1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] How many games does this team win next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by harold bingo, Jul 3, 2023.

?

How many games does this team win next season

1. <25

6 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. 25-28

25 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. 29-32

70 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. 33-36

155 vote(s)
    33.1%
  5. 37-40

114 vote(s)
    24.4%
  6. 41-44

65 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. 45+

33 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

First half of the season: 15 wins
    Second half of the season: 20 wins

The bill first 20 games may be extremely rugged to watch, when Ukoka installs his schemes.

2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I think 33-36 should be achievable if our players develop and the new coach is worth what he's supposed to be worth. We may get lucky and one of the kids breaks out and go on a bit of a run, but I'm not banking on it.

albuster likes this.
  3. kpdark

kpdark Member

I think we would be eking out wins on close games

due to last minute good coaching strategies

4. albuster

albuster Member

I am thinking about it the same way. I was a little more upbeat about the team's chances until Stone signed Brooks. I hope I am wrong.

OremLK likes this.
  5. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

The Vegas win total will be something like 29 wins. The bottom 5 teams will definitely be Detroit, Houston, San Antonio, Washington, and Portland in some order.

Without any other moves that change the starting lineup / rotation, that's about my expectation. The team improved but 2 of our 3 major problems are unchanged (worst spacing in the league, worst interior defense / rim protection in the league).

It's hard to argue otherwise -- Vegas is a pretty unbiased projection.

The real story here is: what is Stone going to do with this outlook? At a ~30 win median expectation, that means Stone is on track to get fired next summer more likely than not. I've never been more convinced Stone will push through a big trade to get himself back in position to keep his job, since after the Lopez failure he currently is not.

OremLK, harold bingo and SamFisher like this.
  6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

83 if you’re including the in-season tournament.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I went with 33-36. They do have the potential to do more though but thats if everything is clicking and someone takes a huge leap.

I do think it'll be a fun season though, not so many frustrating losses where you could tell they dropped a game because they were just not experienced enough to win.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Last year we lost:
    5-10 games because of coaching
    5-10 games because of inexperience
    5-10 games because of tanking/not tryinf

22+15 = 37 minimum
    22+30 = 52 maximum

Rocket River
    I'd bet money in Udoka

Rocket River

sydmill and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. marinara

marinara Member

low 30s possibly 35-36 at best

10. albuster

albuster Member

Looking at the current roster, I am wondering where the reliable three-point shooting will come from. Bari might finally have a breakout but that is still hoping until it happens. KPJ and FVV are relatively OK long-range shooters but they are not on the level of threats that opponents would pay serious attention to. Someone like Duncan Robinson or Reaves would really make a big difference.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Last year we lost:
    5-10 games because of coaching
    5-10 games because of inexperience
    5-10 games because of tanking/not tryinf

22+15 = 37 minimum
    22+30 = 52 maximum

Rocket River
    I'd bet money in Udoka

Rocket River
    Bingo!!!

Which is why 30 wins is not a win

Rocket River

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

No coach is worth 5-10 games, not even the GOAT coaches. Maybe like 2-4 wins. Ultimately it's a player's sport, coaching can swing a few extremely close games but that's about it. The inexperience thing is still somewhat applicable, especially if both Amen and Cam get minutes, and I don't know how to quantify tanking/not trying. I don't believe the players themselves were trying to lose games, their main concern on a bad team is their next contract which still requires playing as well as you can. How much that intangible perception of "this team is doomed because the front office is tanking" weighed on them and unconsciously affected their play, I don't know, but I doubt it was 10 wins.

13. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Fans tend to forget that the league is organic and other teams make moves as well.

San Antonio and Portland are two teams who I believe we can reasonably believe we'll be better than on our side. I think almost every team will get most of their wins from the eastern conference.

Detroit, Washington, and Toronto will be bottom three. Followed by weak Charlote, Washington, Brooklyn and Orlando teams. That's seven teams, but we will only play them 14 times lol, and only 7 at home which we're weak at.

Jeez, the Celtics and the Bucks are both going to have 60 win seasons barring injury.

Houston will finish at about 31 wins since the western conference is a lot deeper. Even Utah has a solid team and may win 37 games again. The western conference would be lucky to see a 55 win team this season. Too deep.

Corrosion and daywalker02 like this.
  14. Ancient Moabite

anywhere from 31 to 37

But if Green/Sengun show a 3rd yr quasi star leap and the two prized $ free agents do what their contracts pay (more so Brooks/VV isn't a true max player) than 40 wins is possible (though highly unlikely)

15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Udoka was saying he’s not going to start missing the playoffs, and last year’s West #8 seed had 42 wins. So he’s on a mission to get 42 wins. I’d think it’d be wise not to bet against him.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes had multiple established stars and non youth centered teams since being an assistant and his first hc job in boston speaks for itself with that roster. This is the first time hes had a team like the extremely youth centered rockets and 0 stars. hes saying what he needs to publicly but the reality is, this situation is like no other in his coaching journey

Rocket River likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

18. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I think we win like 35 games. Just miss the play-in to the dismay of many fans. Pick goes to Thunder and hope Brooklyn pick is a good one. Year after that, we take further step forward

sydmill likes this.
  19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

No coach has ever followed Silas.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A coach may not be able to will and win you 10 games.......but they damn sure can lose you 10

Rocket River