1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutch] TyTy & Garuba were casualties 4 Lopez chase

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 2, 2023.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nah man, that wouldn't work for the Lakers or for us. I know that no one would **** with Pelinka though as compared to Stone because Pelinka will blacklist them among his tons of agent friends.

There's nothing illegal or against the rules in what Lopez did. It's literally just HONOR that upholds this most of the time and 99.9% of the time that's upheld. This is a particularly shitty thing for Lopez and his agency (Wasserman) to do. What we should do is leak around the league that this happened so that GM's understand that Wasserman is willing to do this to them.

However, there's no other recourse. He just screwed us over plain and simple and there's nothing we can do about it as far as I know. The league won't give a sh*t, no matter who the team.

Rokman and jch1911 like this.
  2. Rokman

Rokman Member

I hear ya BUT I still think the league would intercede if some player tried to pull this stunt on the Lakers we just probably wouldn't hear about it.

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Who was Bosh's agent when he backed out? Wasn't it Pelinka? Was DeAndre Jordans agent Jeff Schwartz? (Currently Jokic and others agent).

I just don't know if this makes me confident in Stone. The other side is even if the trade went through, 2 former frp + 3 srp to to pay Brook Lopez $20M+ isn't great in of it self.

Rokman and Mathloom like this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Random conspiracy theory, but I think Donatas Motiejunas was Wasserman...so maybe this is payback for how Rockets handled that situation. o_O

Kinda sucks how things happened (especially if it was bad as reported), but yeah Stone probably should have handled negotiations better and/or had better back-up plans.

Drift Monkey and Mathloom like this.
  6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Not sure who the agents were for those guys. Pelinka wasn't Wasserman though, I think he was CAA (could be wrong).

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

There's nothing the league could do, if they tried to reverse it Lopez would sue them and it would cost the league a lot.

8. Rokman

Rokman Member

I was talking about reversing the trade with Atlanta and other trades. Then again, I still blame Stone for not covering his ass in that deal before executing.

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yeah, who knows man. Like I said just a really sh*tty situation we can't do anything about but accept.

Rokman likes this.
  10. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

and i thought our gm is an attorney, can't believe this loophole happens to our team! :mad:

Rokman and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. RC Cola

It's probably a bad look to agree to terms with other teams then back out, especially if that caused other teams to not agree to other deals. And there are a lot of deals (and potential deals) going around right now.

In this case, I'm not sure ATL really cares either way, but I'm guessing they're not going to be nice and let Stone back out. So yeah you just have to deal with it.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ty Ty and Garuba are both mega scrubs and were deadweight on this roster so meh

ElPigto and Hemingway like this.
  13. Rokman

Rokman Member

Yeah, we talk about Honor and respecting other teams. Fleecing the Rockets of two young first round picks and two seconds plus cash is lowly knowing they just got F'd by a player and walked away with nothing is scuzzy and not honorable but hey, a deal is a deal.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I can't tell you how many years ago the D-Mo debacle even happened at this point, but what I can tell you is that it happened under a different coach, different GM, and different owner. Outside of the team name and the arena they play in, there isn't a single other connection tying this regime to that one.

persian hoopa and RC Cola like this.
  15. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

It seems apparent most players know the rockets are a trashy desperate franchise that they can use as leverage for a payday

Nobody is afraid of burning bridges with poorman in doing so since they dont want to play here anyways

UTSA2step likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

absolutely, they would be gone anyway to give us more ammo in trade or fa. Neither we’re going to see the court. We might not spend it right away. Somebody useful
    Might come up at the deadline. Typical stupid fans pining for the back of bench players on a twenty win team. We got better this offseason and kept our flexibility for next and the year after when it counts

17. RC Cola

Oh it's full on a fun conspiracy theory. It 100 percent not a legit factor.

But let's say it was. Yeah all that stuff changed. But Stone was working contracts back then probably? And BJ Armstrong still works for Wasserman. Hmm.o_O

(Again don't take this seriously)

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Haha damn it, now you have me wondering.....I mean, if you were to believe the reports, we went as high as 2/54 with an understanding that we could even up that to 2/60. At his age, walking away from $12M is a tough ask. It does make you wonder if something else wasn't at play.

RC Cola likes this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Lopez agreed then backed out at the last second, there's not a ton Stone could have done and it's pretty f**ked up. The Rockets couldn't offer Lopez the money, at least officially, until they made the trade. There was always gonna have to be a verbal agreement first before it was official.

However, having said that, there's no way that there's not a similar "this is contingent upon that" verbal agreement when trading players to clear space. I get the feeling Stone still failed to cover bases and this is just PR.

Stone has done a pretty good job drafting, but his overall roster management has consistently left a lot to be desired....and that's being kind. He never seems to maximize value, or even come close.

ElPigto likes this.
  20. RC Cola

Yeah, I'm guessing Brook really just wanted to go back to the Bucks. I wouldn't be surprised if Stone was desperate enough to do a 3 year deal even (at 80-90m).

If you want to go along with the conspiracy theory, Brook and the Wasserman team were just playing with the Rockets.

And when Stone made those deals, found out he wasn't getting a deal with Lopez, and said "You can't do this!"

Wasserman team responded with : "Yes we can. As the Wasserman motto goes...we know our rights!"

Alright that's enough conspiracy theory thinking from me.