1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Langhi at the 2-spot???? Don't think so.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by subtomic, Jul 26, 2001.

Tags:
  1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know this has been a popular proposal on this board, but watching the first half of the RMR game against the Jazz, all I'm seeing is DeShawn Stevenson (a true 2-guard) blowing by him over and over again. Furthermore, I see him having terrible problems getting around screens. Even with the zone, I think Langhi would be a HUGE liability defensively because someone would have to pick up the slack and that would leave an opposing player way too open. I don't have anything against Langhi - he'll probably evolve into a Bullard Jr( with an attitude). But the Rockets should look into picking up another guard or keeping Shandon - Langhi isn't gonna work at the 2.

------------------

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

How's he doing on the offensive end? Is Stephenson holding him?

(Shift work sux!)

------------------
    It looks like a veteran can Be had.

3. djteknokid

djteknokid Member

Umm... I was kinda impressed with his ball handling skills and laterall quickness... I always though langhi was Bullard like player.. but i see that he can create his own shots... yes Stevenson was blowing by him couple times.. but langhi drove by him couple times (got stopped by 2nd defender though)...

I don think he has what it takes to be a great shooting guard.. but put him in a zone and go against a guard like steve smith will be very effective

------------------

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

RT already said DL experiment was just that...he won't play 2, but I do think he has the potential to be much better than Bull.

------------------

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

i think he could back up the 2 spot(langhi).i think griffins best position might be the 4 spot.with his shot blocking and rebounding are ideal for that position.langhi could man the 3 and roll like that.i feel funny to tie up a bunch of money with anderson and taylor.they might regret it 2 yrs from now.

------------------
    everett

6. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Ah, but Langhi has been able to get his shot all day, and he has been on.

His shot is so smooth. So very smooth.

------------------
    The time for logic and reason has come and gone.

It's homer time now. Believe.

7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Langhi will be able to get his shot off against the 3s too. Play him at the 3. Don't turn our swiss cheese perimeter defense into a hula hoop.

------------------

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Langhi plays like Mike Miller only more fearless and a tad more versatile.

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

9. alaskansnowman

<h1>Langhi is my BOY</h1>

He impressed me tonight. Of course I knew that he could be doing this all along, but it was good to actually see him do it. His handles weren't spectacular, but they were pretty good, and he was able to get by his man with some quick thru the leg cross over dribbles. His shot... well what can you say about his shot except the obvious - it is smooooooth, with the occasional airball poppin up here and there. Folks be prepared for about an airball a game from Langhi, and I am not kidding at all.

If Langhi just brings his shot with him, he'll be much more valuable than Bullard or Williams. Then once you count in his athletecism, his handles, his better defense, and I think you know who will be takin pt away from who next year.

------------------
    its not the hours you put in your work that counts, it's the work you put in the hours - alaskansnowman

10. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Alaskansnowman "Folks be prepared for about an airball a game from Langhi, and I am not kidding at all."

LOL you are so right [​IMG] DL in the LA SL popped an at least one airball in each game. But if his shots fall the way it does I don't mind an airball at all(except I just hate it when opposing crowds says airball repeatedly). His shot is a work of art. DL hits nothing but net or nothing. It's just beautiful when it goes in and not so pretty when it doesn't.

------------------

[This message has been edited by LA's #1 Rocket Fan (edited July 27, 2001).]

11. dream_team

dream_team Member

tonight was my first look of langhi... and I was VERY impressed.

don't ever say langhi is bullard-type player. they're very different... having a nice outside shot for a tall guy is probably their only thing in common. what makes langhi good is his ball-handling, lateral quickness,and athleticism for a guy his height... which are all the weaknesses of Bullard's game.

------------------

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Yes, you have hit the nail on the head. Stevenson caused major problems for Langhi.

Stevenson was 4 for 8 for 8 points.....wait that was for the whole game...and 2 of his 8 pts. were on the Griffin play...and Stevenson had 4 TO's. Maybe you were having trouble watching Langhi actually play because ESPN found Rusty LaRue, Tiny Arcibald, and John Stockton's father more important than the game.

In spite of ESPN, I did not see any reason Langhi can't pull quality minutes at the 2. Sorry, but we came away with different viewpoints on this one.

------------------
    Raef to Rocks in '01-'02!

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited July 27, 2001).]

13. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

It seemed to me that Danforth shoots better on the move than in open set shots. Crazy fadeaway jay with two defenders in his face. I just hope he doesn't become just a "Blade" Johnson type player.

------------------
    Can you smell what Dwayne Johnson is Cooking?

14. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

15. VandyChuck

VandyChuck New Member

OK, first of all, Langhi is MY boy [​IMG] I think his situation with the Rockets is very similar to how he was at Vandy. He was lighting up practices in his first two years, but it never carried over into games. Therefore his playing time decreased and his confidence plummeted. When he finally realized he had to be the man his junior year, he responded and began to "let the game come to him". As cliche as that sounds, it fits Dan perfectly. The way it sounds, he's forcing a lot of shots and not passing the ball, but hey, it's the summer league showcase!! I'd shoot it every time I touched it too!! He'll come around maybe not this year but soon, and he'll be as good as Mike Miller, and he'll make you forget Eduardo Najara ever existed. Once Dan quits looking over his shoulder every time he's on the court hoping not to get yanked, he'll be a solid Rocket player. And Jesus, PLEASE stop comparing him to Matt Bullard! Did Bullard ever take it baseline and dunk on Kevin Willis?? If he did I missed it. You'll see lots more of that throughout Dan's career

Chuck - Rocket fan since '00-'01

------------------