1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Aaron Holiday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 6, 2023.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Just rewatched The Wedding Singer for the millionth time so this was heard in the style of Adam Sandler.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Agreed.

Amen is going to have some growing pains like all rookies, but hes not some big time project thats going to need years to develop. Hes not new to the sport or the position. I think because of his shot people forget how good he is at everything else.

don grahamleone and OremLK like this.
  3. Holybats

Holybats Member

Good bye KPJ

4. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Excellent, we were in serious need of a guard

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Everyone is so confused about there not being enough minutes for everyone. It's like you guys have forgotten what it means to compete in the NBA.

There's always decent players who don't make the rotation. You have to have competition for minutes. You don't split it out neatly among the players. You want players to TAKE those minutes in practice. At guard, wing and C you're going to see competition for minutes. A few people won't get the minutes they want. Just like you would see on any playoff team, even if we're not a playoff team.

We're not going to have the problem we had where if we wanted to rest KPJ our alternative was Daishen Nix or rusty rookie Tyty. We're going to actually see who's shooting well and playing good defense consistently. Nothing is being handed out, regardless of your contract.

glynch, don grahamleone, ArtV and 3 others like this.
  6. invocux

invocux Member

Ppl who believe that "Nothing is being handed out" is being super naive. Oh Idoka said it so it must be true i believe my beloved coach. Coaches play players that they think they will fit in his system not the ones train the most. Sure if you slack the defense you will sit but he won't "bench" you for a guy that he thinks that is a role player in his system. I'm pretty sure regardless of how their performances are on the court fvv and brooks will get the most minutes in the next season.

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No, we're just not being INSANE about it. We'll assume he'll do it and if/when he doesn't do it we'll change our minds.

8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

He gone

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Ime is about Ws - not player development. He's going to put the best players on the floor that contribute to a W. Practice (and after practice) is where you learn to grow. I hope Amen helps contribute soon, but we are more heavily loaded on D than O. He's going to have to balance the roster some by having someone who can score from outside for spacing.

saleem, don grahamleone and Mathloom like this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Minor comment: Ime is a development guy through and through. That's how his coaching career started and what he was best at. Came from an excellent development program in San Antonio.

Turns out he cares about winning more, but he has tons of development experience. Didn't get a chance to fully show it on the Celtics, but he did develop Tatum and Brown into more selfless stars for that one season and it yielded immediate results.

don grahamleone and ArtV like this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LMAO

saleem and marinara like this.
  12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I worded that poorly and 100% agree. And I agree with his philosophy. If you can’t get motivated to play better and put in more effort then yeah you don’t deserve floor time. They have the coaching now so if you have the talent and motivation then you’ll do well.

But no more free rides regardless of where you were drafted.

don grahamleone and Mathloom like this.
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I figured that's what you meant, just nitpicking cause I'm excited about this phase too.

don grahamleone and ArtV like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Not sure what you are trying to say here, but Amen will be in the rotation.

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

He will play meaningful minutes if he makes the team on the floor better.

He will not if there is someone on the Rockets outplaying him.

Just because he’s drafted 4th doesn’t make him playable out of the gate. Sad fact is we can’t play 2-3 vs 5 on offense and we know Brooks will be playing. If Amen’s shot is jacked still (I think it will take time) and the lane is clogged because it will be, then you’re playing 3 on 5. And that’s assuming Green and Bari are both having a good night. 4 on 5 is doable but 3 or possibly even 2 on 5 is just going to be brutal.

Don’t get me wrong, I REALLY want to see him succeed, I just think it’s going to take time. How much time is up to him.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Amen will be with the second unit, he should share the floor with Brooks very little.

xtruroyaltyx and don grahamleone like this.
  18. marinara

marinara Member

You want the team to be even worse at Shooting?

saleem likes this.
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just wanted to mention that even though I'm one of Amen's biggest boosters and think he's ultimately our point guard in the long term, Holiday has been a great pickup and I'd like to see him continue to get minutes after Amen returns from injury. Holiday might honestly be our best three point shooter overall and we definitely need that, but he's also been really good defensively despite being a 6 footer.

He kind of reminds me of Rockets Legend Aaron Brooks from one of my favorite scrappy teams of the past, except he's much better defensively.

Rashmon, Dr of Dunk, BamBam and 3 others like this.
  20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

he's been doing great.

BamBam and vince like this.