1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Kpj sucks as a pg and shouldnt b the primary playmaker bc he lacks a lot of things u expect from a pg. Can't control the pace of the offense, fails to get his teammates involved in the offense, freezes out the hot man, sucks at fast break.

Folks blaming it on his teammates whiffing are just being delusional.

We literally gave kpj the keys to the offense and he just failed to deliver.

cheke64 and Losmi_34 like this.
  2. PatBev

PatBev Member

Not arguing against your point but he was given the keys to a broken down car with no intentions of fixing up until we got our last top draft pick

Surrounded by rookies who can’t shoot or score. Bari couldn’t even make layups this year. Our second unit was probably worse in the league with g league players like Armoni Brooks and Mathew’s

I just can’t stand watching y’all blame KPJ for not being a good point guard when every other aspect of this team was planned for tanking.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ was given the ball and told to go beat all 5 defenders by yourself......sans a system.....no one would look good with that......KPJ is a lot better than haters like you think he is......and will show it.....

100% correct.

DD

Plowman likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jalen Green a second year shooting guard who isn't supposed to be pg has more volume and efficiency on probably the most important type of play for a pg and that's pnr primary ball handler.

For pretty much almost every team the primary ball handler/playmaker leads their team in pnr ball handling possessions and efficiency.

And that's a second year off guard. So ya it's really bad. FVV is really going to unlock the pnr game here. And I expect Green to make a third year jump to where he's going to be the clear secondary primary ball handler behind FVV

5. DaDakota

LOL - can't you keep your ONLY FANS love for Green in a Green thread please.....

MMMKay..thanks.

DD

maj21 likes this.
  6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

LOL. Funny when anyone brings up KPJ’s weakness, you wouldn’t mind throwing all his teammates under the bus.

- his teammates can’t shoot!!!
    - they all have bad body language!!!
    - nobody else is playing defense either!!!
    - who else can play PG???

But now you want to focus on KPJ only? MMMKay…

7. DaDakota

All in context to KPJ and his role last season.

KPJ has his faults for sure, but he has been unfairly blamed for the team's failure when that is precisely what the org wanted.

And people talked like he is a finished product when he was barely 2 years into trying a brand new position with others who were still finding their game, and while the others are afforded the "They are young' excuse, many like yourself do not give the same understanding to KPJ.

Let me ask you a question who do you honestly think will be better at 29 years old as a PG if given the same years to develop?

FVV or KPJ ????

I am ok with FVV as we got him without giving anything up of value and he is an upgrade as an NBA player and veteran - but as a player, KPJ will more than likely blow by him in the next couple of seasons....

Patience for all our kids should be afforded, IMHO.......and if all you do is b**** about KPJ - and continue to do so after he has done everything the org has asked, and is now embracing a new role, then you are not a Rockets fan at heart, but a KPJ hater at heart.

DD

#6567 DaDakota, Jul 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  8. PatBev

PatBev Member

Is PnR a player decision or coach decision?

DaDakota likes this.
  9. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

And to answer your question “FVV or KPJ ????”

FVV 10 out of 10 times. Because I know where FVV is at age 29: a top tier starting PG with championship experience. KPJ? I don’t even know if he’ll be a rocket after this season.

But like I said before, if he can get his head on straight and embrace his new role, whatever it might be, I’ll be rooting for him. I never hated him as a player. Just don’t like the PG version.

#6569 duluth111222, Jul 24, 2023
  10. DaDakota

Why are you posting Clutch's Tweet? He has been consistently against KPJ as a PG, and I have been consistently on KPJ as a starting Combo guard, it is a difference in definitions.

I am fine with KPJ at the 1, well was until we got FVV......I am 100% a meritocracy guy. And I don't believe FVV is a big upgrade over KPJ at this point in time. worse scorer, but slightly better ball protector - neither great creators off the bounce for others.....so would have been fine to roll it back and put the money elsewhere.

DD

#6570 DaDakota, Jul 24, 2023
  11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

People can evaluate KPJ's abilities as a PG despite the flawed roster. If he needs a well constructed, elite roster around him to play the position well, then he's simply not good at it. OKC in 21-22 was 29th in offense and no one claimed SGA and Giddey were poor PGs. Ditto Tyrese Haliburton, whose Kings were 25th in offense in 21-22, but everyone still knew he was a fantastic PG.

I've been a KPJ defender, but it's clear he's not a point guard. That's not a knock on his talent, Kobe was one of the greatest players of all time and wasn't a great at point guard either. It's just not KPJ's natural play style. I don't even know why it's a controversial assessment. KPJ doesn't need to be a good PG to be a good player. There are plenty of great combo guards throughout the league. If I say CJ McCollum isn't a PG no one would give a crap, but say KPJ isn't and suddenly everyone's offended.

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

DD or BTG make the same mistake. They judge the players on different standards. Why is it unfair to judge Porter as a point guard considering he had “ terrible”teammates around him, but fair to criticize Green when the people around him were equally bad on D.
    Again, this is a person that called Kevin Porter Junior, our best defensive player a few weeks ago.

He is in charge of the Porter Junior lemmings.

duluth111222 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  13. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

lol
    You’re starting to sound more like Drew

So KPJ was given the ball and was told to beat up the 5 defenders/players?

how many times was KPJ even double teamed? Idk the answer but I recall maybe a couple times but also Alp and or Jalen got double sometimes triple teamed.

Anyway I’m sure no one told KPJ to iso and beat up all the other 5. He was just left out there to play his style since Silas had no structure or real plan. He was just a terrible coach.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  14. PatBev

PatBev Member

I never said KPJ should be the point guard. I never said he was a point. He was our best option and has endured three years of trash talk for playing a position his bosses asked him to play

It’s like if you say KPJ is a better player than Green everybody starts attacking his point guard skills cause there is no argument Jalen is a better guard/player, so they just repeat the same point guard criticizism that everybody already knows

15. i3artow i3aller

Leadership...

clutchdabear likes this.
  16. PatBev

PatBev Member

KPJ was the 14th most doubled team player in the league if you actually look it up

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

What a load of bs. Anytime the point guard criticism is brought up, we have the same Ole kpj stans state something stupid like kpj played well enough to start as a nba caliber pg, but it's just his teammates suck and whiff wide open shots. If his teammates hit their shot kpj would look better.

No one forced kpj to play that role, he embrace whatever the front office thought he could handle. Man's ego was so big he proclaim himself the head honcho and couldnt back it up. Our offense sucked and he was a big reason y as our pg.

Folks been wanting him to play sixth man for quite sometime while we have dem kpj stans hype up his playmaking abilites and his ability to play "pg"

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What's wrong with that play? They scored, didn't they. That's what matters. We are Rockets fans.

DD

19. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

The fact that they actually scored in the end makes him look even worse. He was like how dare you not pass me the ball?! But then guess what, they didn’t need him to touch the ball in that play anyways.

AroundTheWorld and Easy like this.
  20. DaDakota

See I am fine with complaining about KPJ there, he should have been benched. The problem is that when others in the team sulk, I dont hear or read a peep out of the KPJ Hatorades, it is hypocrisy at its finest.

DD

Easy likes this.