1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who’s Our Backup PF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jul 15, 2023.

1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Darius Days as a stretch 4?

2. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Jock will be the primary backup to Alpi, not Jabari.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Real Rockets fans know it’s Mike Harris.

Maciej Lampe

Pops Mensah-Bonsu

Clarence Weatherspoon

Terrence Jones

Charles Oakley

Matt Bullard

Lonny Baxter

Brian Cook

Stromile Swift

Torraye Braggs

Othella Harrington

Vin Baker

Kenny Thomas

Scott Padgett

Jeff Adrien

Juwan Howard

Jared Jeffries

Steve Novak

Patrick Patterson

Maurice Taylor

4. MultipleSauces

flyin Ryan Bowen

Nook and J.R. like this.
  5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

It’s called “small ball” and absolutely sucks!!! Fails each and everry time because your Tari Easons can’t rebound over your Joel Embids. Not a very difficult concept, but yet many on this board don’t get it. Why not just play FVV at small or power forward and start Amen at point guard is what people wonder….answer is he’s too short and will get severely outrebounded. Same goes for Eason at PF or Center. Also, who starts when Jabrari gets injured? Need a backup big man or we won’t be able to effectively rebound the basketball!!!

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Didn't almost 40 year old Jeff Gree just win an NBA ring as a bench 4?

I may have been watching the wrong Rockets games, but I also believe too small Tate was ahead of short -fat-ground-bound Garuba on the depth chart. No matter how you spin it....

Are you going to be surprised when OKC cuts Garuba and he is out of the NBA? They have 17 guaranteed contracts, someone is getting cut

7. invocux

invocux Member

I'd keep Nix around just to play him at 4 in blowout games for fun.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Tari will probably be the back up 4 and back up 3 which will allow him to play nearly starter minutes off the bench. KPJ will probably play starter minutes by doing the same thing with being the backup for pg, SG and Sf occasionally.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think we're pretty close to agreeing. I see Cam as an almost perfect fit for the modern day "wing" definition. While his wingspan is not ideal, he makes up for it with quickness, hustle and instinct. At 19, he could grow a bit more and will also continue to fill out, so I think he can float between 2/3. At the combine Amen and Whit both measured in at 6'5" 3/4 barefoot, but Thompson's crazy 7' wingspan makes Cam's 6'8" wingspan look below average in comparison.

I do see some "Ant-lite" in his game and I'm not as worried about his passing/playmaking skills as I was with JC. His big advantage is coming to a team with what appears to be a really good coaching staff, that will help him develop the right way.

At some point in the future we could have Amen at 1, Green at 2 and Whitmore at 3--that's a super dynamic threesome that should torch almost any lineup. If you play small ball with Bari at 5 and Tari at 4, that would be really fun to watch. I'm getting really excited about this team, especially with Sengun growing to 6'11" barefoot and probably unleashing a better 3-ball this year, I think we're going to surprise some people.

Rashmon likes this.
  10. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I expect the minutes to look something like this to start the season, with a 9-man rotation.

C: Sengun (30) | Landale (12) | Jabari (6)
    PF: Jabari (26) | Eason (12) | Tate (10)
    SF: Brooks (24) | Eason (12) | Green (6) | Tate (6)
    SG: J.Green (28) | KPJ (16) | Amen (4)
    PG: FVV (32) | Amen (12) | KPJ (4)

Green - 34 min
    Jabari 34 min
    FVV - 32 min
    Sengun - 30 min
    Eason - 24 min
    Brooks - 24 min
    KPJ - 20 min
    Amen - 16 min
    Tate - 16 min
    Landale - 12 min

Jeff Green could take Landale's PT, and Whitmore could eat into Tate's. I hope Cam gets a fair shot but I'd be surprised if he was in the rotation to start.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It’s Tari dude! Alpi and Jock might also see limited minutes together

Ankara1923 likes this.
  12. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

Pretty sure it’s going to be Tari, even though I preferred him to start at SF this year

13. marinara

marinara Member

How is he small for the 3 when his 6'6 bare foot ?

Nook likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Well, I don’t think he is 6’6” bare footed, because Amen Thompson is 6’5.5” and is clearly taller when they are next to each other.

Also, even if he is 6’6”, he is small for a SF, especially with a 6’8” wingspan. Can he do it? Sure against a lot of 3’s - but his measurements are more impressive as a SG and I think his game is better suited for a SG. However it doesn’t mean as much as the Rockets will just run 3-4 guards at times.

Look at Tari Eason for example, he is 6’8” without shoes, but more importantly has a 7’2” wingspan and a 9 foot standing reach.

We are seeing a lot of 3’s or wings that are really long.

mikenm268 likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Guys, we have official barefoot pre-draft measurements for all these players (with their hair pushed down, Amen has a fro)

barefoot
    Amen - 6'5.75, 214, 7'0 wingspan
    Cam - 6'5.75, 235, 6'8.5 wingspan
    Tari - 6'6.75, 217, 7'2 wingspan

I know Cam has a shorter wingspan than what you'd want... but at a hair under 6'6 barefoot with a 235 pound (19 year old) frame, with his vertical athleticism, undersized doesn't come to mind when I think of Cam at SF, you can't underestimate weight, nobody in the league would call prime PJ Tucker undersized at SF.

You have to remember when comparing historical sizes to those measurements, players have always been measured in shoes, the shoes always add 0.5 - 1 inch in height, and the NBA has always rounded up for players measured at half inches.

in shoes
    Amen at 6'7 214
    Cam at 6'7 235
    Tari at 6'8 217

Good sizes for small forwards, elite for guards, and mediocre for power forwards.

Space City and marinara like this.
  16. marinara

marinara Member

I found for Cam online, 6,575 without shoes & 6,875.

I means its not amazing but his got a already good sized body for the NBA and will only get stronger.

He also seems like he rebounds really well from SL thats why I think he'd be fine at the 3.

17. marinara

marinara Member

I honestly think the afro v braids make people think Amen is taller than Cam.

18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I was with you until Chuck Spoon... one of my fav Rockets
    Also Othella!?! Hoya Saxa!!!

J.R. likes this.
  19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

In a lot of lineups with Thompson, Thompson can guard the best perimeter option with green and Whitmore taking the others.

2025-2026

Sengun
    Smith
    Whitmore
    Green
    Amen

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Tari is backup 4 and backup 3 unless Bari or Brooks falter, in which case Tari should be starting at either position. If Tari isn’t starting he should get all the backup minutes at the 3&4. I still think let the best man win in camp.

#40 Aruba77, Jul 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2023