1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Actually they're both good shooters for their position. Hill shot like 50% from 3pt land. Ibaka and Londale are better shooters than most C's.

Also we're set at 8 or more rotation spots. There's barely minutes left. How many 3PM are you expecting from a ten minute player?

Shooting wise things are not going to change much by adding a 10th man which is what these two would be.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Well because their FO released a statement saying they want cap relief as part of the deal. Cap relief is great for rebuilding because you can rent it out for picks like Thunder did. I think they got 2-3 FRP's out of it.

By all accounts they don't like Simons contract and attitude. No defense, no playmaking, no IQ. Happy to take Nurkic instead but Simons is a worse contract that would cost them more to dump.

Dame is on a four year contract and doesn't seem like the type to hold out from playing games. I would take the risk and slowly convince him.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4664367/2023/07/04/jaylen-brown-extension-celtics-grant-williams/

Though most of the league’s cap space has dried up at this point, the expectation with Williams has always been that a sign-and-trade or midlevel exception (MLE) would be the likely outcome. Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, New York and Washington are all still in the mix, according to league sources, with Williams eligible to sign an offer sheet on July 6. The Celtics have 24 hours to match once the sheet is signed.

Boston has been seeking a first-round pick in return for Williams, according to league sources, though it’s rare for a sign-and-trade for a role player to yield that significant of a return.

Multiple league sources told The Athletic that they expect the Celtics to consider matching a deal up to the $12.4 million MLE that teams such as Charlotte and Atlanta can offer. But those teams, as well as Dallas, New York and Washington, can work out a sign-and-trade with the Celtics to bring in Williams for a salary Boston wouldn’t match. Williams can’t sign an offer sheet until July 6, so teams have time to get a read on how deep into the teens they can push the Celtics before Boston relents.

4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Current Rotation
    FVV - Amen / ???
    Thrilla - Scoot / ???
    Villain (yuck!) - Tari - Whitmore
    Bari - Uncle Jeff - Tate
    Sengawd - Tall Jock - Huff?

1) need another front court player (Huff? Bamba?)
    2) need vet lead guard
    3) need wing depth
    4) possibly another 4/5

I would love a trade with Boston involving a sign & trade for Grant Williams + Hauser
    BOS: Tate + 2 SRPs (2024, 2025)

HOU: S&T Grant Williams (4 years, $60M) + Hauser
    Trade checker says would have to move JGup (done) or Michael Frazier II????

If we did that, looks like we would just need a vet lead guard.
    FVV - Amen - ???
    Thrilla - Scoot - Whitmore
    Villain (again... yuck!) - Tari - Hauser
    Bari - Grant W - Uncle Jeff
    Sengawd - Tall Jock - Huff

Depending on Amen's development + how the front court holds up... IMHO that could be a play-in candidate.

ilias and ArtV like this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

At this point I have to assume that Ime doesn’t want Grant Williams, which is surprising to me. So sounds like this is the end of our roster building. I think it’s pretty disappointing and a straight up reflection that we have a very weak front office.

TimDuncanDonaut and carl_herrera like this.
  6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is about the first Jaylen Brown deal for the rockets I liked, but only if Jaylen agrees (wink, wink) to an extension. This team would be in the playoffs immediately.

saleem likes this.
  8. Sen89

Sen89 Member

With Portland looking to find the best deal for them, Boston not resigning Jaylen Brown yet, and talks of Tatum wanting Lillard to join, I feel like we're the most likely 3rd party to make that 3-team deal work. But I don't think we get Brown by just giving up KPJ/Tate/Picks like above.

Portland wants picks + talent, but I think they'd want youth in the frontcourt, since they have their future perimeter already (Scoot, Simons, Sharpe). I don't think we trade Jabari. Sengun maybe but we'd be without a starting C (which wouldn't make sense because getting Brown = shift to win-now). Green would make sense because Brown would be taking his place + his immaturity might clash with Udoka (ala JayGup), but I don't think Portland would want him (4th team?). That leaves Eason as the likely casualty.

What sucks is that we'd have to throw in more picks, and we could've hung onto guys like Tyty, JayGup, KJ and Garuba as sweeteners to help pull off a deal like this.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The fact that there haven't even been rumblings of the Rockets trying to find an impactful player to fit into the additional room they could create, as well as Mouthpiece Feigen reporting that we only "technically" have a few bucks plus an MLE to throw at someone leads me to believe that we are done with the off-season. And if we're done, I have to say Stone letting Brook Lopez bamboozle him like this is beyond egregious.

Stone loves to operate like he's the smartest, most smug mother ****er in the room. But the fact is he got absolutely played in this situation, and got left with his dick in his hand with no recourse. If he can't figure out how to bring a bona fide shooter into the mix in the next 2 days, he should absolutely be fired.

ETA: I would love to eat crow on this and be wrong, but I haven't heard one inkling of us being interested in anyone.... not even Grant Williams who is the most logical and obvious choice.

10. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Yup, the Brook Lopez / Dillon Brook’s S&T debacle only makes a tiny bit of sense if they have something in mind to do with the space they created as a one of the backup plans to Brook Lopez falling through.

Otherwise, following through with the distressed asset sales involved is beyond incompetent.

And I don’t want to hear that “they couldn’t back out because it would have hurt their reputation”. They didn’t even have to back out themselves, they could have just not caved to Dillon Brooks and refused to give him the full 4 years guaranteed, then it would have been Dillon Brooks who made the whole 5 team S&T fall through, not the Rockets.

A new possibility I’m seeing is Grayson Allen. With Milwaukee signing Beasley, Allen is kind of expendable and would save them a lot of tax money to move off of. He’s at $10M/1yr, can play a bench wing role, and shoots the crap out of the ball in the regular season.

We could probably get Allen for nothing into our space and he’d be muuuuuch better than Tate to play with Amen in our second unit.

joshuaao, snowconeman22 and jch1911 like this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’d pick him up for sure

Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

Yesss! Get Bol :)

Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  14. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

Bol Bol would be a great pickup

he’ll have plenty of teams to choose from

Rudyc281, Corpusfan and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Stone has generally been underwhelming. I do love the talent aggregation of the young guys though.

For me, I think the die is cast. Losing Bosh what is the biggest deal in the world to me and then ended up OK. The worst thing that can happen here is we figure out that Alperen Sengun has a much lower ceiling than expected. However, signing Lopez may have assured that. Some of our wins are likely luck but I still give the rebuild a solid B.

xaos likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Personally, I think the worry is Jalen and Jabari not having a high ceiling. More draft capital involved, bigger miss if they miss.
    I think Alp has shown the most, followed by Green. Jabari has some flashes, hopefully they all hit

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Bol Bol please

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

We should be on the phone already

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

7'2... long... defensive... I like the idea.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. whozee

whozee Member

@tinman