1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. s3ts

s3ts Member

The amount of hate that GSW team and fanbase has against Dillon Brooks got me scared about watching the games.

GSW media darling gets to clown the Rockets even more if Dillon doesn’t learn to control his mouth or just simply play better than GSW.

Dillon Brooks is a decent player, maybe the contract is not terrible, but that’s mot what I will be thinking about when I watch the season. All I care about is can we beat GSW. Can we put up a fight against LAL. I don’t even care about a top 3 seed, I just want to make sure we can beat these other teams that hate Dillon Brooks.

Otherwise its all just ammo for the media to clown the Rockets and it’ll drive me ****ing nuts.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

God forbid Brooks take away shots from any other capable shooter on this team! :rolleyes: FVV gets paid twice as much and his only redeeming quality as a shooter is on C&S 3's! Where is the outrage? In the end the guys who were signed were the guys whom Udoka wanted, but also guys who were ok playing here and who's sole motivation was the money. Some fans havent made peace with that yet. When the ROX were rumored to be interested in every FA out there most fans were cool with paying up "gotta reach that salary floor" and all that good stuff, but now we're dumb because of Brooks and some 2nd round picks. LOL I think that a natural hierarchy will develop on the court when players show everyone they can hit shots in games. Im looking dead at Jabari, Sengun and Jalen. If they dont naturally get better this season then why keep force feeding them? If we suck at shooting again this year as a team with the "pure" PG and the new coach then we busted on our draft picks and this thing will take a decade to fix. Brooks taking 13 shots a game will be the least of our worries.

3. kpdark

kpdark Member

the more the hate the better ain't it...

truth is, the reason i'd want the Brooks signing is to faaaaaact wwwith the californication teams ... facccccitttt ... admit felas, our young players are tooo skiinny to bang with lbj or any superfukinstar... we need Brooks to body 'em up MFkrssssssssssss

4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Dillon Brooks contract looks even Worse knowing the Flopping Rules exist now.

Rockets didn't need Dillon Brooks at all, Ime Udoka did, this Contract is on Ime along with FVV.

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

My issue with the Dillon Brooks contract is that we are entering the season with an overabundance of young talent and IMO zero hopes of getting even to the play-in. In addition to punting the season already from both a wins and draft pick perspective, we are now in the position of having a player like Brooks adding further to our glut at 3. It would be one thing if his contract is for 1-2 years or he was brought in as a short term starter and will shift over as a bench mentor to Eason and Cam. I also don't like the "culture" he helped foster in Memphis where they ultimately ended up with a bunch of cocky, mouthy young players including his own. To top it all off, he fled from the media with his tail between his legs when getting spanked by the Lakers.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I guess it must be news to you. Brooks has the WORST TS% among ALL the players on our team who have played in the NBA.

Brooks is not a terrible shooter. But he is a terrible decision maker when it comes to shooting. If he can be reined in, he'll be a good role player. If he refuses, then all hell breaks lose.

BTW, you keep bringing up FVV's contract and never really admit the length of the contract is more important for our situation. I guess it just doesn't fit your narrative.

BamBam likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If only the other terrible shooters on the team would commit to playing defense in a similar fashion to Brooks then maybe things wouldnt look as abysmal as they do. I'll be stoked to watch a guy out there who actually has passion for the chore and wont be a stepstool for superstars. Hopefully these soft ass youngsters will learn something about heart if nothing else. You can clown Brooks all you want, but one thing you cant question is his impact on defense and the little things he does to help a team.

One extra year on a contract is meaningless when it lines up with rookie contract extensions.

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

ZERO HOPES?!

You’re in for a pleasant surprise this season.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Are you drunk??

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Will be interesting to see how much defensive value he actually ends up bringing when he’s not playing on a team that is pretty strong defensively, without a DPOY level center there to make everyone look better.

Defensive metrics are defensive metrics. Varying levels of stock are put into them, generally depending on whether those metrics align or not with preconceived notions of that players defensive ability.

As far as I can see the defensive metrics aren’t identifying him as the high impact defender that he’s been billed to be. Many of the numbers pointing to him being pretty average.

I have zero faith in him being even a neutral offensive player so a lot is riding on his defensive ability.

11. sheb

sheb Member

This contract tells me we are 3-4 years away from being relevant. The worst thing we can do is go back to the days where we hover at 45/46 wins and eek into the playoffs only to lose in round 1.

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That would be nice! Right now, I am just super skeptical of a team being led by FVV and DB.

Kevooooo likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Vleet for 1 or 2 years I am halfaway okay with, 27-28 yr old Brooks has never led anything, just another 4th option.

Hopefully Rockets brass do not fall for his antics.

As long as folks know why they were overpaid and reduce their minutes.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Brooks is a risky luxury for that kind of money, could have paid 12-15 mill for a younger defender.

The young guys already play with a chip on their shoulder......

They would need someone like Dikembe Mutombo who could be the protecting tree and someone who can behave himself outside of his elbows.

Easy likes this.
  15. s3ts

s3ts Member

He can body people, but he talk too much nonsense and get people to hate him.

And no, there are definitely Grizz fans who wanted him gone because his shooting was bad, came with too much talk, and the trash talk ended up backfiring. Its to the point where they had to trade him, I think that’s crazy.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Did they trade him? I thought they just told him we don't want you back? I think the S&T was requested by us.

DD

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I hope our bark is not worse then our bite. If Udoka can turn us into a team that - as a team - annoys everyone defensively that's a good sign.

Most of Brooks' job every night will be to deny and suffocate the opponents best wing player as much as possible. If he increases his catch and shoot 3's while improving his overall shot selection, we're good.

FVV will be doing the same at the guard position. Those are the two most common ways teams initiate their offense and we have a couple of dogs hounding them from start to finish. That's going to make things a LOT easier on everyone else, even the rim protector. We were the worst at doing this stuff the past two seasons and teams were routinely getting their favorite shots.

Green will be chasing the opponents least offensively gifted 1/2/3. Generally someone who cannot both shoot and drive so the assignment is easier. All we need is 100% effort and gradual improvement from him on this end.

Jabari is also going to pick up the more perimeter oriented of the 4/5 leaving Sengun to do drop coverage more often and not get pulled out to perimeter easily or at worst guarding a slow footed corner shooter.

We have Eason, Amen, Tate, Landale and hopefully a defensively motivated KPJ off the bench.

We could be a surprisingly good defensive team as long as it doesn't take them half a season to learn the defensive strategy.

That's one thing we had to urgently get in order - yes before we even fix our shooting. Hopefully one day we can upgrade from a Dillon Brooks to an OG. Similar level defense with much better shooting thus better spacing.

18. s3ts

s3ts Member

Thats the same thing as trading him. I imagine we get bird rights to give him the money he wants?

If your own team ends up giving up on you, thats the same as a trade in my book. At the end of the day, they don’t want you back.

I take it the same way as a firing, and those usually come with some red flags.

19. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Who?

20. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Grant Williams got 4/53 while being 3 years younger than Brooks, coming into RFA, Stone easily could have thrown 4/60 at Boston and dared them to match, same thing for Austin Reeves.

BaselineFade likes this.