1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Grade the signings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Jul 3, 2023.

?

How would you grade the offseason

Poll closed Jan 2, 2024.
  1. A

8.1%
  2. B

34.8%
  3. C

34.8%
  4. D

16.2%
  5. F

6.2%
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

For years I talked about how Free Agency is dead now, and it's especially bad for teams no one wants to play for. So I'm not at all surprised at this awful return in FA.

I'd give it a C. But those were my expectations.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Coach: A
    Draft: A
    Free Agency: B

Ime and our draft are home runs. I think people are being overly critical about our free agency. Landing FVV on a two year deal with a third year TO is huge. Brooks’ deal really isn’t that big, and he’s obviously the guy Ime wanted. Landale is a very solid backup and secures Sengun’s starting position (there’s a good chance Lopez would have started). The trades of our late FRPs were basically just trimming the fat — I’ve said it before, but this forum tends to overvalue late FRPs. That’s why the Gordon trade was such a great move.

Another thing is, so far, we haven’t given up any future FRPs. Under the new CBA, how you will win is by having a healthy influx of rookies to complement your core.

#42 Houston77, Jul 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Majority of first rounders don't pan out especially low first rounders. They were worth a gamble and didn't turn out to be anything special.

You really gonna fire Stone over freaking Garuba? Lmao

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

FA: C

Drift Monkey likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

So you giving the Rox an F just cuz you would've traded JC, Garuba and Tyty for Porzingis by now? What is this NBA2K with override on? Btw Porzingis got traded for Tyus Jones, Danilo Gallinari and a 2nd round pick but I'm sure Wizards would have preferred JC, Garuba and Tyty cuz rookie deal players are exactly what they wanted.

FVV's 3rd year is a team option. So effectively he did only sign for 2 years.

Just to make it clear I'm also pissed at the Atlanta trade but I think it's hella dumb dumping Josh Christopher, Garuba and Tyty suddenly makes the entire off-season an F.

So JC, Garuba and Tyty are the core pieces of this team? More important than Jalen, KPJ, Jabari, Sengun, Tari, Amen and Cam Whitmore? What exactly about those 3made them seem like future all stars to you? We really throwing a hissy fit over JC, Garuba and Tyty?

Y'all are such jokers.

anthony59237 likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Brooks signing makes it a D, it's just a disaster of a signing, like signing a worse version of Westbrook offensively but better defensively to a 4 year deal you have no chance whatsoever of being able to trade till it's an expiring deal. A guy you'll have to start, and have to give a premium role on offense or he'll be a locker room cancer.

Completely inexcusable.

The VanVleet signing is a massive overpay, but the 3rd year being a team option makes it solid enough even if he continues to be as mediocre as he was last season.

As a whole, the Rockets have created a team that absolutely can't shoot a basketball...that's their entire identity as a team now.

Hopefully they can hold opposing teams to 70 points a game because they aren't going to be scoring much.

7. Risingred

Risingred Member

FA: C

All scores would be an F if they did not get meaningful FAs to fill the team's needs. FVV signing was perfect, 2+1 deal, can't be better. Brooks signing would be either B- or C-, depending on the contract structure. Uncle Green and Landale are B+. Giving up most previous FRPs and KMJ for virtually nothing would be an F- in my book.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

FVV - A-
    Brooks - D
    Landale - C
    Green - B

Overall C+

DD

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

KMJ netted 2 SRPs so that's not nothing. Rox used a super low 2nd rounder to get him.

I'm also angry at the Atlanta trade but apparently that was only done cuz Brook Lopez already verbally agreed to sign with the Rox and the Rox needed to dump 5M in salary to sign him. I dotn think that's on the Rockets FO anymore they couldn't have known Lopez would flake on them after he already agreed.

At the end of the day JC. Garuba and Tyty are extraneous players I dunno why losing them weighs more than signing FVV and Co. For you. Tbh Garuba is the only one I think is a waste short guards like JC or Tyty are a dime a dozen.

10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We wasted first round picks didn't bother to properly assess their talent and sold it for peanuts to just get jilted by a big man. That's incompetent all around by Stone.

U should get pissed that we have a gm selling low on assets and overpaying for meh players

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

So Stone is supposed to be a mind reader and fortune teller and know when Brooks agreed to a deal he is gonna flake out? Gtfo.

Those assets are assets he also acquired. At the end of the day I'm not losing sleep over JC, Garuba and Tyty. The only time JC gets mentioned is when he is being dry humped by Jalen Green and yet here you are throwing a hissy fit cuz he's gone? Gimme a break.

12. Know Your Role

I'm just looking forward to something great happening in the city of Houston.

13. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

no you moron. The salaries won’t work. Rockets would have to add in KPJ to those young assets. KPJ plus the others is way better than what the Wizards got.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

So KPJ, Garuba, Tyty and JC would get us Porzingis as long as you are the GM? LMAO.

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I give the Landale deal a B.
    Overall a B-

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Vegas no likey :eek:

17. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Give me another team that trading their 3 late 1st round players after only 1-2 years.

Rockets look so incompetent at developing young talents.

Ankara1923 and Aruba77 like this.
  18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

As I’ve had more time to contemplate free agency I’ve gone through the various stages of grief and am more level-headed on the situation. The 4yr/$80 mil Dillon Brooks signing is confounding and really bad, but setting that aside, the rest of the signings are not damaging. Landale could be a good signing. $6mil for Jeff Green is rich but we’re paying a loser tax and it’s just 1yr. I thought 2yrs at near max was inevitable for FVV. So other than the Brooks the rest of our free agent signings were decent. We preserved some of our cap space for next season.

But for me, that’s just not good enough; especially when one considers that we got nothing for KJ, TyTy, Christopher and Garuba. So this free agency has been disappointing and demonstrates once again that we don’t have a strong front office. But our situation long term isn’t hopeless, it’s just not great, and certainly this is not a good roster as it stands today going into the season. So pretty disappointing.

slothy420, PeterKingX and solid like this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

20. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Coach : C
    Losing AFettah : F
    FVV: D
    Brooks: F-
    Londale: C
    Losing TyTy/Garuba/Josh for nothing : F