1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NBA Draft/1-20] Cam Whitmore, F, Villanova

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2023.

Tags:
?

Do you like the selection of Cam Whitmore?

This poll will close on Jun 21, 2024 at 9:15 PM.
  1. YES

98.0%
  2. NO

2.0%
  1. Caesar

Caesar Member

G-League will still have better overall talent than college or summer league, but does it matter? My overall opinion on the system helping players become better is meh? I feel like it just helps players stay in shape vs riding the bench, but get better? Highly debatable. It's debatable if being on an NBA franchise bench watching up close and personal every situation play out in real time and practicing and training every day with and against real NBA players with pro coaches isn't the better development strategy.

When you look at teams known for development like the Spurs, how many of those Spurs players people think of actually got sent to the d-league/g-league? I think only 2nd year Kawhi coming off his knee tendonitis was sent down to get back into shape before a quick call back to the starting lineup. I recall something like that being done on multiple occasions, but to get better? How many end of bench fringe players put up monster stats in the g-league and how many of them develop into key role players, starters or even stars?

Two Sandwiches and Easy like this.
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

The interesting nugget isn't that the Jazz passed on Whitmore, but that they had Taylor Hendricks 9th out of 9 players. That actually shows how teams are weirdly in sync with regards to the top pick of this draft that Utah didn't get any of their top 8 to drop to 9th.

3. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

If Cam gets meaningful minutes this season he's going to have to stick to his bread and butter in order to be effective, the way KMJ did. Strong cuts, transition buckets by playing good defense and open shots created by others. He's not ready to be "that guy" yet and the Rockets don't need him to be.

People are already saying he's better than Green and KPJ when he needs to first prove he can be just as effective as KMJ was. Jabari, Sengun, Green and others will be a problem this season so he'd get plenty of open looks.

For Cam, less will be more. He needs to not try to do too much on offense and be the dog he is on defense. He's one of the most exciting and athletic players on the team but that doesn't make him better. However, the fact he's a potential franchise player when he was drafted at #20 makes the Rockets future extremely bright.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

In a way he can instantly be an upgrade over KMJ. He probably is stronger, not as high of a leaper but still a high leaper and has better ball skills than KMJ to where he can be a tertiary creator which KMJ couldn't do at all while having the better jump shot. Whitmore can also be a lot more dynamic on cuts than KMJ. As in he can, cut catch the ball and do some type of eurostep or some other creative move that KMJ couldn't.

Little Bit and BigShasta like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Boxing out is a forgotten fundamental. I use to get so frustrated watching players not block any one out and when they did do it improperly. Everyone thinks they can just jump higher and get the rebound, if they boxed out they would get even more rebounds. Hopefully, Ime's crew enforces the requirement and ensures our guys BLOCK someone OUT! :mad::)

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Who would have thought the Rockets could be a championship contender so soon?

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Cam has a bunch of NBA GM's wondering if they made a mistake. Well done young man, now let's beat the Cavs and win the SL Title. Small wins are part of turning this thing around.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Finals MVP and Franchise player.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Robert Williams boxes out and gets in good position so hopefully that’s an indicator

Shark44 likes this.
  12. NewAge

NewAge Member

WoW! If I am not mistaken none of our other SL legends ever got an MVP: Dan Langhi, Donte Green, JLIII...

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Don't be a Donte Greene and all is good.
    Or be a Donte Greene and fetch us a hof'er.

AroundTheWorld and BigShasta like this.
  14. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Why are the Rockets showcasing Cam? All first rounders have pretty much been shut down.

15. marinara

marinara Member

Because his incredibly raw.

apollo33 likes this.
  16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Cam is pretty great project with all the physical tools plus good shooting and NBA body. I hope we don't f up his development

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Tbh nobody gives a flying **** what Utah excuse is.

Drift Monkey and BigShasta like this.
  18. marinara

marinara Member

I just hope people don't get down on him if he doesn't get minutes right away.

I don't think the bully ball willl be as effective with proper NBA bodies, I think they should give him some time in the G-League and just get him to work on his handle.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

@J.R. post summer league MVP from every year so we can overthink what this means for the Rockets future!

BigShasta likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member