1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. mightybosstone

I get that Lopez backing out threw a huge wrench into their plans, but their Plan B needed to be better than "let's sign some role players and just give them all too much money." If this deal goes south, this should be the thing that costs Stone his job. I genuinely think he's done quite well at drafting and adding talent, but his asset management skills are atrocious and they just keep getting worse.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Well… the press conferences will be funny.

3. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I won't feel surprised that Stone get fired after next season.

I still remember Tillman ever said CP3's 40m per season contract is the worst contract in history. Imagine if FVV and Brooks play not well....

dobro1229 likes this.
  4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Never put lawyers in charge of business decisions. Stone (a lawyer) panicked for some dumb reason and now we throw even more money after an already questionable contract? The whole world knew that there wasn't much competition for this signing.... who were we bidding against? And we could have maneuvered the trades in a way to save $10+ million of cap space, but we failed to do it? INCOMPETENCE!

Buddy of mine was at the Marquee Day Club recently (the pool party at the Cosmopolitan in Vegas). Dillon Brooks was in attendance and living large. After this contract, you'd think he would at least extend the courtesy of patronizing one of Tilman's properties in Vegas?? (before attending the Grizzlies summer league game - lol)

Stone has some serious explaining to do. This looks awful.

#924 El_Conquistador, Jul 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    NIKEstrad and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yep. Stones ego and leadership skills are one thing that Tillman might not give a crap about … but knowing Tillman like we do a contract like this one will absolutely get Stone fired. Hell it might get Patrick fired.

There’s just no way to talk around how risky this contract is and you only go to this lengths to get him if you are incredibly desperate.

PeterKingX likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Are we at $100M yet? Do I hear $110M? Oh, we’re up to $120M! SOLD! 4 years, $130M to the Houston Rockets. [​IMG]

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4676721/2023/07/09/dillon-brooks-exclusive/

LAS VEGAS — As Dillon Brooks nestled in his seat next to Jaren Jackson Jr. at halftime of Saturday’s Grizzlies–Bulls game, soaking up the atmosphere inside the Cox Pavilion, a Memphis official approached him, his smile as wide as the arena itself.

The two shared a long embrace and exchanged pleasantries before the conversation shifted to basketball, with Brooks now a member of the Houston Rockets having left the Grizzlies in free agency, the team he had spent the entirety of his six-year career before the move. Despite the jovial tone of the exchange, it was clear Brooks was already in semi-playoff mode.

“Four times,” Brooks said, referring to the number of games the Grizzlies and Rockets would play each other in the regular season. “Four times. Four times. And I got him too!”

Brooks raised his voice with his final sentence, fully aware of the intended target, former teammate Desmond Bane — knowing he was within earshot at the right decibel. The Grizzlies wing didn’t hesitate to join in on the festivities.

“He already said he ain’t gonna be able to guard me!” Bane responded with a smile. “He already said ‘I’m coming off of a pin-down and he can’t hold me!'”

Bane grabbed Brooks and the two play-wrestled which started by the baseline and spilled onto the court before embracing. The love still burns strong in Memphis, but Brooks is ready to bring that same passion, fire and energy to his new Rockets team.

Brooks, fresh off signing a new contract with Houston that will pay him $86 million over four years (with incentives that can reach up to $90 million), sat down with The Athletic to discuss his new team, what he bring to the table, early expectations and more.

Why Houston? What enticed you to take your talents to the Rockets at this point in your career?

You know, it was like the same type of thing with Memphis. A nice young core. I feel like I can make an impact there. And just give my veteran-ness and my defensive love for the game, bring that sense of professionalism and try to change it around.

This is a Rockets team with a ton of young talent but really struggled defensively over these last two, three seasons. Now, you’ve entered the picture fresh off a season where you earned All-Defense honors. What do you bring to the table?

Just a lot of grit. A lot of heart, a lot of knowledge, good defensive game as well. And I’m here to teach, you know what I’m saying? I can’t wait to work with Tari (Eason). I feel like he can be a great player in this NBA — especially a great defender — and grow his game, his athleticism and everything. But I can’t wait to work with him. And yeah, pretty much. And just, you know, that just that veteran savvy.

Being paired with a head coach in Ime Udoka who also preaches defense, how does that lend to the future of the team trying to reset the culture and help these guys grow?

Just trying to build the right way. This is an offense-driven league but to win championships, to win games on a consistent basis, you’ve got to have defense. Everybody can score. Everybody can find a way to make plays. But how can you get stops? And that was part of my reason why I picked (Houston). Ime Udoka is a great coach. And I want to be coached by a great coach.

Have you had any conversations with Fred VanVleet or some of the other guys on the team since agreeing to sign with the Rockets?

I spoke to Jalen. I can’t wait to work with him, he can’t wait to work with me, grow our games together. Spoke to Fred for a little bit. He can’t wait to get to work — that’s all he’s preaching. Let’s get to work, let’s get to work. And then I met (Alperen) Şengün as well and (Jae’Sean) Tate. So I met a couple of the guys. And I can’t wait to meet more of the guys and get accustomed to everything.

You’re someone that’s always going to speak your mind and you’re not afraid to get in other players’ faces. This team needs an edge like that. So with that chip on your shoulder, with how everything ended with the Grizzlies, what are you trying to bring from Day 1?

I’m just trying to be contagious. I just want to be contagious energy, you know what I’m saying? And I feel like with my veteran presence, my leadership, my energy, it’s contagious. And guys play hard and guys want to play on both sides. So I can’t wait to have that effect and change it around.

100 percent. I think they’ve seen it. You know, it was two years ago. But just getting to my spots, being more of a downhill threat and just trying to be a better floor spacer.

