two, but their next few years will be brighter.

I don't mind holding onto Gilbert. There's no guarantee they would win the WS this year anyhow no matter what trades they make but there is a great possibility of added to this team in free agency in the off season. Hader and Snell would be nice grabs if possible that way.

Regardless, Astros have to be smart and not grossly overpay for maybes. JV would be the one constant I would throw a bit more at but not at the expense of having to rebuild the farm from the ground up again. Those few years of losing a first round pick hurt our stock and it takes special maneuvering to stay relevant during this stretch without panicking.

Nook likes this.
  15. ktex

ktex Member

Thank you, the update is appreciated!

16. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

17. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

18. raining threes

This is where we've got to agree to disagree.

Nothing is more valuable than an ace and Cease has Cole traits. IMHO

jayfree likes this.
  19. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Cease and Robert, or just Cease?

Don’t kill my dream…

20. Buck Turgidson

The Dream is Dead...

Long Live the Dream!