1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I understand what you are saying - and agree that the Astros are one of a few teams capable of meeting the White Sox needs to move Robert and Cease.

Luis Robert is under team control for 4.5 seasons at an average of about $17,000,000 a season. He right now is second in the AL in WAR behind Ohtani. He also is a good centerfielder. There are always injury concerns with him, but his production and upside is exceptional. He has a real chance to be a 7-8 WAR player this year. I personally would gladly trade Jeremy Pena for him. The Astros have Dubon who can handle SS and others coming up as well. Pena is a very good fielder and brings power but he does not provide even an average bat.

Dylan Cease has 2.5 years of control left. He is a bit of a work horse, and has been good to great for nearly three years when FIP is factored in. I would certainly take him over Jake Meyers or possibly even Drew Gilbert. In AA this year Gilbert has an OPS of like .650 and will be 23 years old to start the season next year. I like Gilbert, but he is not untouchable at all if I can get something really valuable, that fills a need and is under team control for years.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree with all that, with the caveat that I don’t think Gilbert’s AA ops should factor into his value considering he’s been hurt and playing inconsistently while adjusting to a new level. He should still be viewed as a Top 50 type prospect.

3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I like Jeremy Pena. I will forever be grateful for his 2022 playoff run. I would not be surprised if he eventually became a star.

He should not, under any circumstances, be considered untouchable. Honestly, he's one of those rare players whose reputation currently far exceeds his actual production on the field, and (if done properly) it would be wise to take advantage of this on the trade market.

I'd be totally fine if he stayed and we shouldn't just give him away, obviously. But we have to be smart about what we realistically have at SS.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I like Meyers a lot.

But let's just hold the phone on "he's as valuable as Cease" talk.

Cease is essentially equal to Framber.

Is Meyers equal to Framber?
    Don't forget that if Chas is not part of the deal, then the Astros have an OF of Chas-Robert-Tucker w/ Yordan and possibly Julks in there too for 2 1/2 yrs.

The system is full of guys who could be very valuable 4th or 5th outfielders.

Gilbert won't be needed and can he included in that deal, happily.

5. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Robert is under team control for $17,000 000 a season, meanwhile Chaz is just coming into his own an will cost less than 1/10th of that over that same time period. You can not simply ignore that part of the equation. The money saved can be used to improve the team in more dire areas of need.

everyday eddie, Nook and The Beard like this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Are we talking about trading Chas in this deal?

I thought Gilbert and Pena were mentioned?

7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Trade Hunter Brown. If we want get the best return.

8. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

The only purpose in bringing in Robert is to put him in CF. To ignore the effect of that on the roster is ingenuous.

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

We need pitching, all things considered I would say Brown is one of the 5 least likely guys in the organization to be traded

Yes, he had two bad outings in a row leading up to last night, but last night wasn't a bad outing at all. A Rookie in Coors field for the first time, 6 hits 0 BB 7 K's in 5.1 in that park is just fine

We need to add to Framber, Javier and Brown

10. Nook

Nook Member

Who said anything about McCormick? He can play LF for the Astros until a better prospect comes along.

I am taking into consideration money part of the scenario.

In a hypothetical deal including Pena - the Astros replace him with Maurcio Dubon - who is under team control for years.

Meyers is no longer needed, as there is no place for him - so there is no need to replace him.

Losing Gilbert hurts if he becomes a star, but there is no place for him in the outfield with Roberts in CF and the Astros have a couple monsters in the lower minors that are outfielders.

Roberts also is cushion in case the Astros do not resign Tucker

Cease shores up the rotation for 2.5 years. The Astros will have a top 3 of Valdez/Javier and Cease locked in at an affordable rate through 2025.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Why? Rookie walls happen. He's under team control for 5 more years, and even in his bad days, he is still 4/5 starter quality even on good teams this year. Framber was atrocious his first full year... starters take time to develop as they adjust to major league lineups and schedules plus different ballparks.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Okay? Chas plays LF then... Robert is a better centerfielder than Chas is.

An outfield defense of Chas/Roberts/Tucker is elite.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I could easily see 100 HR and 3 gold gloves.

14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I'll say it again

Cease, Robert, Graveman and Hendricks.
    It solves alot with our team.

Pena, Gilbert are the Head liners. Then it's a crap shoot from there what else would go. But just those two alone would make this trade go threw we just need to find the middle ground. Adding Meyers would be ideal. Then you just start seeing what they want! Colton Gordan, Pedro Leon and Spencer Arrighetti? What about Joe Perez or Forrest Whitley if not both?

This team would go straight to the top if that was added but. The Astros would have to move Montero asap to someone else.
    This would open up a world of scenarios.
    You could move Robert to LF or keep him in CF. McCormick would play the other rotating Yordan in LF and the other DHing. With Julks happily in off Days LF, RF, DH or even PitchHitting
    Sure we don't have a SS on the roster asap. But Dubon can hold that spot down till we do. He is batting very well and way over expectations. But he is getting it done. And him in the 9 spot. That opens up runs for Altuve Bregman and so on.
    Diaz has to stay. This will be Maldys last year. He just seems like he has lost alot lately. Kinda slowing down and not as perfect or good as he once was. Would offer him a coaching job with our Catchers.

astros123 and htownrox1 like this.
  15. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I'll say it again

Cease, Robert, Graveman and Hendricks.
    It solves alot with our team.

Pena, Gilbert are the Head liners. Then it's a crap shoot from there what else would go. But just those two alone would make this trade go threw we just need to find the middle ground. Adding Meyers would be ideal. Then you just start seeing what they want! Colton Gordan, Pedro Leon and Spencer Arrighetti? What about Joe Perez or Forrest Whitley if not both?

This team would go straight to the top if that was added but. The Astros would have to move Montero asap to someone else.
    This would open up a world of scenarios.
    You could move Robert to LF or keep him in CF. McCormick would play the other rotating Yordan in LF and the other DHing. With Julks happily in off Days LF, RF, DH or even PitchHitting
    Sure we don't have a SS on the roster asap. But Dubon can hold that spot down till we do. He is batting very well and way over expectations. But he is getting it done. And him in the 9 spot. That opens up runs for Altuve Bregman and so on.
    Diaz has to stay. This will be Maldys last year. He just seems like he has lost alot lately. Kinda slowing down and not as perfect or good as he once was. Would offer him a coaching job with our Catchers.
    Exactly

raining threes likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Imagine that OF on a team that also has: Yordan Alvarez, Jose Abreu, Jose Altuve, and Alex Bregman?

18. conquistador#11

Jeremy, Gilbert and Hunter.
    You could add Lee, Leon and Melton in the deal. It's a risk well worth it. With the players coming in having years remaining, it's a fair deal for both sides. Unless they pull an Abreu for the first few months here. Then it's uh oh, god, what have I done?

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. raining threes

Would Pena, Meyers, Gilbert, Arrighetti be enough to bring in Cease and Graveman?

20. raining threes

Would Pena, Meyers, Gilbert, Arrighetti be enough to bring in Cease and Graveman?