1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

Wow they got 2 of the top 3 prospects for 3 month rentals. Angels overpaid..yikes the market is bad.

It's a sellers market. Teams will pay premium now that there's an extra wild card. There's no more deals to be had. It's capitalism in its finest. More supply = more demand and more competition

#2781 astros123, Jul 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  2. cardpire

cardpire Member

leave it to the angels to **** the market. what an asinine trade. those are their #2 and 3 prospects??

3. astros123

astros123 Member

For both rentals !!!! That's crazy!

raining threes and cardpire like this.
  4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Really don’t understand the Angels. Wth

5. HTown2017Champs

I guess they are trying to tell their fans "look, we really and truly are serious about trying to win," but if I was their owner I would do the OPPOSITE, and say "look at how well it worked for the Astros." But I'll take anything that weakens the other teams in our division.

6. conquistador#11

See Ohtani, this is how much we think of you! We're going to do the dumbest thing ever just so you can notice us putting the effort in. .

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Regardless of how much of an overpay it was they just set the price

Melton and Korey Lee for Stroman and Bellinger.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Heavy price for Angels but really they have to either tear it down or go all in.

Giolito isn’t a star - really more of a 3, but can win a lot of games with an offense behind him. The Lopez throw in gives them a quality pen arm with upside.

Only way this likely works long term for the Angels if they resign Giolitto.

Good outcome for the Astros - they were not going to pay this much and he isn’t going to the Dodgers or Rangers or Braves or Orioles… maybe the Angels get hot, but if the Astros can’t beat the Angels, they aren’t winning anything anyways.

Silver lining for Angels is they kept their highly coveted top prospect in this deal.

prospecthugger and BigMaloe like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Keep in mind these are the Angels 2-3 prospects but not as high on most other teams.

10. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Angels are complete morons

The Beard and astros123 like this.
  11. raining threes

After tonight's game Brown needs to trade for either JV or better yet Snell and Lorenzen. Plus a bullpen guy or 2. Hader would be awesome, but I would be happy with Robertson and Hicks if he doesn't re-sign with the Cards. At this point add pitching and hope Brantley makes it back. Teams with pitching win WS. Finnegan and Barlow are guys I would look at to rebuild the bullpen.

InTheGroove likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

It’s not very likely the Astros get a starter need the quality of JV or Snell. Astros have spoken to Cardinals about Jack Flaherty. That is the type of starter they are likely to get. Has some upside, but more of a 3-4 type starter if he plays well with our defense.

The emphasis is definitely on the bullpen and they have asked about all the possible options - Robertson, Graveman, Barlow, Hernandez, Cisneros.

At this point I think they would be happy with one of those relievers and then another like Bloom.

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

And this Angels trade shows a big part of why I was so pessimistic headed into this trade market for the Astros. The prices were going to be stupid.

Also, lots of desperate teams like the Angels. They HAVE to go all in to have any chance to keep Ohtani. The Padres have spent so much they can't sell either. Then you have teams with so many top 100 prospects they won't even flinch to give some up for even rentals. The Dodgers and Orioles have 16 top 100 prospects combined....

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

We're not trading with the Cubs so they are safe

15. htownbball

htownbball Member

Heavy price for the angles but I don't think either were top 100 prospects

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Quero is ranked 65th on MLB.com.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That Angels trade is the equivalent of Drew Gilbert and Spencer Arrighetti for Giolito and Lopez. The Angels massively overpaid and set the market in a way that is devastating for Houston’s chances of significantly improving the team at this years deadline. The upside is that it is likely that the Angels and Rangers will decimate their farm systems over the next 6 days (the Angels already have).

That trade is not going to result in the Angels winning the World Series. And, as has been the case since they signed Albert Pujols, unless they dig themselves into a much larger financial hole, they will continue to be an also-ran.

After seeing this trade, I expect Houston to trade for a RP they think is underrated and maybe (I’d say probably less than 50/50) a SP who is not very good but is established. And it’ll still be costly. Something like:

Astros get:
    SP Michael Lorenzen
    RP Chasen Shreve

Tigers get:
    RHP Spencer Arrighetti
    OF/IF Pedro Leon
    3B Joe Perez

#2797 Snake Diggit, Jul 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    raining threes likes this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would be happy with what Click did 2 seasons ago. I would like an inning eater starter just so we can give the other guys some rest to get right. Montero didn't look horrible last night so maybe he can right the ship. His velocity hasn't dropped from last season so I think there is still hope for him to recover.

raining threes likes this.
  19. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Its amazing how schizophrenic us fans can be between wins and loses. I feel super bummed today about it, but then realized we won the series. Tampa coming up next is going to be tough.....

In terms of deals, I really do not think we can swing anything of significance with what we have. I just do not see it.

whiskeyred and Htown Stros like this.