1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pickup Trucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kevooooo, Jul 21, 2023.

1. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I have a 2019 F150 with the 2.7L ecoboost. If you're not towing anything super large, it's a good choice. Depending on how you drive, you can get pretty good gas mileage.

The new interiors are better, especially if you go Lariat or higher trim with those big screens and the cool middle console. I just have an XLT, so nothing fancy.

Kevooooo likes this.
  2. Garner

Garner Member

You'll be happy with your Tacoma.

ElPigto, CCity Zero and Xerobull like this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

On a side note, my TIPMs comment didn't mention some of the outliers, like the 2500/3500 those are 2 I'd buy and are great trucks (agree with your mechanic friends too on engine!). I know we talked about your F150 before, that still really sucks on the salt catching up to frame. I still have my 01 5.4 w/ 4x4 but finally considering on selling it. I really like that truck still.. But got a newer truck since we finally needed to tow stuff. I wasn't about to start towing anything with the F150 since it wasn't used much for that/hardly at all. Mainly used it for the bed for parts/oil recycle etc./hauling stuff.

Exiled and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Have you considered a Toyota?

CCity Zero and Xerobull like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Why not buy the year model your friends say was the last good one? Toyotas last forever.

Glad we have a thread about Toyota trucks, finally.

Ubiquitin and CCity Zero like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

You can obviously - but it depends on if you want a new truck or not.

Personally it feels weird to me to have a Japanese truck - but I am aware that is just my own silly bias.

Exiled likes this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

8. Xerobull

Stick with Toyota.

ISIS prefers Ford. American = Toyota. Terrorist = Ford.

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

sample of my budget reno. (foundation to roof and anything in between basically)

I could had done it faster if I had a Toyota or if I wasn't forced to wear Beekeeper gear to avoid wasps stings

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

nice. Where is this at?

11. Xerobull

Next time drive your Toyota truck to put an ozone generator in the house for a week before you start demo. Will kill everything.

Exiled and CCity Zero like this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I have a 2006 4.6L F-150 that is 17 years old and 185,000 miles on it. Rebuilt the tranny at 152,000 miles. I just ordered a 2024 Maverick Lariat that will probably take 6 to 12 months before I get it (Hybrid). Don't need a big truck anymore and definitely don't want to pay for $45,000 to $70,000 for a big truck. Thought about a Tacoma, but wanted a hybrid without going over $40K out the door. Fully-Loaded Maverick lariat was right at $40k with TTL.

Kevooooo likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I've driven Ford, Chevy, and Dodge pickups on pavement and off-road when working fires. I like Ford the best.

You can order an extended range Lightning XLT with some nice options for around $72,000. With the $7,500 tax break, that gets you to the mid $60s. If you move up to the Lariat you don't have to buy many extras at all and you end up at $79,000 minus the $7,500 tax credit to put you in the low $70s. (The tax credit does not apply if the MSRP is over $80,000 so the Platinum is a no-go if you want the $7500.) Lightnings should be fine for the kind of driving you describe. Also, you can reverse power your house with it when the grid goes down and if you charge at home it is way more convenient and cheaper than gas. Plus, you know, no emissions and instant torque.

Gas or EV, get a light color, like white or kinda white to combat the heat. Huge difference in a white rig vs a black one when it gets to 95+.
    [​IMG]

Kevooooo and Xerobull like this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m not ready for full electric. I’m afraid of being stranded or captive to a charging station on a road trip.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

F150s aren't what they used to be. Silverados are expensive for what you get. If you want a dependable, nice truck, get a loaded Tundra. My second choice would be a Ram (and I'm not a Dodge person).

SuraGotMadHops and Kevooooo like this.
  17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Just curious on what their thoughts were on why...

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ford screwed up by not following up with the $39,999 starting price with the Lightning Pro. They didn’t want people to buy the base model (Fleet was their target). Greed in 2021/2022 from all car makers/dealers because of scarcity of supply is still a problem. Some dealers are trying to mark-up Mavericks by $3,000-$10000. Even the starting price of $19,999 has gone up to $24,000 for the XL base (which used to be for the Hybrid). Ironically, the Hybrid is cheaper than the ecoboost on the Lariat trim line. Mid-size trucks now start at $31,000-$35,000 for barebones models. The market for all types of trucks is inflated. That 2006 4.6LF-150 XLT I bought new 17 years ago had like a $7,000 rebate from Ford. I think I financed $23,000 for 5 years and had a payment of around $450 with nothing down. XLT Supercrew are $53,000+ and the lightning version is $65,000+.

I think everyone would love to have EV/Hybrids, but Automakers are just being greedy now. They are making vehicles bigger, but not necessarily better. They are squeezing out a huge portion of the population with vehicle pricing. The average new vehicle price is $48,000. Come on. People talk about Telsa reducing prices, the quality of Telsa cars is ****. There are many complaints about build quality (panel misalignments, accelerators pedals breaking off, etc..). Telsa cars are probably $20,000-$40,000 cars being sold at $40,000-$90,000.

I would love an EV and if the base Lightning was $39,999, I would be all over it. I decided to order a full-loaded Maverick hybrid lariat from a dealer who sells at MSRP. I will have wait til next year to get it, but I think I will be happy.

Kevooooo likes this.
  19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

the Maverick looks noticeably smaller — like a ranger. But then I also read they’re “similar exterior dimensions,”

20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I want nice — dependable is secondary lol. Again, it’s my luxury vehicle.

my Tacoma friend said today the new tundras have a nice interior so I will look at them, but not a fan of the look. I just love the Silverado/f150 look.

Im also halfway considering an suv now instead. Can get better gas mileage, nicer interior, and still be able to load way more stuff than I can in my sedan.