1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka new Rockets head coach!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spooner, Apr 24, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Wut

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

I’m didn’t even say Udoka is better than Mazzula, all I said is that his former players believe he is their favorite coach. What’s the ****ing argument? That’s a fact that they said this, if you have a problem with it then take it up with Grant Williams and Tatum because they are the ones stating this not me.

meh, saleem and backwardhead like this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

This is my reaction to 90% of the that guy’s posts even when not directed at me.

anthony59237 and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is the offseason, I do not have a problem with you, just what I observed throughout the years, that you have a desire wanting to be right most of the time and be in front and center of topics.

I do not even think Ime Udoka will stay a Rocket coach and will flock to another contender in the grand scheme of things.

Let us just get throught that infamous Phase 2.

I deal in relativity and not absolutes, and just the here and now.

#1344 daywalker02, Jul 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Btw, Udoka is better than Mazzulla, anyone with half a brain can see that. Udoka elevated the Celtics from a .500 team the year before to a finals team. Mazzulla maintained what Udoka built with an improved roster, adding Malcom Brogdon the 6MOTY winner and getting a full year of Derrick White when Udoka only had him for 26 games. In the playoffs the Celtics underperformed in every round and were winning DESPITE Mazzulla.

Ok NOW I’m saying it.

BaselineFade and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Udoka was far and away my pick even at the start of the coaching search when it looked like we would get either Nurse or Vogel. I was cursing Stone for only looking after his own ass instead of giving up control to a coach who has his own system and ideas and would set the culture for this team for the next decade.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What the hell has Mazzulla to do with the Rockets......nothing.

You should just stop beating the dead horse about a comment I made that Udoka is not the Lord.

And over-analyze what was said afterwards because that stopped being relevant once the main assessment is that Udoka is just another human being and a 1 year coach, a good one, yeah, but that is all there is to it.

Get over it........it is summer ....lmao. I regret talking personally about your post, but it is annoying sometimes.

#1347 daywalker02, Jul 29, 2023
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Mazzulla has nothing to do with the Rockets, I have no idea why the hell you brought him up.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. Ancient Moabite

It didn't die down fast because the outlets have to milk the story as much as they can while its plenty more going on behind the scenes that won't never be revealed

Celtics and NBA PR go hand in hand so they got what wanted, a said publicity Scandal, for the quadrillionth time

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now you play the victim of dementia. He was not brought up for comparisons at least, I said Spoelstra is an arguably better coach than Udoka and a more experienced one.

And that Grant Williams who is only 24 did not have the experience to play under many good coaches, naturally, he will refer to Udoka as his favorite.

Mazzulla being 35 is another interim coach who is not that bad, that is all that I said.

A guy who got the job because Ime could not control his lower body.

#1350 daywalker02, Jul 29, 2023
  11. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

Ime Udoka is the Rockets franchise Head coach !

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Arguably, Smart and Brown have also hinted that they preferred Udoka. Honestly the air in the locker room was pretty clear, most Celtics seemed to hate the transition to Mazzulla. Not Mazzulla's fault.

You can talk about technical stuff as much as you like - most coaches understand how to defend and execute any system - but it comes down to the choice of your own system, your culture but most of all your ability to inspire a bunch of egoistic alpha males to do things they wouldn't otherwise do.

Mazzulla btw strikes me as exactly what Silas would be if he coached a well constructed veteran team that already knows how to win a couple of playoff series. Easy to coach well when everything is set up for you. The true colors come out in the tough times.

I do think Mazzulla will grow significantly from his experience and end up a pretty good coach. I don't think he has a chance of being better than Udoka. Udoka was a "5-star" assistant coach that GM's have been watching since 2015. He has one year as a HC yet the media keeps saying he's a coach players would love to play for - despite his hard nosed style of coaching which usually pushes big players away (see: Thibs, JVG).

We got a REALLY good one. He's going to build this contender for us in a way that the culture is more indispensable and durable than any single player. Can't wait to see it unfold. Can't wait for all powerful Malika Andrews to hate on us for it.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Mazzulla’s assistant coaches all left him from a championship contending team to go follow Udoka on the worst team in the NBA. That’s all you need to know which one is the leader of men.

FLAGRANT1, glynch, keeez and 3 others like this.
  14. Ancient Moabite

Or you could chalk it up as bias/most favored including being better leader of men

Similar reason why DHop chose Titans over Pats, felt more comfy being around the OC and Vrabel over the OBrien/Pats, which O'Brien traded him which still bothers DHop rather he admits it publicly or not

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Grant williams actually goes into much more detail on how these coaches worked.

DreamShook likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Hopefully he fixes this(or Ben does)

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Maybe the issue is the sample size is small? Like two games total otherwise getting blown out haha

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

We were 25th in the league at overall FT% so it makes sense we'd also be bad in the clutch, could be random variation why clutch situations were even worse, or maybe just harder to hit those shots when you're young and less experienced in those situations (like everyone was on our roster except Gordon).

Adding FVV should help a lot with hitting our free throws. Underrated part of his value--he is a career 87% free throw shooter and brought that up to 90% last season.

Adding Brooks will also help. Despite being a pretty bad three point shooter, he is a decent free throw shooter (nearly 80% career).

Jock Landale is a career 77% free throw shooter as well.

Just as importantly, getting rid of KJ Martin (68%), Daishen Nix (67%), Usman Garuba (62%), and playing a lot less of Jae'Sean Tate (72%).

We should be a lot better at shooting free throws this season.

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Still bothers Texans fans too

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Fix what? Looks like some of the best teams in the league suck at "clutch FT%" (whatever they deem that to be).