What is your motivation? What moves Dillon Brooks?

The match up. I try to find motivation every single day, every single game, however I can get it. You always want to play with that fire, especially as a defender, because if you take a day or a play off, guys capitalize on that. And that’s one thing that we’ll probably try to do in Houston — hold people accountable and the details of everything.

There’s been a lot of chatter about you but not much is discussed about you finishing second-team All-Defense. Why do you think that is?

I’m not sure. It doesn’t matter to me. I know every single night, guys are thinking about me. It’s in their mind before the game even starts. So I’m not worried about that. It’s just one thing you put down as a good accolade and try to keep replicating each and every season. But I’m happy that I made the team.

Any early expectations like making the Play-In Tournament or the playoffs this season? Any personal goals for yourself?

Baby steps. I feel like it’s going to start in training camp with our habits. Our attention to detail, how hard we play and then go game by game and try to get better. But obviously, we want to go to the playoffs and the Play-In and change it all around like that. But it’s going to take baby steps. It’s going to take guys listening and guys ready to play. Guys are excited for this.

You mentioned making these young players better. How can you help someone like Şengün, a talented offensive center that wants to get better on the other side of the ball as well? Because that position is considered the last line of defense and the most important, how can your on-court presence help him?

Just being in the right spots on drop coverages or if we’re switching, just being in the right spots, Understanding that there’s always a game plan to everybody, especially when we’re going to be switching. So how does a player like to go right or left, his strong suits, film work and stuff like that. That’s the way that I can help him get better on the defensive end. And then ultimately it’s just the will and the fight.

Do you agree with the notion VanVleet will be able to get you more efficient shots? Your 3-point percentage slipped last season, but how does playing with someone like VanVleet aid your effectiveness and efficiency?

Yeah, for sure. He finds ways to get guys open shots and I just gotta start knocking them down, that’s all. I can’t wait to play with Fred. He’s a crafty guard, loves to find his teammates, but ultimately can find a way to score, too. I can’t wait to play him and our games mix well.

I know every top defender has certain tricks to their game. Are you willing to share all of your secrets with these guys to help bring their defensive level up or are there some tools you want to keep for yourself?

I’m definitely going to share. I always share my gems all the time. And I’m definitely going to share because we’re going to be switching. Each guy’s going to have a chance to guard whoever. So I’m obviously going to teach them. That’s why I went through this seven-year league thing, because I have the knowledge of how to guard these guys. I’m going to give them a couple of tricks of the trade, just different things to be in the right positions, stuff like that. I can’t wait, I can’t wait to get to work.

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

what I don't understand if we had all this cash to spend why did we not take any runs at the RFA's in the class?

No Cam Thomas bid, no Austin Reaves bid.. Hell, it seems Kuzma would have been cheaper. Kyrie is being paid less than Fred. Just weird things,

clos4life likes this.
  9. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

He said all the right things, sounds like a good vet

Y2JT, Dobbizzle, Kevooooo and 2 others like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

11. maj21

maj21 Member

We’re gonna grow to love him. He’s a Pat Bev and Draymond type, just wish we didn’t overpay for him

Scarface, Y2JT, Hank McDowell and 4 others like this.
  12. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that the added money is to change the contract and get non guarantees / team options on the end.

They already did this with Jeff Green — gave him a couple million more and added a new team option year after the deal was initially announced.

Notice the reporting from Woj / McMahon / Iko since last night does NOT say the $86M is fully guaranteed. Same PR playbook as VanVleet’s team option.

Otherwise this has zero internal logic. Stone has made lots of moves I disagree with and think are dumb, but they all have had some internal logic.

Y2JT and mightybosstone like this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Bruce Brown got 2 yr/45 mil with the 2nd year being a team option. Basically the same AAV as Brooks. Stone was giving out team options for the other contracts. I'll be blown away if this Brooks deal is fully guaranteed beyond 2 years considering that.

sirjesse likes this.
  14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Just woke up. Has it turned into a full max deal yet?

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This is why Stone is in a different class of GM than Morey. Stone isn’t afraid to go above and beyond to cater to his players. Moreys cold calculating way of doing business rubbed players the wrong way and no one wanted to play for him. Or something.

harold bingo and Tuckmose like this.
  16. mightybosstone

This is my hope as well. Even one year of that deal being a team option would be a massive win. I'd give him an extra $3 million a year in a heartbeat to get out of that fourth season. And a $20 million expiring in the third year isn't impossible to move for cap room if they need it. If they indeed get a team option, I'll come back and give Stone some props, but at face value as of this morning, the man looks like a fool.

Y2JT and Icehouse like this.
  17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yea, my guess is the last year is now non guaranteed at least partially. He's probably making so much more in the first 3 years that it covers like half of what he would have made in the last year in the previous contract structure.

18. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

I was wrong, it was a pure giveaway by Stone. The most perplexing and infuriating Rockets move I can remember in a long time (this combined with not using our extra cap space for anything this summer).

If Brooks came back and demanded more money - just say no! We’d get to keep the 5 second rounders we gave up in the S&T if he walked. Also, where would he go? There’s no cap space anywhere.

So so so weak by Stone. Embarrasing.

#938 carl_herrera, Jul 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    slothy420 and mightybosstone like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. mightybosstone

Just a breathtaking failure, and it was totally avoidable. Such a disappointment that leaves a bad taste in our mouths in what was an otherwise very successful offseason. I'd love to say "maybe he can prove he was worth this contract," but I just don't see any way that's possible. At the end of the day, one bad contract won't break the team in the long term, but it was just so... stupid.