1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Draft Pick Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 11, 2023.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The 11th and 12th Rd Picks I wanted the Astros to sign, Great job by the Astros

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

His Delivery doesn't impress me. Another Tall Injury Prone Pitcher.

Bad Back is Tredwell main issue.

Mark Appel, Forrest Whitley, Jason Hirsh Tall Pitchers bad mechanics and Injury Prone

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That's why you draft a flier at the end like we did in the 19th. Gives you some leverage to say I'm giving the money to this guy is you don't take the deal. With the fact that they are signed, I think they wouldn't need any savings on Tredwell.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Based on the amounts already reported, Ochoa’s overage has to come from amounts under slot from Tredwell, Bloss, Pecko, Johnson, and Deming. I would be pretty surprised if they can get enough without Tredwell signing significantly under slot. But you are right that the fact that Ochoa has already signed makes it very likely they have it all worked out. Maybe Bloss signed for nearly nothing and all Ochoa wanted was $600k.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

So that’s $300k underslot. Really wondering what Ochoa’s bonus was.

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think pitching must be the priority.

A team can get by with 11 or 12 position players if it has to, but can not win over 162 games without all 13 pitchers, and must have 8-9 healthy, fresh, and above average pitchers to win in the playoffs.

I would say this team has 10 (healthy) MLB level pitchers, 7 are above average, and none are fresh.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Best case scenario, although totally unlikely:

-Ochoa only wanted <$700k, Pecko and Johnson signed for near nothing, so the savings from Pecko, Johnson, and Bloss covered Ochoa

-Bush and all the other unsigned rd 11-20 picks except Duncan are cool with <$200k

-Duncan has indicated a willingness to sign for less than originally expected, so Houston is trying to negotiate with Tredwell (and Deming) to find enough to cover Duncan

If that all were to happen my assessment would be that Houston came out of this draft with 2 2nd round talents (Matthews, Tredwell), 4 3rd round talents (Jaworksky, Ochoa, Huezo, and Duncan), and 3 4th round talents (Bloss, Fisher, Bush). Effectively trading a late first for a 2nd, 3 3rds, and 2 4ths is a great move in this draft.

9. Nook

Nook Member

The GM really likes him.

Also, contrary to what the tweet said, the GM and Scouting Director both believe that he can stay at SS.

So, he is the rare player with a high floor and ceiling.

They are confident his glove will be good, and he will stay at a demanding position - and will make solid contact - but has the upside of driving the ball....

When it comes to prep school players - Brown has an excellent track record, and Gross (scouting director) has a solid track record at this point.

10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Jaworsky is my favorite position player taken in this draft. He does have a very high ceiling but I do not even talk about a floor on an 18 year old till they get to full season ball. At this point all I can say is I am very hopeful about him. I would not be surprised to see him start in the Florida complex and he is pretty young even for that.

Nook likes this.
  11. Marteen

Marteen Member

12. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Alonzo Tredwell for $1,497,500. sounds a little high to me, They must have saved more than i guessed on the still undisclosed bonuses.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Why do you believe that Brown is the only GM interested in Jaworsky

14. Nook

Nook Member

Why do you believe that Brown is the only GM interested in Jaworsky
    I am actually surprised it took that much to get Huezo. He REALLY wanted to go pro.

I am not really high on Huezo, but he is a real battler and has been basically focused on baseball since he could walk - so maybe he does better than I expected. Also - I am not in the same stratosphere as Dana Brown as a scout, if he likes him, I will trust him.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wow. He better be good.

prospecthugger likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Someone in the organization really likes him.

His performance hasn't matched his draft position, but on the pitching side there are obviously some that see something special.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Astros really haven't taken the screws to their draft picks like in the past. I get that it engenders good will - keeps players worrying about about money while playing.

Still, I am not sure which is the better strategy. Some draft picks you really can hammer because they want to sign or have to sign.

prospecthugger likes this.
  18. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I don’t believe Brown is the only GM that has interest in Jaworsky. But if Dana believed in the kid that’s not anywhere near top 200 prospects in the draft (going to Utah Valley), drafted him in 5th rd and gave him 490k over the slot, I’m just gonna have to trust Dana on this. I do like what you said about Jaworsky.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

To justify that bonus Tredwell should be at worst the 2nd best pitching prospect in the system after Arrighetti and possibly the top pitching prospect in the system.

Bregatron, No Worries and BlindHog like this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Tredwell told the Astros that he would only sign if he got paid overslot?