1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ryan Clifford hit his 15th home run of the year for Asheville.

vince, JeeberD, Marteen and 5 others like this.
  2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Zach Daniels is 3-4 with a solo shot (7) for Corpus. Rhett Kouba allowed four hits and struck out five over seven shutout innings.

3. htownbball

htownbball Member

Looks like Gilbert might finally be back healthy, starting to string together some good games lately

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jon Singleton walk-off 3-run homer for Sugar Land!

vince likes this.
  5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Singleton and Yordan should be in Oakland tomorrow. At some point a sense of urgency is warranted.

prospecthugger likes this.
  6. Willy92683

Willy92683 Member

Send Madris down and bring up Singleton.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Jairo Solis had a good outing last night, up to 97 on the fb and only 2 hard hit fair balls neither of which were in the air. Similar to Whitley I refuse to totally give up on Solis because of how much injury history he has. You never know if a guy will suddenly stay healthy and put it together, so when a guy has elite stuff it’s worth taking their development as far as possible. That said, next spring I would like to see both Whitley and Solis used in the pen to see if they can go ahead and start contributing in the majors.

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Singleton raked in AAA for Milwaukee too then completely tanked in the bigs.

He is not the answer and not worth DFAing a player from the 40 man to bring up.

If you are going to do that, then it needs to be Dirden or Gilbert - maybe Leon.

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I know there is no rational reason for optimism but you mention Whitley.

I keep thinking he is going to stick in the majors and have a productive rookie year next season. The question is who will he be playing for?

raining threes likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

What on earth makes you think Justin Dirden would be playable in the majors right now? He has a wRC+ of 84 in AAA this season and a .209 ops this month.

Leon would likely be unplayable as well but at least he’s shown some signs of life (he had a great June but has been bad again in July). Dirden has pretty much played himself out of the mix this season.

Singleton might not ever succeed in the majors, but if the Astros need to add lefthanded bench bat, he is easily the best option they have in AAA right now.

#2090 Snake Diggit, Jul 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    Willy92683, vince and prospecthugger like this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't think any of them are the answer now.

But Singleton has failed already. He has a very long AND recent track records of not being able to make the step up and hit MLB pitching.

At least the guys I mentioned still have the possibility of surprising and being productive MLB players.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Astros minor league bats have gone kind of cold this month. These are the only players who look like they’re making any kind of case for a promotion over the last 3 weeks:
    AAA: Singleton
    AA: Loperfido, Gilbert
    High A: Cerny, Clifford, Melton
    A: Garcia, Whitaker

(Cole and Baez have had great July’s but were just promoted.)

13. Buck Turgidson

This group is pretty exciting, it's been a while since the Stros have had much luck with their own Intl position players. In fact I'm struggling to think of the last one who became a serviceable big leaguer...Teo Hernandez (signed in 2011)?

14. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

If he gets promoted this season. Some weed dealers in Sugarland gonna be bummed.

15. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

That is probably a very smart thing to do. I still have a burning dislike for Singleton and would be dismayed to see him on this team. He represents unbelievable stupidity to me and I really would be ashamed to have him on our team. Perhaps he has matured and put that all behind him. Unfortunately I have not.
    I was with you till you said "not worth DFAing a player from the 40 man to bring up.", sadly we have several that it would not hurt to DFA.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Every batter in the Fayetteville lineup has a hit today. It’s the bottom of the 2nd with no outs.

17. Buck Turgidson

Baez hasn't had an XBH in about his last 5 ABs, singles only. Needs to quit slacking.

18. vince

vince Member

Jon Singleton represented a glimmer of hope when the Astros were losing 100 games a season. He never panned out back then, even after the Astros tried repeatedly to gift him the 1st base and or DH job. But hitting ML pitching is no joke.

I was too so hopeful for Bret Wallace, and really thought he would be a star too. But I’m not going to fault a fella for not meeting hefty expectations.

Jon Singleton is still chugging along, and I’m sure someone on the Astros organization thinks he may still have a shot to redeem his once promising potential.

scott_summers and raining threes like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Wallace, Singleton, Reed, White

Stros need to stay away from lardass minor league 1B

vince, raining threes and BlindHog like this.
  20. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

They can't all turn out like Fat Elvis