1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutch] TyTy & Garuba were casualties 4 Lopez chase

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 2, 2023.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Best to go the other way!

Salaries of current players
    FVV + KPjr + Green + Smith + Thompson + Tate + Sengun + Eason + Whitmore = 102M (to nearest M).
    34M in space (Landale can go into room MLE)
    25M in space (because the 9.33 guys are still on the roster)
    Make the offer to Lopez
    Flip Mills in and out and the 9.33M worth of guys = 16.1M = match able for Brooks deal

I think.

Fail that because Lopez decommits

Sign uncle Jeff?

2. Rokman

Rokman Member

Part of which is probably spending too much time with the star Green in the locker room. They need Green to focus on basketball not Christopher's balls.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So many questions.

Is there nothing like an in-principle agreement you can sign people to in this situation while you make the required trades?

Could we not have done the same thing and pulled out of the trades?

If the situation is truly that we had no choice but to make the trades with a verbal agreement from Lopez, then f*ck Brook Lopez. We dumped THREE FIRST ROUND PICKS and a couple of second rounders and he agreed to a sum of money far higher than what Milwaukee ever offered him until they heard we offered it.

Still, I find it incredibly stupid that they dumped three first rounders and 2 second rounders rather than paying whatever it takes to dump Tate or KPJ. Even Brook Lopez is not worth $24m per year, 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks. I also find it incredibly stupid that we prioritized Brooks over Lopez.

Just a sh*tty situation all round, but here we are. Time to move on.

Rashmon, jch1911 and Rokman like this.
  4. Rokman

Rokman Member

Couldn't agree more. Tilman needs to get rid of Stone and Patrick and hire a competent FO

Hank McDowell likes this.
  5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If this narrative is out there that Lopez backed out of his verbal commitment to the Rockets, and it’s not true and just Rockets PR spin to cover for a mistake, I’d think that Lopez’s camp would put out word that this is categorically false putting the onus back on Stone.

either way, as others have said, even if this is true, novice move by Stone to not have contingencies in place so Houston doesn’t get left holding the bag.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I get not reneging on other deals... don't want to get blacklisted for deals down the road.

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

He should have had the deals as a handshake deal saying we will do these deals IF Brooke Lopez signs with us not just done. How FUKING AMATEUR can you be at your job??? This is like business dealing 101.

Tilman, get rid of this ass clown!

P.S. - This is hands down the WORST assortment of non-shooters I have ever seen brought together in a single team.

FVV - Raptors fans are glad to see his low percentage shot chucking gone.

Brooks - Horrible shooter. What the hell are we doing here. You don't pay $20 mil for just defense.

Jockstrap - Another shooting Challenged player

Amen Thompson - One of THE most broken shots of all time.

Is this some kind of God Damm joke or something?

Again, Tillman, get rid of Stone. He's an idiot.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

NBA moratorium period and intent to sign should be looked at.

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Unfortunate if true.

So...do we just like... not get anything for them though? Seems like some dust is still settling.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Players rarely back out.

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Exactly. I like Stone but I think the current job is too big for him.

futilman likes this.
  12. Rokman

Rokman Member

If this kind of deal happened to the Lakers I GUARANTEE you the league would not have let those other trades happen. No way they let the Lakers get absolutely SCREWED just so they don't hurt other feelings. The trades are so horrendous with absolutely nothing in return that they shouldn't even be permitted to happen..

Tilman needs to grow a sack and deal with this with the League.

He didn't get to being a billionaire by being some b!tch in business dealings.

futilman likes this.
  13. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

yes they give Jeff Green $6M

"Flip Mills in and out", you need to use the cap space to absorb the contract in the first place, if you give $25M to Lopez that leaves 0 cap space to take on Mills contract to facilitate Brooks SnT deal.

Hui likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is enough to make me give up my fandom

futilman, jch1911, Xopher and 3 others like this.
  15. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I remember DeAndre and Bosh in particular.

But players have back out (demanded a trade) one year after signing an agreement. Players are fickle and you should treat dealing with them as such, and understand who have the leverage in each situation. That's part of the job and the most difficult one imo.

I like Stone, but this is showing he's not ready for this job. Might be good lieutenant right now, hope he develops.

futilman likes this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It might come back to us, like getting KPJ in the first place seemed like it was more of a solid from Cleveland since we helped them get Allen.

Looks bad now but the next time we deal with Atlanta they might remember the solid and throw us something.

Sucks right now though and there is nothing saying ATL has to repay the solid we did them by not going back on the deal.

futilman likes this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yes. So obviously we couldn't offer 25M? He got 24M per from the Bucks, which I am sure was more than we could offer.
    You'd have to be more exact with the numbers than I was above, those were quick to illustrate a possible process. But there would need to be enough space available to have Mills going in and out

But perhaps we could only start Lopez at 18-19M and the Bucks came back with 24M - which is a reasonable reason for him to renege.

I think you get what I'm seeing, and I sense you could run the numbers better than me anyway!

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Gets screwed over by Lopez of all people for the bucks.

We lost first round picks that we didn't properly assess or got proper value back for in garuba and tyty but hey we don't want harden, yay!
    /s

Stone is a dumb@$$.

Drift Monkey and futilman like this.
  19. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I will say though that in the grand scheme of things this isn’t a major set back. I don’t think any of these questionable moves and trades where we lost value make a huge difference in the overall trajectory of the team.

but this does shake everyone’s confidence in Stone’s ability to handle the complex deals needed to build a championship contender. If and when we’re there, mistakes like this are difference makers and there’s just no room for error when trying to squeeze out every bit of value of every asset we have. Can’t be wasteful and flippant with the assets. Brooks’ contract May cost us more down the line if we have to move off his contract and by then we may need every asset we have to make bigger moves.

In short, not a huge deal now but that’s not to say it won’t be later and hoping Stone learns now so later when the stakes are higher he doesn’t screw it up.

joshuaao and ArtV like this.
  20. MystikArkitect

Lmao this "Lopez backed out" **** is such a lie. You're really trading 2 players on a gentleman's agreement? Sure thing Mr. Contract Lawyer.

invocux, AroundTheWorld and UTSA2step like this.