1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutch] TyTy & Garuba were casualties 4 Lopez chase

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 2, 2023.

1. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah, with all that sarcasm I'm sure you are.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Shows how undesirable the Rockets situation is. Having to do massive overpays and player dumps for space, just to sign players other teams dont even want.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He means way more to the bucks than us and I am sure we would have been laughed at signing a 35 year old center to a 48m contract

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Fixed. & yes

5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I see we were trying to add Toy Duncan to our Spurs haul.

Jontro likes this.
  6. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Did we at least try to offer him an IPad? Paste a picture of him in our uni at the training facility?

Drift Monkey and jch1911 like this.
  7. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly hope all the guys we traded away end up rotation players or better, but it wasn’t going to happen with the Rockets. This was for the best.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

If we put all our hope into signing Brook Lopez without a viable plan B; we are straight up dumb. And it appears that’s what happened. Stooge-level in the front office, but I’m not surprised. We got played is no excuse. Lol; some people actually care about other things more than money; especially when they have lots of it already. If they didn’t have a read on that, they didn’t do their job. It was always unlikely that Lopez was going to leave a championship contender for our sh#t show.

a 35 yr old highly intelligent guy from California that just wants to win? Yeah we got him; no need for plan B. Lol

the only silver lining is now we have to really believe in Sengun. Many of us already did.

#148 Aruba77, Jul 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

On paper Plan B seems pretty simple to put together, but executing is a whole other ball game. We are a few weeks into be off-season, still have a long summer ahead of us, probably should be a little patient.

I mean, Brook committed to signing here and then changed his mind. Players rarely back out of verbal agreements. Sucks to be burned, but **** happens. Maybe I'm just a patient person, so ignore me.

ipaman and jelanit like this.
  10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Nook, as always I appreciate your perspective, but problem I have is "Stone can be fine" isn't what I say is a recipe for winning championships.

We need a basketball mind that is a relentless businessman focused on building a winner. Stone strikes me as someone that was part of Morey's crew and easy for TF to promote and insert Patrick as his eyes/ears w/o pushback that a real GM might have (at least attempted to levy) pushed back on.

If we're going to build a winner, we'll need someone besides Stone. You're idea on JVG as EVP, Basketball Ops might just be what we need to build a strong overall staff and support Ime's crew.

joshuaao, Drift Monkey and futilman like this.
  11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

My point is is nothing Bosh's agent done will lead to a blow back. This is just how the game is played.

12. futilman

futilman Member

GET RID OF STONE HOLY FKING ****. How can you be this incompetent as a GM???

13. futilman

futilman Member

he’s done a good job drafting? How picked Jabari, jalen, amen. All super easy picks. He lucked into cam. Got alpi while he was falling (another easy move).

JC pick was terrible at the time. Garuba and Tyty were good picks that also fell and he just paid to send them away. NOTHING about this is impressive.

14. Nook

Nook Member

They are looking at the trade market more than the FA market.

There is no doubt that the Rockets massively overpaid for Brooks - but anyone around the league knew it was coming. As for FVV, his contract is reasonable for the Rockets purposes.

The Rockets are not a destination team right now because they have been terrible for 3+ years and have an owner no one trusts and an unknown GM. It will change if Thompson or Green becomes a franchise level player and the Rockets advance deep in the playoffs in a few years.

I don’t really trust Raffy Stone when it comes to the details. He has a solid larger plan, but tends to not be detail oriented. I don’t think he deserves to be fired, and I think he will get better with time - but I strongly feel they need a Team President that oversees the entire organization. Someone like JVG would be very good at this, he has the type of intelligence, attention to detail, open mindedness, toughness and personality to be great at running an organization. He also can tell really quickly if a player has the personality and desire to be great… as a coach he had to coach whoever was given to him, in the front office he would have more say.

NIKEstrad, Deuce, Shroopy2 and 7 others like this.
  15. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

Thought I read Brooks has been an Ime guy and Stone has been catering to him this summer. Can't really judge everything right now, but Brooks contract is frontloaded and will be easier to trade later on due to decreasing annual salary and the cap going up. Best-case scenario is he buys into a role and improves his offense. Don't do too much. IF, big IF, he improves his shot and doesn't do too much, he can easily become a fan favorite because he's one of those players you can support being on your team but dislike from afar.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I never would have hired Stone. He wasn’t qualified honestly. He is a good voice in the room but he shouldn’t be THE voice in the room.

The issue is that they won’t just fire him if the Rockets continue to improve. His ability to keep his job is going to come down to how Green, Smith, Thompson, Sengun and Eason do. He can screw up every other small or marginal trade and keep his job if 3-4 of the above players really develop.

With that in mind, that’s why I want someone like JVG to oversee the entire basketball operations - and this IS something that Tilman has looked at, he has poked around but nothing has materialized.

Yung-T, bmelo and Shark44 like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Surely you mean, in addition to our franchise player Alperen Sengun. :cool:

Drift Monkey and Nook like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Brooks is someone that Stone wanted before we even hired Ime Udoka. It may be that Udoka likes him as well, but he was a Stone favorite for awhile.

BaselineFade likes this.
  19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Come on stop it they have to overpay bc only way a player will come to play for us over other team is if we pay them more. That is 100 percent true. What is BS is that no one wanted the players we signed. If the choice was 12 million or china, I am sure brooks would take 12 million. Clearly some other nba team showed interest to drive up the price

20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

This is the stuff that gets a general manager suspended McHale-style if it ever was admitted.