1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael "the Animal" Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamCassell, Jul 26, 2001.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

WASHINGTON -- The Washington Wizards on Wednesday waived forward Michael Smith, exercising a buyout option that will save the team $2.15 million under the salary cap.

Smith, a seven-year veteran, was due to make $2.4 million next season, but the Wizards had a buyout option for $250,000.

The 6-8 Smith spent the last two seasons with the Wizards, averaging 4.7 points and 7.1 rebounds in 125 games. However, the Wizards are undergoing a massive rebuilding and Smith was not part of those plans.

Smith is a power forward, the same position played by Kwame Brown, whom the team chose with the top overall pick in the NBA draft. The Wizards also re-signed Christian Laettner, who can play some power forward.

"We appreciate Michael's efforts through the years here in Washington," Wizards president Michael Jordan said. "He was a solid example with his community service and we wish him well. However, we as a team are looking in a different direction."

Smith was a 1994 second-round pick of Sacramento and spent three seasons with the Kings before being traded to Vancouver.

What about bringing him to Houston? He was 3rd in the NBA in rebounds per 48 minutes, trailing only Ben Wallace and Mutombo. The only reasons Washington is letting him go is that he is redundant on a team with lots of rebounders (Jahidi White, Popeye Jones) and his contract was too high. But, in the philosophy of having a backup who can fill a specific role, I like what Smith brings to the table. He was the one guy we got from Vancouver a few years ago in the Steve deal that I was sorry we let go. I'm not saying he would be a big-time free agent addition, but he would fill a role and probably play for the veterans minimum.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

2. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

I don't think Smith is as valuable with the new rules changes. We need power forwards that can hit a 15-20 jump shot. I would rather keep KT and Bullard than get Smith.

------------------

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If the Rockets have to trade Kenny Thomas, I wouldn't mind signing Michael Smith for cheap as a 3rd PF.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

From what I've heard, the zone has been rarely used in the rookie summer games... I'm not quite sure how often the zone will be used in the regular season... So, while it would be nice to have a PF who can shoot, it's not 100% yet that it's vital...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We already have 4 PF's who are better than Smith. Whats the point? Hell Rogers was better than Smith.

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Doesn't the "animal" shoot like 28% from the FT line??

------------------

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

We're going on the assumption that KT has to be traded to free up money for Hakeem. After that, other then Mo, and Griffin playing some spot minutes there, the Rockets don't have a PF.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Taylor and Griffen alone have it covered, Bull played the PF 85% of the time, he could be had for as little as Smith.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ziggy (edited July 27, 2001).]

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

(1) We've already got several big men who can hit the 15 to 20 footer. Not every guy we have has to be identical.

(2) Griffen's going to be starting at the SF, and he's still a little thin to play the 4 in the NBA. Bull is a completely different type of player, and not the type of guy who can defend or rebound at all.

(3) We could have both Bull and Smith. I'm not saying either/or.

(4) If we lose KT, added to the loss of Rogers, then we've lost a good deal of hustle and rebounding at the PF. There's also an open roster spot and a need for another big man.

(5) He shot 58% from the line, which was pretty close to what Dream and Tim Duncanshot from the line last season. Why do you care what the free throw numbers are anyway on a guy who doesn't shoot much? Rogers' consistantly bad free throw numbers never hurt us that I can remember.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Pig is better, at least we could have the farm going again.

------------------