1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ausar Vs. Amen Thompson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, May 26, 2023.

?

Who will be the better pro?

1. Ausar

40 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Amen

142 vote(s)
    78.0%
  1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Thompson twins are a bit different in that scouting reports more or less recognize them as extremely dedicated students of basketball, and are practically savants of the game. If they were displayed to be of lower IQ, it's almost a certainty they drop below 5th pick.

With that said, the Thompson Twins are unicorns themselves, the league/media is just picky about who to call a unicorn. Practically all scouting reports compare Amen to Ja Morant or John Wall, but Amen is much bigger and longer than either of these two guys yet these two players were considered the best players of their draft and picked at 1st and 2nd pick. If NBA teams believe 6 ft 3 John wall or 6 ft 2 Ja Morant is worth a 1st and 2nd pick selection, what does that say about a guy who is compared to them, but is 6 ft 7?

2. kpdark

kpdark Member

definitely mind blowing if put in that perspective

at times I think we lucked out not being in the top 2-3 picks

vince, Arnel, BaselineFade and 2 others like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah but what I'm saying is what sold people on the Twins is their combination of size length athleticism and not really the OTE, in Fact I think the OTE hurt their stock which is what happens when you're the oldest guys in your league.

4 and 5 star recruits aren't anything special imo. I dunno what kind of stars the Twins had but the Scoot and Wemby were the only prospects in this class people knew 6 mos before the draft.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Playing in the OTE is what hurt their stock, like you said if the intangibles weren't there they would be like GG Jackson imo.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Playing in the OTE probably didn't hurt as much as their jump shots. Everyone acknowledged Amen's playmaking abilities as a huge selling point, but it's hard to not have a huge question mark on shooting for a PG

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Nook, where would the twins have gone in recent drafts?

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

My guess because of the OTE uncertainty he would have gone somewhere around where Sharpe went last year as Shapre had similar uncertainty concerns and the year prior somewhere around where Giddey went.

But in reality he's another level of talent ahead of Sharpe because he's a more effective athlete with far better playmaking and ball skills.

If OTE wasn't a factor he probably goes top 3-4 in the past few drafts.

Icehouse likes this.
  8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

One thing to keep in mind is that Amen and Ausar were not highly ranked coming out of HS (4 star recruits IIRC). And even as recent as a year ago (or so), I think a lot of mock draft people had them mid-to-late lottery:

Spins had them 12 and 13 in this one.

OTE has its issues, but it does seem these kids benefited in some way by going to OTE. For sure some of their improvement is based on the Thompsons themselves (with their ambition, they would have gotten better even if I trained them). But I think a lot of this could possibly be attributed to OTE as well. There's a reason they seem much better making reads, handling defensive rotations, have NBA-ready bodies, etc. Think they even improved their interview skills thanks to OTE. The competition is what it is (though I don't think it is as bad as many make it out to be), but I think overall, the OTE experience was probably a good thing for them.

In comparison, I don't think the Ignite are really helping out their prospects much. Guys like Scoot and JG were already highly touted (and that didn't really change), and a lot of other guys who went there ended up not really improving their stock (e.g., Nix, Leonard Miller, Sidy Cissoko). I'd probably put OTE on par with the Ignite at this point, though both could use a lot of work.

#168 RC Cola, Jul 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

What is OTE?

10. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Overtime Elite

HP3 likes this.
  11. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Agree generally. Empirically, prospects generally leave OTE as better players. Arm chair GM's can say what they feel about competition level blah blah blah, but that has never been the main factor in improvement of young players anyway. There's a reason players generally improve in the off season, even at the NBA level, and rarely during the regular season.

apollo33 likes this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I also think "level of competition" is overrated in terms of actually improving a player. NCAA level of competition makes it easier to scout players, but I'm not sure if it really does all that in terms of improving a player unless they stay within a good program for 2-3 years.

As you said, drills and workouts in the offseason is typically when a player make the most improvement. So you could do that anywhere if you have the right trainer, whether it's college, OTE, Europe, Australia etc.

I am leaning that basketball IQ, vision, passing are more or less god given. People made this argument that Amen's passing would not translate to the NBA, which doesn't make any sense. It doesn't matter whether it's pickup ball or the NBA, the right pass is the right pass. I don't think I know any player that have great court vision in lower level competition suddenly lose it in the NBA.

13. Dredd

Dredd Member

Fixed it for you.

Arnel likes this.
  14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Incredible defensive discipline at 0:34, guarding 2 guys off the ball and consistently looking at what both of them are doing, whilst also watching the ball handler to anticipate the pass.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You gave me back way more than I deserved. I was just joking around sir.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

My bad! I read things too seriously/literally.

17. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

And it took him one summer league game vs two NBA seasons. Crazy, right?

18. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

Astros713 and clos4life like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's nice to have a rookie exceeding expectations for a change

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

lol this fooking guy ^

i3artow i3aller and Astros713 like this.