1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

______________ Is Our Franchise Player (POLL)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, Jul 14, 2023.

?

Franchise Player?

1. Fred VanVleet

3.7%
  2. Jalen Green

25.6%
  3. Alperen Şengün

20.5%
  4. Amen Thompson

11.9%
  5. Jabari Smith Jr.

12.3%
  6. Tari Eason

1.8%
  7. Cam Whitmore

2.7%
  8. Trevor Hudgins

5.0%
  9. OTHER (Please Specify)

1.8%
  10. No Franchise Player on Roster

14.6%
  1. Know Your Role

2. Ancient Moabite

The Rockets have so many shiny new toys that they are all franchise players (child's favorite)

3. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Franchise players drive team wins, playoff berths and make all-star games. This is one of the seasons these young guys make their bones and start making their cases based on team success.

Your team starts winning, and money, accolades, and success begin taking care of themselves.

4. Ancient Moabite

And they all have to take their lumps, players like KD and many others took their lumps first two or so seasons and KD and many others were day one franchise caliber players that eventually led to what you mentioned

Phase two will showcase who is the Rockets franchise player(s), right now by default the highest paid player usually carries that torch, so two years from now someone or some two will emerge and take the bull by its horn or flop, but out of the talented first round picks at least one will emerge as that status right after VV team option is declined

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would say this is a make it or break it year if they want to become superstars, specifically Sengun and Green as this is their third year. If they don't make any jumps this year it doesn't rule them out from being future stars but usually by end of three years of experience you kinda can be certain if a player will be a superstar or not.

If they can't start impacting wins in a meaningful way this year then they probably aren't franchise players. Maybe good second options.

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Too many what ifs on this team. If Jabari keeps up what he did in Summer league.. welp.. that's a 6'11 guy who can rain 3's all day. Then if Amen can fix his shot then he's another franchise player. Jalen Green is the one that seems replaceable now that we drafted Whitmore. Both of their strong points are scoring. Whitmore is just taller. Alp is an anomaly. His court vision mixed with height is insane. His BB IQ is through the rough. To me, the trio of ALP, Jabari and Amen are going to compete for the label of franchise player.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

8. Ancient Moabite

Indeed, I usually give all players a 4 year span, but by year 3 a all star-esque leap is what they usually showcase, especially for young developing players thrown into the deep end ocean as teenagers

Futron and 34to11 like this.
  9. fchowd0311

This is just wrong. Whitmore has no where near the ball skills of Green. And the only athletic trait of his that he will be better in is strength. Otherwise he's a much more prolific athlete in all the areas that create elite dribble seperation. Whitmore if he starts right now would be like young Jaylen Brown who also had little ball skills entering the league where he averages more turnovers than assists.

There are theirs of tunnel vision. There is the Devin Booker, Ant Edwards and Green level of tunnel vision. And then there is the Jaylen Brown, Cam Whitmore level of tunnel vision and less ball handling skills.

Futron and 34to11 like this.
  10. 34to11

34to11 Member

Context.

11. 34to11

34to11 Member

No, it's not.

The objective was to stockpile as much high potential talent as possible during the 3 years Houston still had control of it's draft.
    Without those three "ugly" years you don't have the promising roster you do now.

As desperately as some people want to dump on Silas, the immutable fact is none of this was by accident.

Futron likes this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think this answers a lot of our questions

Futron and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  13. fchowd0311

One person's opinion?

harold bingo likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

The worst scoring efficiencies in the NBA. And amongst the worst Jabari has the worst excuse since out of this group, Jabari has the smallest percentage of self created buckets. As in out of this group he had the easiest shot selection.

15. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

This is an excellent, well-thought-out breakdown. I would change a few things and think differently on a few points, but looking at pure upside, I can definitely understand the perspective.

I also look at who provides the most impact on winning and agree Tari would be way up there, so to me, that is what truly matters at the end of the day, and I would actually emphasize his development as much or higher than others as well. But this was a very good analysis.

16. fchowd0311

Impact is hard to judge. On/off numbers the make people think Tari "impacts" more than someone like Green is skewed by the fact that Tari plays a lot more against opposing bench units and Green is playing against mostly opposing starting units.

Green is mimicking the rotation patterns of guys like Luka, Shai, Booker, Lebron etc.

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I found his opinion to be close in parallel to mine, thats why I posted it. Not only that but it was well thought out with the analysis of each player.

I thought Green would have been higher but when you think about it, 2-way players tend to have more of an effect on the game and Jalen hasn't shown that as of yet. Same for Sengun.

#77 hlmbasketball, Jul 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2023
    Futron likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

2 way player implies elite offensive creator and elite defender.

Good role player on offense and elite defender isn't a two way player. That's a great role player/all-star

Again, what is the ONE common denominator of every superstar? Elite self creation and I honestly can't find an exception to this.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Jabari Smith

BamBam likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

"what have you done for me lately" is really winning through with some posters. Jabari recently played summer league games and recently put up numbers against make shift defenses that were assembled a week ago and have zero team defense cohesion.

Summer league defense is probably the worst defense you will ever see in a professional basketball setting because of the nature of the roster being built the week of and there is zero unit cohesion.

It's why Chet every time he rolled to the rim, 6'5" guards switched on to him because again, summer league defenses absolutely are gutter trash.