1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutch] TyTy & Garuba were casualties 4 Lopez chase

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 2, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I’ll say this. It is easy to look at Sengun’s lack of foot speed or flaws and put him down as a player. However, he is very young, very productive, he is very smart and confident and I expect him to become a solid 3 point shooter - which will make him a 20+ point a game scorer and he is a brilliant passer.

I am a big fan of his, if he can improve defensively he can be a regular all star… very young and skilled and works very hard.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is there a link showing it is front loaded?

Drift Monkey likes this.
  3. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Just to reiterate, you can’t both gripe about Stone having this happen and also pine for Morey because the exact same thing happened to Morey.

forchette49 likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeez, great call. JVG as a team President would be sublime... That, or he can kick Hollins out of the booth.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

People just wanna complain. Morey traded like 5 frp for washed up vets at least when Stone did it the Rox are still stuffed full of young guys.

ChillyPete32 likes this.
  6. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

peleincubus likes this.
  7. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

When did Morey lose assets?

8. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Had to attach a first in the trade to the Lakers to take Lin’s salary to clear room to sign Bosh based on Bosh’s agent saying he was coming to Houston if Bron left even if Miami upped the offer to a full max.

forchette49 likes this.
  9. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I mean Morey was prepared to get Bosh and Parsons, only to see both of them fall apart medically in a year. Those 2 contracts would have destroyed the Rockets. Then there was the worst deal in basketball, Paul for Westbrook, which led to the Rockets having no control over the picks for the next 3 seasons.

10. wizkid83

You know what, you're right. That was a bad move by Morey. Now the potential upside/reward was better but still equally bad. I guess still the moves made are for Lopez is what really upset me I guess.

11. wizkid83

Not what I asked.

12. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Yeah the upside with Bosh was higher but the trade was a double whammy in that Lin was a productive player, just over paid in the last year of the poison pill deal. So we shed a useful player’s salary by trading a first round pick to open up cap space for a move that didn’t happen.

That was the same off-season Morey didn’t exercise the laughably low team option on Parsons in order to lock him up long term as a restricted FA only to have it completely blow up in his face.

However, Ariza was the fallback signing and wound up being way more productive than Parsons and Bosh due to health.

13. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

So, I guess I'm inclined to believe that this is true, and Stone did clear space for Lopez only for him to back out. Honestly, that's tough and I don't know how to feel about it. I think common sense would indicate that the trade is contingent on Brook Lopez signing, correct? That would mean that Lopez agreed and then the trade was agreed upon after. That is common sense, right? It would be foolish to make the trade before Lopez agrees to sign. I don't think any GM would be that foolish considering most of us wouldn't do that either, people who aren't GMs.

So, we had Brook Lopez signed because we told him we could make the space. He said he was coming, he wanted in for that amount. Once we completed the trade and made the space for him, something happened, and he took his word back and re-signed with Milwaukee. The context that we are all missing is what happened for Brook to change his mind.

Either way, I cannot fault Rafael Stone for keeping his word with Atlanta. Keeping a strong relationship with another team is very important. We've made a trade with them last season when we got off of Bruno and Mathews in exchange for Frank Kaminsky and two future 2nd round picks. Here we are returning the favor and sending them two 2nd round picks in return. We have a solid relationship with Atlanta, and that is important. While this trade isn't favorable for the Rockets in any way, it is good business to keep a good rapport with GMs who aren't your rivals due to being in different conferences.

#173 oogie boogie, Jul 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
  14. kpdark

kpdark Member

yez, have JVG kick Hollins out of that booth

Ankara1923 likes this.
  15. bmelo

bmelo Member

The only thing that buffles me why didn't they sign pre-agreement before trading our players... no way it should be OK for Lopez to agree, trade our youngins and then he backs off. That's some really bad business from his agent

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Verbal agreements do not mean anything, nor is it legally binding.....Stone is a lawyer, he should have known better.

Because he is a lawyer.

But I have said that again and again, having 60 million in cap space does not make you invulnerable to any rejections.

It is naive to assume people should sign agreements prior to the actual deal. Players are not dumb.

Everyone changes their minds.

The Rockets are inexperienced in Free agency due to not many players coming here.

#176 daywalker02, Jul 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
  17. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Boozer did it to the Cavs too, it happens, maybe more often than we even know. Also, maybe Stone was ok afterall with giving Garuba and TyTy a chance to succeed elsewhere, even if the deal didn't go through, as there won't be any playing time for either on this team next season.

That said, I'm also just fine taking Landale on basically a 1 yr deal to back up Sengun instead. This is a huge upcoming year for Sengun to prove he firmly belongs as an NBA starter, rather him get the lions share of minutes...

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

More good news. That's why I wanted to wait till the smoke clears.

FVV is a team option in year 3 and Brooks' contract descending means we're in a good spot. Brooks will be making around $19 and $18m in his final two years, which is easily tradable if we need to dump him. If Brooks improves his shot selection and media savviness we will be rock solid.

I had said Stone got his ass handed to him but it's only 50% as bad as I thought.

Still, f*ck Brook Lopez and his agency for costing us picks and young players in exchange for nothing worthwhile.

bmelo and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Also, why not wait until the media announces and confirms Lopez signing with the rockets and then execute the smaller and necessary trades to get it done? At the very least it doesn’t look like the rockets FO are idiots for making all these moves without a reason. There’s absolutely no reason why Stone couldn’t have waited until the news of Lopez intending to sign with us was leaked.

wasn’t that the case with Bosh? I can’t remember, someone correct me. Didn’t we hear for a hot minute that Bosh was signing with us in the media?

20. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Because other teams need to plan their moves too and believe it or not, the price of taking our young players can go up too.

Stone took a chance and lost; you can say the risk was not worth taking, but at least we know what his choices were.