1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the intention with Brook Lopez?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jul 4, 2023.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yes short term it is a huge blow. I think we push for the playoffs with him this year. Long term it means nothing. For championship odds it means nothing.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

I think Jabari Smith, Sengun, and Lopez were going to split up 96 minutes between the 3 of them.

AroundTheWorld and OremLK like this.
  3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Our front office isn't 100% in on Sengun, that's for sure.

34to11, Verbal Christ and Jontro like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The intention of Brook Lopez was to use us to fatten his wallet. We were used and cast aside. That’s life in the NBA, and you always have to be prepared for it.

To answer the direct question, of course he was going to start. Sengun would learn from being a teammate of a center with the elite skills he will need to excel as a 5 in the NBA, eventually taking the starting role himself, with hard work and a bit of luck, in a year or two. Sengun will have to find that path another way. It was a great idea by Stone. I can’t criticize him for it. I can and have criticized him for other things, but we’re left with the obvious. We move on.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

but they are with tater and kjp. patrick wouldn't have approved, must be from the tillmen

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This. No big drama. Lopez would have provided what they have been hoping to get from Jabari. He would have been more redundant with Jabari than with Alpi. But either way, they would have all played starter minutes.

OremLK likes this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

The idea was not get trumped by 20 rebounds by a mediocre Magic team and have some size. I really hate how we're back here, to the good ol' Morey days of no bigs and the one that's on the bench (Boban now, Mutombo then) will not get playing time and or shouldn't, but also is not the answer. He also is a veteran, shoots without hesitation, very solid shot blocker so really wished he hadn't reneged on the deal.

MadMax likes this.
  8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Patrick got dared by his 22 year old friends when they were high one night to offer him a contract.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

In hindsight Ime would have clearly started Lopez with Sengun, Jabari is not ready.

Little Bit, AroundTheWorld and DJ like this.
  10. Rochut

Rochut Member

In this case what would have happened to Tari? Brooks/Tate/Tari split 48 minutes?

11. Rokman

Rokman Member

They would battle it out and let the best man start.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We're not a contender, so there are going to be deficiencies in the squad. If you took every 41ish win team from last season, all of them have what you would consider major holes. That can include being bad at FT's, finishing at the rim or 3pt shooting too. That's not an effective way of assessing our situation.

Rebounding is the least important stat after steals. Before you yell about how important it is, just read: it is not unimportant. It's just one of the least important. Give me more points, assists, defense, blocks, 3PM or FTM over rebounds any day of the week. That's a fact not an opinion. Rebounding correlates less with winning than all the other stats I mentioned. If the only hole we have is rebounding, then we've done a miraculous job and should win 50 games.

The truth is we must have more than one hole in our roster talent and rebounding is likely one of them. If we keep chipping away at things and limit our weaknesses to a couple of things like rebounding and 3pt shooting, we will be in good position to make the playins.

Just stop drawing conclusions from 1 game. You don't know what you think you know. Your instinct is not as good as you think. No one knows. I don't know either. Stop acting like you know the identity of this team, you're just pissing yourself off. We're building an identity from scratch. The statue of liberty looked like a lump of poop before being sculpted into what it is today. That's where we're at.

The past 2 seasons did practically nothing for the development of the kids, and that's the risk we had to take so that we would rebuild the roster within 3 years. We still have high potential young guys, future picks and cap space in 2 years if no one is worth the max. Just do yourself a favor and step back from it all if it's doing this to you. Why would you be a fan of something then screw your own fun up with largely imaginary hypotheticals?

On to the next one. If you're hyper sensitive, go ahead and ignore the next 19 games too because we're NOT going to be the roster that catches on quickly. The Boston Celtics didn't catch on quickly with practically 0 roster turnover. It's not going to happen faster here. Just think about things for a second instead of barfing out every silly thought.

BamBam likes this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The intention was cross between Robert Williams
    and Horford.

