1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 17, 2022.

1. Marteen

Marteen Member

A catcher who bats lefty?

[​IMG]

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Here’s how I see all these prospects ranking in the org top 30 for now:

Top 10: Matthews
    10-20: Tredwell, Ochoa
    20-30: Hueto, Jaworksky, Bloss

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Round 17, Pick 524: Colby Langford, LHP, Murray State College

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Dammit. Elias out-flanked us on Tanner Witt!

BlindHog likes this.
  5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Round 18, Pick 554: Derek True, RHP, Cal Poly

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Rockies just picked a dude named Kannon Handy. Pitcher. LoLz.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Round 19, Pick 584: Andrew Duncan, OF, A3 Academy, Tampa, Florida

Baseball training facility that also has an online school. Florida State commit.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. htownbball

htownbball Member

Toolssssss. Ran a 6.23 60yd (80 grade) and throws 95mph from the outfield

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The Astros close out the 2023 MLB Draft with...

Round 20, Pick 614: Pascanel Ferreras, SS, Western Carolina

Draft Pick Tracker thread coming later tonight.

10. prospecthugger

Ferreras is the only Astros draft pick listed as shorter than 6'.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Good defensive C, solid 15+ HR power, solid plate discipline and swing decisions, no major strikeout issues (at least in college). Not expecting him to be a star or anything but definitely good potential for a high floor 15th round pick.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I like their draft. Dana Brown is very detail oriented and the Astros scouts spent a lot of time physically seeing these prospects and learning about them. The Astros player development staff also has seen video on these players. So the Astros put a lot of time and thought on who they drafted. A lot of these players have strong tools and upside.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I just hope they’re as steadfast at working our signings as the previous regimes were.

obviously all of it better than the Drayton days where signing guys wasn’t always a given.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yep, trust these guys till they prove otherwise. I’m not knowledgeable enough to do otherwise.

The farm got upgraded in the middle infield, outfield, and pitching. Matthews is one of the 3 highest ceiling prospects in the system and Tredwell is one of the 5 best pitching prospects in the system. Ochoa and Hueto have huge upside similar to what Baez and Gomez offer.

The farm still is fairly weak in the corner infield and lacks elite pitching prospects, but overall they have very good depth and a good stable of prospects with potential to be everyday or even star players, and this draft added to that.

16. raining threes

I was really hoping Brown would take a chance on a pitcher like he took on Strider. Plus stuff and I don't see anything but SP3 from what they drafted. But I'm not well versed with the MLB draft. But if you want to talk the NFL draft I'm much more knowledgeable.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Alonzo Tredwell has very high upside as a starting pitcher if he can stay healthy.

Right now he throws 94 mph but the Astros are confident that he can throw harder with adjustments in his delivery. He also has a nasty ride on his fastball up and in on righties with his 7’0” wingspan and 6’8” frame. He has a drop curve that he can sequence with well and excellent control - with some good spin.

He is a ballsy pick, with a high upside. He has pitched very little since he was a junior in high school. There is a lot of upside and risk with him.

The Astros drafted a lot of guys with a high upside in this draft.

18. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

I'm along for the ride with you, r3, as I'm not well versed in the draft. So, I was looking for that kind of move, that one where I would say that Brown did a great job, but then decided that there is probably so little that separates many of these prospects that I'm going to leave it in his hands and the development team and pray that they are working on the same page.

With that said, how do we not know that Brown didn't get the next Strider? Since I've only been following the draft closely these last two years, I wondered what was being said about Strider when he got drafted, knowing that he was a gem found in the 4th round. Well, Strider had TJS in college and due to Covid, didn't pitch much after that before being drafted.

At one point, Strider was given a future of "middle relief" by prospectslive.

https://www.prospectslive.com/scoutingreports/spencer-strider

Also, here is an article about him right after he got drafted:

https://www.batterypower.com/platfo...er-strider-fourth-round-of-the-2020-mlb-draft

It shows that he wasn't ranked anywhere outside of prospectslive at 354. Now, some of that may have directly been because of Covid, but every player was dealing with the same situation and missing crucial development time.

So, let's hold out hope that in a few years from now, that we look back and say that the Astros did in fact get their "Strider."

I have troube trying to make sense of things when I try to make a list of my top 10 favorite movies, and that's with seeing them all myself. I can't imagine what it's like to comb through all these players, from college juniors and seniors, juco players and high school players all across the country. I am sure there isn't too much separating player #127 and player #268, or #387 to #490. Let's just hope that Brown and company found the differences in the players the Astros drafted that will benefit the club for years to come.

19. raining threes

I feel much better after Nook's post about Treadwell. He and Strider have the TJ and not pitching much in common. Sounds like he's got a lot promise, the developmental team appears to have a lot to work with in Treadwell.

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Feel bad for this kid. Gonna break out like an all star his first year in the bigs, only to find he’s still just playing backup to Maldy.

SWTsig and Wulaw Horn like this.