1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Ridley Scott’s “Napoleon”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hitler was great for Napoleon's rep.

In the 19th Century he was a contender for history's greatest villain (or, conversely, hero) in some circles until Hitler and Lenin came along and said, "Hold my beer."

There used to be a lot of people who had very strong opinions on the guy. Not so much any longer.

B-Bob and Jontro like this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

IIRC people thought Napoleon was the antichrist.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also, if anybody really wants to set the stage, highly recommend season 3 of the "Revolutions" podcast on the French Revolution. No Nappy Bones except as a reaction To The Committee of Public Safety.

MadMax and BigM like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

I have no idea what this is, but it's weird

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I give Ridley Scott major props. Directing this sort of epic would have exhausted a man half his age; he's well into his 80s.

GRENDEL and Invisible Fan like this.
  6. conquistador#11

No Xenomorphs but I will watch.

donkeypunch likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Bill & Ted reference.

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On the one hand I’m very interested because this is my field. On the other hand Ridley will likely butcher the history so I’m skeptical. The French Revolutions are such rich material for movies I wish there were more. I’d love to see a well done Revolution of 1830 movie.

Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

Xerobull likes this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

Trailer looks good, but actors uses a British accent instead of French. Napolean of the U.K.

[​IMG]

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1830 and not 1848?

As for this movie, I think it'd be weird watching a movie set in the not so distant french past that's in English. I'd be excited for French actors and French locations.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is Patrick Stewart in this?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

If the mini-series of Chernobyl on HBO can prove to be great with British accents, I believe this can be as well.

14. rimbaud

Supporting Member

1848 was obviously more important for history but I think 1830 would be more cinematic in the details. More battles, dueling monarch villains, a stupid Bonaparte, etc.
    The movie/revolution would have a cynical ending but perhaps lightened by an 1848 epilogue voiceover or something.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I feel you. Now, though, I'm thinking about 1870. An aging Napoleon III, coming off an embarrassing defeat in Mexico, getting outmaneuvered and captured by Bismarck, and the rise and fall of the Paris Commune. I mean, it'd probably be better as a movie about Bismarck, but there is something poetic about what a disaster that Nappy 3 was.

16. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Yeah I almost suggested that, too. The mess of the Franco-Prussian war into the Commune would be intense. But I don’t know how much sympathy modern viewers would have for the communards when all their efforts get brutally put down.

B-Bob likes this.
  17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

2nd trailer is out.....

K mf G and ROCKSS like this.
  18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I`m in, I have become a huge JP fan over the years so for that alone I will watch it

GRENDEL likes this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm glad this movie will exist and with some production value, but I'm already a little disappointed at the casting. I think Napoleon's story provides a great opportunity for a relatively new face from the deep pool of acting talent available.

J Phoenix gets so many parts, but he's always in a certain range of creepy/crazy/brooding/intense.

So... only one of those facets would be relevant to the historical Napoleon, as far as I understand him. As you say, energy and charisma (and persuasive power, controlling a room or crowd)? Eh, Phoenix is probably the last guy I would cast for that. Oh well.

I get why directors like their go-to actors after previous good experiences, but damn, stretch yerselves a little more.

Even moar grumpy edit: Kinda hating the weird orchestral repurposing of a Black Sabbath classic in the new trailer. Boo.

rimrocker likes this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

Don't know much about Napoleon, but JP looked and came across as interesting in the trailer. I'm still in.