Milwaukee uses Brook Lopez in drop coverage just like Udoka likes using Robert Williams as a drop coverage protect the rim presence.

The Horford part is Lopez's ability to shoot the 3.

This allows Sengun to guard a zone like Horford
    when on defense (Brook that rim protecting drop coverage guy that came in 2nd or 3rd in DPOY voting).

Lopez allows the team to have spacing as Horford does while Sengun can work in the restricted area
    on offense.... Robert Williams does not shoot 3's.

Sengun would be free to set screens, PnR, PnPop,
    Post Up, play the Olynyk role above the break

He (Lopez) was much more important to this Rockets team than VanVleet in my opinion

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The intention was cross between Robert Williams
    and Horford.

Milwaukee uses Brook Lopez in drop coverage just like Udoka likes using Robert Williams as a drop coverage protect the rim presence.

The Horford part is Lopez's ability to shoot the 3.

This allows Sengun to guard a zone like Horford
    when on defense (Brook that rim protecting drop coverage guy that came in 2nd or 3rd in DPOY voting).

Lopez allows the team to have spacing as Horford does while Sengun can work in the restricted area
    on offense.... Robert Williams does not shoot 3's.

Sengun would be free to set screens, PnR, PnPop,
    Post Up, play the Olynyk role above the break

Lopez was much more important than VanVleet in my opinion. Stone screwed the pooch on that one

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Someone to play center on defense and at the 3pt line on offense to allow Sengun to play PF on defense and C on offense.

It would have been perfect.

DD

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Time Lord did more in 23 min off the bench on a bad POR team than any of our bigs not named Alpi.

Put together a package so you can reunite him with Ime and bring him home!

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sure.

Sengun role on defense would be cover a 3-point line in his zone area and run those 3-point shooters off the 3.....funnel them towards Robert Williams who protects the rim. Or that player shoots the most inefficient shot in the gm known as the mid range shot.

Bucks players funnel shooters off the 3 and towards Brook Lopez in the paint.

Problem would be both Robert Williams and Sengun not shooting from 3 well enough.
    Sengun was 33% from 3 on 0.8 attempts per
    game last year. 11% from 3 in the preseason.

Would spell certain doom with two non shooting 3 players on the court at the same time. Probably works in Turkey; but not in the NBA

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Alpi needs to shoot as well as Horford as part of his development. With Alpi's touch I have no doubt he can hit 34-35% on 200 attempts. I'm sure he can do that based on his year 1 to year 2 progress so far. He just has to stop hesitating and have confidence.

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I had Sengun at 33% on 3 to 4 attempts per game last year (preseason prediction).
    Hit the % (spot on) but guessed wrong on attempts per game.

Which brings me to the age long question? All we need is a point guard.

Well do we have a point guard Clutchfans? He was an All Star (when everyone else
    in the East was hurt. All I heard was, we need a real point guard, we need a true
    point guard!! Alpi would be great with a real point guard.....now we don't need a PG?
    Just give it to Sengun? I was more in tune with that than bringing in VanVleet.

I said many times the NBA is changing. They are going with Combo Guards
    predominately....guys that switch everything defensively and contribute more
    than just assists. Teams want rebounds, blocks, deflections, box outs, tip-ins,
    targets slashing or cutting to the rim that can finish by dunking or lobs.

VanVleet ain't it. He gets lost among the trees while in the paint.
    I hated the acquisition then and I hate it now. Especially when I hear
    let's just give the ball to Amen or Sengun or Jalen Green or Tate.
    We'd be better off.

Giving $43M to a semi spot up shooter and asking him to teach our guys how to
    be point guards was just dumb. But I digress. Keep on with your bad selves
    Rockets. Prove me wrong.

ipaman likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t see him as a fit either, but should be much better than kpj.Amen has to be the pg quickly. I think he had terrible first game jitters and expect him to improve throughout the season. FVV’s defense is much worse than reported.

ApacheWarrior likes this.