1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul traded to Warriors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2023.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chris Paul's new book is out

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/06/books/review/sixty-one-chris-paul.html?searchResultPosition=1

Chris Paul Knows All About the Cycle of Life
    For the veteran N.B.A. point guard, publication month was a bittersweet mash-up of change, celebration and family.
    By Elisabeth Egan
    July 6, 2023, 5:00 a.m. ET

Chris Paul has had an eventful few weeks.

On Father’s Day, the 38-year-old basketball player was on a plane when he received a text from his 14-year-old son, informing him that he had been traded by the Phoenix Suns. On June 20, his book “Sixty-One: Life Lessons From Papa, On and Off the Court” came out. And then, the celebrated point guard said in a phone interview, “When we got to North Carolina on the book tour, we had the funeral for my great-grandmother. She was 95 years old when she passed. Her name was Mabel Hauser.”

Loss is a theme in “Sixty-One,” which explores the legacy of Paul’s grandfather Nathaniel Frederick Jones — known as Papa Chilly — who was murdered the day after his 17-year-old grandson signed on to play basketball for Wake Forest University. Jones was 61 years old. “Papa was the rock of our entire family,” Paul writes. “He was the rock of the community. He was my best friend in the world.”

In “Sixty-One,” which debuted at No. 5 on the hardcover nonfiction list, Paul recalls a poignant moment at his grandfather’s funeral. While the choir was singing “My Soul Has Been Anchored,” his mother stood up, “kind of hunched over and shaky,” he writes. “I was stuck, we all were stuck, as she stood alone, with the weight of the world on her shoulders, in pain, but leaning on her faith enough to push forward. She stretched her arms out, looking up as if she just wanted to hug her mom and dad one last time.”

Like most of us, Paul is not a fan of funerals. But he said, of the celebration of his great-grandmother’s life, “To sit next to my son, and to feel all these same emotions that I wrote about in the book, and to get a chance to see my son feel these emotions at the age of 14. It’s crazy how life happens.”

Paul visited with family he hadn’t seen in more than a decade, and then continued on to the next stop on his tour. He said, “What we get the opportunity to do with books is talk to other people and show them that we’re all dealing with things. What you learn is that you’re present in the situation you’re in.”

As for what he hopes readers will take away from “Sixty-One,” Paul said, “People grieve in different ways. It’s not one week, it’s not one year or five years. It’s not on a timetable. When you lose someone that close to you, even though you lose them physically, they’re still with you emotionally in everything that you do.”

Elisabeth Egan is an editor at the Book Review and the author of “A Window Opens.”
    A version of this article appears in print on July 16, 2023, Page 24 of the Sunday Book Review.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  3. i3artow i3aller

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wow, they want Steph Curry to compete for the 6th Man of the Year award against Kevin Porter Jr. This is gonna be an interesting season!

roslolian, B-Bob and s3ts like this.
  5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

just not fair. just not fair.

B-Bob and Easy like this.
  6. s3ts

s3ts Member

Really hoping this is the season it blows up in their face. Next season already has some potential for that with Klay becoming UFA.

Futron, B-Bob and Easy like this.
  7. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Paul is probably going to anchor their second unit and play 25-30 MPG during the regular season to reduce his injury risk. The Warriors' starting lineup actually had the best net rating in the league...but their bench was pure trash and Poole was a big part of that. Having Paul to run a better second unit (adding Saric was an underrated get, too) actually could make them title contenders. If their starting five is anywhere near as good this season as last, all they need is to have a competent bench and Paul could help them get there.

I'd start off with Denver as the favorite, obviously, but if Paul is going to be running their second unit and the experiment works, I think the Warriors could be a title contender. Of course, Paul (or Curry or both) could get hurt and wipe their season.

BigShasta likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

CP3 a Worrier.

That sunk in.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He will, he is a rascal of that sorts. Curry is throwing Curry instead of soups, but I think it will be more playful.

Easy likes this.
  10. i3artow i3aller

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've honestly been assuming they're going to run CP3/Steph/Klay out there as starters. The defense will be atrocious, but it makes sense on offense at least. Curry has always been more of an undersized shooting guard.

BigShasta likes this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

It would be weird to see Chris Paul off the bench. He's been a starter his whole career. May happen I suppose.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is also weird that he is going ripe 40.

15. i3artow i3aller

Stay Safe Chris

J.R. likes this.
  16. i3artow i3aller

17. i3artow i3aller

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I see the days of Draymond Green being the most annoying player in the NBA are coming to a continuation.

Entropy, OremLK and i3artow i3aller like this.
  19. i3artow i3aller

I'd expect nothing less from the donkey that released a doc of knocking out their own teammate.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

All this "amongst men" sh*t makes me laugh so hard

[​IMG]